Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Bernina

You will love the Bernina after you know how to use most of the things it can do. I have 2 and bought my first one 5 years ago and am still finding things that they can do. Sew, Sew, Sew---

Have a Bernina 1530 bought in '97 to use to make clothing and now for quilting and I love it. In fact it slipped off a table at my LQS a couple of years ago and has kept on ticking without anything being done to it. I do have a couple of other machines but they are in case the Bernina goes to the shop and then I take my Singers FW to class etc as it is easier to carry around. I will be going on my first retreat with the Quilting Guild in April and will probably take the Bernina because of the great stitching and sturdyness of it. It is a great working machine for everything.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Quote Originally Posted by patchsamkim View Post
    I am still sewing on a Bernina 1230 that I bought 20 years ago...it is the best thing I ever bought...you will learn to use the machine and hopefully come to love it as much as I bought mine. Your husband must have thought it was time for you to get a newer machine than the one you have that is about 40 years old. It might be overwhelming now, but once you take your lessons, I am sure you will be thrilled with your Christmas gift!
    Your story is word for word mine as well. I wouldn't part with that machine for anything!!

I have a Bernina 550 QE and I love it. Of course you are feeling a bit overwhelmed and that is normal and once you start using it and taking the classes and getting used to it you will love it too. Kiss your hubby!
    Sandra

Lucky you and your hubby is a keeper! I have a Bernina 440QEE and it is a great machine. I have vintage machines (including a 70s Viking) but the Bernina is queen in my sewing room. Do take the classes and learn about all the wonderful things it can do.You will be singing her praises in no time.

What a sweet guy your husband must be. I have a Bernina 580 which includes the embroidery unit and some other features, but it is in the same family as your 530. There will be a learning curve for you, but don't panic. Your classes will help bunches. There is also a ton of information on the Bernina website, including tutorials, etc. You might browse around there. There is a Yahoo! group for the new Bernina machines (430_440_630_640_730
    Bernina Land) which I've found to be very friendly and helpful. You're gonna love your new machine!

Betty

I have the Bernina 530 also, and I love it. I use it mostly to FMQ, and I bought the BSR just for that. I find it help me a lot as I am new to FMQ.

I have not had any lessons, but I find the manual very helpful.

I have the Bernina 830 with the embroidery attachment. I took lessons 2 years ago when it was new & it was the best decision I ever made concerning this machine. I will go back after Christmas for a refresher course (ad well as get some questions answered regarding a few functions that I had lessons on, but forgot how to apply them, exactly. you will love it if you give it a chance.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

I have a Bernina 1230. I bought it used over 15 yrs ago and it is great! I love it. The only problem I have ever had was my fault - it needed cleaning! LOL! I am sure you will learn how to operate your new sewing machine and will love it.

I bought a used Bernina 430 a few months ago. I have a Singer, but I kept reading about them breaking and being more expensive to fix and replace. I made a baby quilt on the singer and I am hooked on learning quilting. I researched and never thought I'd be able to get a bernina...but I could not pass it up. I love it so far! The manual is easy to follow and she sews like a dream. So solid! Keep at it, I'm sure you'll really enjoy her.

Ditto to everything that has been said here about the Bernina. I have had several models since the late 70's as I upgraded over time. I have loved everyone but my favorite being my 1260. I like it so much that when I had an opportunity to buy another to take with me when I teach classes, I did it.
    I also had Bernina machines in both the high school and middle school where I taught. Great machines with really hard use.
    Give yourself some time, learn to use it and enjoy!

Blog Entries
    You can learn this machine and realize what you have been missing after youget to know it! I have a 830 and its lots different then the one I had but its wonderful machine and can do lots of things

I now have the Bernina 830 which is my third Bernina. I shared your feelings at first too but really like it and wouldn't use any other brand! The Bernina owner and his staff are exceptional!

Blog Entries
    Please relax don't hesitate to ask questions when you go to class. I feel your husband made a great choice and you will fall in love with your Bernina. I have a 730 I don't think there is a better brand on the market. Happy sewing.

You will love the machine as you take the guide classes. I have the 200 and I was overwhelmed at first but it really is not as difficult you might think. You are going to love it and what a wonderful husband.

What a Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
    My husband bought me a Bernina 530 for Christmas. This was a gift that he bought without any hints or requests from me. In fact, it was the furtherest request on my Santa list. Now don't get me wrong, I am deeply grateful and excited, but am feeling alittle overwhelmed by it all. Have tried to thread it and use the auto thread and am even having trouble with that part. Even though I will be taking classes, I am afraid that he has given me a machine that will be difficult to use. I have been using a Viking that was bought in the 1970's. I quilt constantly and thoroughly enjoy the many steps. For those that have this machine or others in the Bernina family, how do you like it? What don't you like about it? I'm hoping that after taking classes, I can resume my enthusiasm but right now I totally feel overwhelmed/dumb/frustrated. Please, please, don't thinK I am ungrateful. I know that money is hard to come by so his generosity is deeply appreciated.
    You are about to enter the sewing venture of your life. I have four Bernina's ending with the 830 which is a true dream. Listen and take notes during class and always refer to your Instruction Book for answers. If you cannot find an answer, just ask on this board and you will get an answer. Your husband truly recognizes quality.

Relax. Take your classes and enjoy your new machine. Any new machine has a learning curve, but you are going to love your new machine once you start to use it.

I have four Berninas and I wouldn't own anything else! There was a little bit of a learning curve, but like someone else said, the dealers are so helpful! Don't stress! You will be in love with it in no time! Enjoy!!!
    Mom to 2 Future Stitchers....Wife to One Great Hubby!
    "Once A Phi Sigma Sigma, Always A Phi Sigma Sigma!"

My DH bought me a machine years ago for Christmas and totally surprised me and I didn't get classes with it, I was a little freaked out at first too but it was a mechanical machine and, with the help of the manual, I figured it out. I still have that machine. You will be amazed at the perks you can now enjoy that your mechanical doesn't have. And if the buttons for the various functions kind of unnerve you, get yourself a pencil and write the functions above the buttons, or tape little post it notes on your machine. The pencil will erase easily when you no longer need it. You'll feel more comfortable after the classes too, there is always a learning curve no matter how experienced a sewer might be. Relax and enjoy!
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

I was just thinking, I have been a Bernina user for 35 years. If my sweetheart gave me a Viking, I would feel the same way you do. Yes, go ahead and do what everyone else suggests, but have you thought of talking to the local shop that the machine was bought about a trade? Try selling it locally and with it new you are likely to get close to the price that your sweetheart paid for it. Then go buy your new Viking. If it were my challenge that is what I would think about.

For the record I have a Bernina 830e and the Quilt shop I bought it from in SD never gave me a class. I use youtube alot. I love it.
    Good Luck and let us know if you become a Bernina user or stay with your Viking.
    Last edited by Buttons922; 12-29-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Not finished, hit the wrong key.

Sometimes we get too comfortable and don't like changes.Schoolteacher? Should be easy for you to tackle it then..Take your time with your new machine and enjoy it.Berninas best made machines.Smart hubby.....
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Wow! I keep returning to this thread to see the replies that have been made. Your comments have made me feel so much better. I am going Sunday for an introductory lesson and then will schedule the classes that they provide. In the mean time, my projects are stacking up to be used on the new machine. Thanks to everyone for your comments--it has reassured me that it will be a fantastic adventure.

Just want to add my support for Bernina...I have the original 830 purchased in mid 70s...and cannot bring myself to ever part with it to upgrade to the newer models...it still sews beautifully....when I bought it, I told myself it would be the only machine I would ever need...and still seems be to true...it was also overwhelmingly at the time with all the stitch options but I took the classes and am still learning as I try new projects....have fun and enjoy the adventure...

Blog Entries
    I have a Bernina 730 and adore it! You need to take your Machine Mastery classes (free for as many times as you want to take them at my local Bernina store). In fact, take the classes, use what you learn, and then go back and take them again. You'll be surprised how much more you'll be able to absorb the second time around when you are more relaxed. You seem a bit frightened and overwhelmed, but be assured that most machines work approximately the same way. It's like when you buy a new car, or borrow a friend's car...they look different but you can quickly get the hang of it. In the case of a Bernina, it is well worth the effort to learn the new machine because you will never go back to any other machine. Bernina is the best machine on the market for stitch quality and performance IMHO. Trust that with helpful teachers, as I have found Bernina teachers to be, you will be a convert in no time! Relax and enjoy this gift, and tell DH he chose the most amazing gift for you!
    Create with joy in your heart!

I just got a Bernina 530, and I love it. I have to still take my lessons, but watched the video, that came with the machine. I takes a little getting used to, but what a "dream machine" you will love it!!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast