Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best long arm for tension issues >

Best long arm for tension issues

Best long arm for tension issues

Old 07-27-2014, 03:27 AM

Default Best long arm for tension issues

Hi everyone. I continue to have tension issues with my long arm and am considering selling it. Is there a long arm brand out there that rarely has tension issues? My machine has issues even if I haven't changed thread or a bobbin or a pattern. I'm really tired of picking out loops underneath and constantly monitoring the under side to see if the tension has changed.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:20 AM

You haven't mentioned what long arm machine you have that your having tension problems with. Do you have a "Towa Bobbin Case Tension Gauge" to help you with the tension in your bobbins? If not I recommend getting one (they aren't cheap around $70.) but they sure help take the frustration out of setting the perfect tension in you bobbin case.

If your getting loops underneath I am willing to bet that your bobbin tension is way too tight & your top tension might not be tight enough. If your getting loops on your curves underneath you are probably going way to fast on those curves.

So before getting rid of your machine get a Towa gauge, there are two sizes, most long arms take a "M" so check before getting one. Also make sure that you have the correct needles for your machine. Different machines take different needles.

Good luck & don't give up.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:23 AM

I have a Gammill Vision 18/8 and rarely have tension issues. However, I use the Towa Bobbin Gauge with every bobbin change to check my tension. I rarely need to adjust the top thread tension. Only when I am changing from Permacore Thread to Glide Thread. I also keep a muslin sandwich by my machine that I check the stitching when I start each day.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:39 AM
Power Poster

Before you throw in the towel, watch this video. This method works for me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Have you contacted your dealer and taken advantage of the free owners classes? It can make a huge difference in your success. The problem could be some easily fixed needed adjustment or step you are missing. Anyone can have tension problems with any (brand ) of machine... Seldom does it really have anything to do with a particular brand machine Once learned correctly. If you have not (bothered with) the free classes there is a good possibility you may have the same problems with whatever new brand you try
Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I have an Innova, don't have a Towa gauge, and rarely have tension problems. However when I first got the machine there was a learning curve. Some of the things to check, in addition to your tension settings -

Do you need to replace the check spring on the tension disk? They wear out and are easily replaced. It makes a huge difference.

Is there any lint stuck in your bobbin case?

Are your bobbins wound evenly? (If your tension changes as you quilt, this could be the problem.)

Is your quilt loaded too tightly?

And it sounds obvious, but is your machine threaded correctly? Some require more than one loop around the tension disk to get good tension. And if you're missing any of the thread guides it could cause a problem.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:20 AM

I have a Pfaff power quilter P3. It's only 1 1/2 years old. The bobbin is wound on the machine as it is running. I have had training and I speak to my dealer regularly. Before I started the quilt I'm working on now I had to adjust the tension by turning it 3 full turns. It worked well until I got to the end of the computerized row, then when I started the next row I had loops underneath again. They are all over, not just on the curves. I fixed that with one turn the opposite way, then I think I did another few rows, putting new bobbins in as needed, then for no obvious reason the tension went wonky again. I turned it 2 full turns the opposite way and it's almost right, so once more should do it, but I don't understand why I'd have to turn it 3 turns to get it right, then eventually have to turn it back 3 to keep the tension correct. I'm really tired of taking messy stitches out and as luck would have it, this is one of those patterns that kind of goes up and down a bit before moving over so I can't really tell if the stitches look good until there are plenty to rip out.

I decided to walk away from it today so I wouldn't scream and rip the quilt off the frame.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:25 AM

I use a dry paint brush to clean the bobbin area whenever I change it. I don't think the quilt is too tight. It's got a little looseness in it and is loaded the way my dealer taught me to load them. I have a take up bar so I don't have to lift the back bar.

My dealer came out and fixed the machine recently because something else was wrong with it. He checked everything then so I doubt the spring on the disk is a problem. It is threaded correctly. I always double check that because that was a mistake I made more than once when I first got the machine.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

It certainly sounds as if the problem is the machine!

Personally, I would get an Innova with lightning stitch. Innova users seem to be the happiest longarm quilting group, and Innova provides 24/7 phone support. There are a couple of Innova groups at http://groups.yahoo.com you could join that might help you decide on options. Here is the Innova website:
http://www.innovalongarm.com/

Granted, some tension issues are possible on any longarm. I just think they are less common with the Innova, and also more easily fixed when they happen because of Innova phone support.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:19 PM

It can be a " little thing" that can cause tension nightmares.........needle might not be perfectly centered, your bobbin may not be in the bobbin case correctly...mine must turn counterclockwise or else! Bobbin might be too loose...when you hold the thread and drop the bobbin, does it just slide down very slowly, drop like a rock or not move at all......on my machine, it should just drop slowly.........that little screw on side controls that...is the case perfectly round....dropped case can get a dent and throw the whole process off......each machine has its basic things that allow it to make the perfect stitch....it's up to the owner to find and keep in check those fine points.......