Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bernina >

Bernina

Bernina

Old 12-28-2012, 04:39 AM

I had to smile when I read about your concern. I bought a used Bernina and would not even turn it on for four months because I was so afraid of it. Now I'm having a love affair. I learn new things that it will do regularly. It was a year before I found out that it had a reverse button. Each time I learn something new, it's like a new gift. I hope you learn to love yours as much as I love mine.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:00 AM

I know exactly how you feel. Don't worry, you will learn everything. It is fun. I have a bernina 430 and was so intimidated by it. Now I just zippy dip. I am still learning about the stitches, and oh boy is that fun. Just sit down with the manual and go for it. It is not difficult. I love the automatic threader, I too thought Oh I will never get this, but I did the first time after I was showed how. Believe me just chill.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 AM

I too am still learning about mine and I have had it five years.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 AM

What a sweet hubby!!!! I have 2 Bernina's and I can't imagine quilting without them. I have had many different machines but the Bernina is top in my opinion. It is a work horse. Just don't even think about it until you take your classes. With time you will come to love it I'm sure.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 AM

Default Bernins

I want to encourage you to learn and love your new Bernina! I bought my first Bernina right after marriage in 1960 and in 52 years have only had four different Bernina's. I currently have the 440QE and I love it - would never own anything other than a Bernina. Being a quilting teacher, I see many students struggling and complaining but never the students who own a Bernina! Be patient but take as many lessons as you can.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 AM

I have a Bernina 180 which is my travel machine and a 550. The needle threader is a little tricky and if you want to use it just keep plugging away. Most of the time I just thread mine manually. I should use the threader more often and get use to it. I got the 550 because the 180 has an embroidery module I've never used and I didn't need another machine with a feature I wouldn't use.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 AM

Nothing sews like a Bernina, nothing! I have a Bernina Activa and love it. Mine has several decorative stitches without all the other bells & whistles but I don't miss 'em at all. It sews that good!!!! Nobody touches my Bernina but me, nobody... Been sewing on it for years and haven't had it serviced yet but probably need to Love it!!
Old 12-28-2012, 06:56 AM

I have a bernina 550, which is just a work horse, and also bernina 830, and both are fabulous machines. Both machines have BSRegulators, and I love it for quilting. It is very important to keep your new machine clean and oiled every 8 hours of sewing. I especially love the 550, it is not as complicated as the 830 (embroidery machine). Once you have had your lessons, you will feel more comfortable and your machine will grow on you. I'm sure you are feeling overwhelmed, as I was, before the lessons. I think your husband made a great choice for you.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:08 AM

Thank you all for your replies. Schoolteacher and I are going through the same experience. My mechanical Elna died a couple of years ago and I bought a gently used Bernina 1630 with owners manual and have been trying to fall in love with it ever since. I am determined that machine and I are going to become beyond good friends or even the best of friends but it is a tough go.

My next project is to figure out how to embroider words, the size I want them to be, with it.

I am determined and pig headed so it is going to happen. And your kindness and support are really appreciated.

All that "vini, vici ...." stuff and forward!

Pat
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 AM

Congratulations on your new Bernina! I have the 150QE and just recently gifted myself with the 830. They are overwhelming, but my dealer is fantastic. I did take the beginning class which included threading, cleaning, etc. but I go in frequently and they demonstrate whatever I need. I've never had an embroidery machine, so that's a HUGE learning curve. U-tube is FULL of demo's which are amazing. My suggestion - leave both machines set up if you have the room. Tackle one issue at a time and get comfortable with it before trying another.