Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best invention yet >

Best invention yet

Best invention yet

Old 01-21-2014, 01:46 PM

Yes, I bought the "lighted edge" ones. I was expecting a battery light, but it is only yellow acrylic. BUT, it works as if it has a light in it. The way the overhead lights bounce thru the acrylic it beams out the edge and I am SO glad I bought that one instead of the plain one. I love it.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:47 PM

Any idea of the shipping cost to Canada? I can't find any mention of shipping on the Slide Lock website.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
OK, I bought a June Taylor Pro @ JAF for Xmas and I am very disappointed in it. I have to struggle to get my rotary cutter into the slots. I had come across this item in a post on QB and told my friend in Texas (also a member of the board) about the post. She bought both sizes immediately.

My questions are
Where did you buy it?
What size did you buy?
What color did you get?
How much pressure do you have to put on the ruler??
How difficult is it to change from looking at lines on a ruler to using the grid on the mat??

I just don't want to buy anything that won't work for me. I have lost over half of my motor coordination but I am still making just tops for charity. You have to have something to do when you become disable !! I have NEVER cut myself with a rotary cutter but now I am really concern with safety!! THANKS
Maniac, I have the JT slot ruler - the big one - and I love it. That said, I did not love it when I was using the blue Fiskars either-hand rotary cutter because it won't let you get the cutter into the slot properly. Boy did I gakk up my JT. When light dawned over Marblehead here, I bought myself an Olfa which for some reason works perfectly. In fact both the 45 and the 60 Olfas work great. Don't throw the ruler out - try a new cutter!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

These rulers were first sold as RuleSteady and made for safety. I bought mine in 2007. I bought the SlideLock rulers when they were available. They are fine but I like the Rule Steady much better.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by HMK View Post
I tend to shave tiny bits off my Omnigrid rulers & over time, it makes a difference in my cutting. Was wondering if this would happen to this ruler guide since you still cut along the edge with a rotary cutter?
It mentioned in the video that the plastic is a lot thicker so you are less likely to nick the ruler.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:58 PM

These are considerably thicker than the rulers used for rotary cutting. I have not nicked mine at all. Sadly, I can't say the same for my rulers.

I have used mine on top of a ruler, which was on top of the fabric. It was not nearly as slip-free as when used directly on the fabric. This makes sense, as the pressure created when the balls on the bottom of the Slidelock are engaged is created against the ruler - not against the fabric.

My preferred rulers are Creative Grids - not because of the built in grippers, but because of their markings. So I just put a piece of yardage, folded twice, on my mat. When I put the CG ruler on it, while pressing it down as hard as I can, the whole thing will still move on my mat. When I put the Slide Lock on the fabric and press down without straining, the fabric didn't move until I pressed down and pushed away from my body as hard as I could - and even then, it didn't move easilly. I wish I could video it to show you!

I've tried lots of ruler slip prevention tips, tools and gadgets. My favorite prior to this were the True Grips, but there was still inevitably some wiggle, or variation, when cutting more than 2 or 3 layers. In addition to the strip of acrylic and wood handle, there are balls the length of the Slide Lock that are engaged with light pressure on the handle. They go through holes the length of the Slide Lock that they go through, onto the surface of the fabric itself. It's not a matter of pressing harder to get the ruler to not move, it's that the balls are actually in contact with the fabric. Release the handle, the balls are disengaged, and the Slide Lock slides across the fabric.

As far as using the June Taylor Shape cut with a different cutter - I didn't try that, but had used two different Shape Cuts with an Olfa rotary cutter and didn't like them at all.

Having not heard of the Rule Steady, I looked it up. Currently, the price is about $10 more than the longer Slide Lock. That's before shipping, which I didn't check.

Last edited by peaceandjoy; 01-21-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM

another neat tool that I had never heard of until now.looks like a great tool.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy View Post
These are considerably thicker than the rulers used for rotary cutting. I have not nicked mine at all. Sadly, I can't say the same for my rulers.

I have used mine on top of a ruler, which was on top of the fabric. It was not nearly as slip-free as when used directly on the fabric. This makes sense, as the pressure created when the balls on the bottom of the Slidelock are engaged is created against the ruler - not against the fabric.

My preferred rulers are Creative Grids - not because of the built in grippers, but because of their markings. So I just put a piece of yardage, folded twice, on my mat. When I put the CG ruler on it, while pressing it down as hard as I can, the whole thing will still move on my mat. When I put the Slide Lock on the fabric and press down without straining, the fabric didn't move until I pressed down and pushed away from my body as hard as I could - and even then, it didn't move easilly. I wish I could video it to show you!

I've tried lots of ruler slip prevention tips, tools and gadgets. My favorite prior to this were the True Grips, but there was still inevitably some wiggle, or variation, when cutting more than 2 or 3 layers. In addition to the strip of acrylic and wood handle, there are balls the length of the Slide Lock that are engaged with light pressure on the handle. They go through holes the length of the Slide Lock that they go through, onto the surface of the fabric itself. It's not a matter of pressing harder to get the ruler to not move, it's that the balls are actually in contact with the fabric. Release the handle, the balls are disengaged, and the Slide Lock slides across the fabric.

As far as using the June Taylor Shape cut with a different cutter - I didn't try that, but had used two different Shape Cuts with an Olfa rotary cutter and didn't like them at all.

Having not heard of the Rule Steady, I looked it up. Currently, the price is about $10 more than the longer Slide Lock. That's before shipping, which I didn't check.
I bought a rule steady about a year ago and don't find it effective at all, the slide lock is definitely superior.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:18 PM

I watched the video and it makes it look like a must have tool. I am going to check into getting one. Sounds like the lighted edge is the one to get.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 AM

Like some others mentioned - when using the June Taylor Shape cutter - sometimes they wiggle. I use my SlideLoc on the slot next to where I'm cutting to prevent unwanted movement.