Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best cutting mat & where to buy? >

Best cutting mat & where to buy?

Best cutting mat & where to buy?

Old 05-08-2014, 06:12 AM

I love my Alvin mats but you ladies are making me want to try out a Martelli! I just don't know where I could go see one in person!

I'll have to pay close attention at the LQS - they rotary cut the fabric and they have huge mats, I never thought to check what brand they are.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:32 PM

I am used to the Olfa mats and like them. After reading raves here about the Martelli mat, my husband gifted me with one at Christmas. I don't like it as the surface is very hard. I go back to my old Olfas. Just my experience.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:39 PM

I have a "June Taylor that I bought at Walmart that I have been using for eight years, have heat warped it a couple times, (When it gets warped, I just use my blow dryer to heat it up, then stack heavy books or magazines on it until it cools and it is flat again). It is still like new. I know that it was the least expensive way to get a 24"x24" cutting mat at the time I bought it. I like that it has a molded in handle for hanging it out of the way. When I bought it, I planned to get a better one when I had the money, but never saw any reason to buy another.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Unlike the other posters, I don't like Olfa - I don't find the markings are as clear as my Omnigrid ones. I've had my smaller one 4 years now. I hardly ever use the Olfa one.
I also read somewhere that not only is it best to have your rulers the same brand for consistency, but your mat too. Not sure if I believe this though!
They don't have to be the same as long as you are only measuring your project with one or the other. If you switch back and forth, nothing will match well.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:55 PM

Ii bought one for mother's day. Joann's has 50% off of cutting mats right now.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Unlike the other posters, I don't like Olfa - I don't find the markings are as clear as my Omnigrid ones. I've had my smaller one 4 years now. I hardly ever use the Olfa one.
I also read somewhere that not only is it best to have your rulers the same brand for consistency, but your mat too. Not sure if I believe this though!
I agree. I love Fiskars. Olfa mats tend to be too slippery for me.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:11 AM

If anyone is interested cutting-mat.net has a great buying guide with lots of info. They sell many brands and sizes so the info covers a lot of questions you might have.
Old 05-09-2014, 03:42 AM

I have had many others, but the Martelli is way better. Worth waiting for their 1/2 off sale.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:05 AM

Default what to avoid

I have several, in many sizes, and they are all fine. Whatever you buy, most definitely avoid the generic ones sold at Joann's. The measurement markings are off by 1/4" by the time you are halfway across them! Possibly due to being printed while on a roller of some sort...stretches the surface? Stick to brand-names for best accuracy...Olfa or Fiskars, and maybe think about a light-colored one and a darker-colored one for visual help. Also, for use at classes, Omnigrid makes folding portable cutting mats/ironing surfaces in several sizes. I have two small ones that I take with me. Very portable, and keeps me sewing while others are lined up at an ironing board with a possibly icky iron.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 AM
Swap Hosts

Absolutely OLFA self-healing for me. As big as you can get one. Where to buy? Joann or Michael's and always always always with a 50% off coupon.