Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best cutting mat & where to buy? >

Best cutting mat & where to buy?

Best cutting mat & where to buy?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:52 PM

Olfa girl here as well. I'd do the Joanns coupon thing also. That said, I got a fabulous deal at a not so LQS a couple of years ago and purchased a large one there.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:00 PM

To save money on my last mat I entered "Self-healing mats from School Supplies." Got my 36" mat for about $35.00 which included shipping. Happy hunting!
Old 05-07-2014, 05:11 PM

before you replace your mat, try soaking it for an hour in luke warm water and a cup of white vinegar. It willl really help. I learned this from Fons & Porter. I use Fiskars, way cheaper and they have lasted a long time
Old 05-07-2014, 05:30 PM

Until last year, I'd always used Olfa's. In the span of under 3 months, I broke not one, but two. Well, DH broke one of them and I the other - both the same way. Taking them to a class when it was cold - they became brittle and cracked when moved.

At about the same time, I'd started getting notices for Martelli's red line promotions. I now have 2 of their mats as well as their revolving one. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I can feel the difference when cutting, it's more cushioned and much smoother. They can be ROLLED for storage. They won't warp in the heat or crack in the cold. And - get this - you can IRON on it! I've done it. The first time was scary, for sure, and not sure I'd recommend it as a constant thing to do. In this case, I was at a class where we used fusible interfacing, placed small pieces of fabric on it, and when satisfied with the layout, fused it down. everyone else had to transfer their fusible web, very carefully so as not to disturb their planned design. Meanwhile, I took the iron and pressed the fabric to the fusible right where it was laying on my mat!

If you sign up for their redline promo's, which is not the same as signing up for their newsletter, you'll get e-mails of upcoming sales. Each time they feature a different one of their products. Sometimes it's their blades and cutter, sometimes mats, sometimes templates or rulers. Once or twice a year, it's for all of their products. Fifty percent off is still expensive, but honestly, I can't imagine ever having to replace this.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have an Alvin mat that I love. It's my 2nd one - I still have my first one but I got a bigger cutting table so I bought a larger mat! The Alvin mats are black on one side, green on the other, so you can decide which works best for you. I like that it also has a zero-out line about halfway across the mat, with numbers counting outwards from both sides of that line - great for helping center blocks before trimming. I bought both of mine from Amazon and they shipped them flat, not rolled up.

I definitely recommend the biggest mat you can fit...you'll always want just a couple inches more mat than you have!

My very first mat was an Olfa and I think the Alvin mats are softer and are lasting longer...but I have to admit I did abuse my Olfa mat by cutting things with an exacto blade on it. I think those mats are really only for rotary blades, not straight blades!
I have an Alvin as well. I think the quality is just as good as quilting brands. It's also a much thicker mat and cheaper so you can get a bigger size for your money.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
Until last year, I'd always used Olfa's. In the span of under 3 months, I broke not one, but two. Well, DH broke one of them and I the other - both the same way. Taking them to a class when it was cold - they became brittle and cracked when moved.

At about the same time, I'd started getting notices for Martelli's red line promotions. I now have 2 of their mats as well as their revolving one. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them. I can feel the difference when cutting, it's more cushioned and much smoother. They can be ROLLED for storage. They won't warp in the heat or crack in the cold. And - get this - you can IRON on it! I've done it. The first time was scary, for sure, and not sure I'd recommend it as a constant thing to do. In this case, I was at a class where we used fusible interfacing, placed small pieces of fabric on it, and when satisfied with the layout, fused it down. everyone else had to transfer their fusible web, very carefully so as not to disturb their planned design. Meanwhile, I took the iron and pressed the fabric to the fusible right where it was laying on my mat!

If you sign up for their redline promo's, which is not the same as signing up for their newsletter, you'll get e-mails of upcoming sales. Each time they feature a different one of their products. Sometimes it's their blades and cutter, sometimes mats, sometimes templates or rulers. Once or twice a year, it's for all of their products. Fifty percent off is still expensive, but honestly, I can't imagine ever having to replace this.
I signed up for the redline sales but it only said they will add you as they have room or something. So I honestly do not know if I'm on the list. I am hoping so because I want to get a mat from there.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 PM

i would whole heartedly recommend the olfa mats over any other brand. the fiskers mat i bought on sale proves the old adage: you get what you pay for.

aileen
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM

I have an Olfa and decided to replace it - it was cracked and well worn. Got a Elan Miracle Mat at a local quilt shop and really like it. Think it will be better or as good as my Olfa which is about 14 yrs old.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
I have 2 Olfa mats. Both are about 25 years old and still going strong. I can't say the best place to buy - one was from Joann's when they were having a terrific sale. The other one I got in a starter quilting kit. I was told they last longer if you soak them in water from time to time. I did one, because it fit in the sink, I don't have a big enough place for the other one. I do have a white mat - believe it is from Dritz, not sure. A friend bought it because she uses her kitchen table, it was large, a great price, however storage was a problem for her so gave it to me.

You definitely want a self-healing mat, your blades last a LOT longer with them.
I stood mine up in the shower last week to soak mine better than not being able to wet it at all. Just an idea.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:15 AM
Vat

Martelli is my far the best I have ever used. They are a litte pricey but well worth every cent. I dont think anyone that has Martelli has mentioned they are double sided, so two for the price of one. Their rotary cutters are also the best , you might want to give it a try. They take a little bit toe used to but are wondeful.