Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The best reaction to a gifted quilt. >

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

The best reaction to a gifted quilt.

Old 12-14-2016, 01:24 PM

Every year I make a raffle quilt for our church, which was about a month later than the quilt I made for a co-worker for their 25th wedding anniversary. I always show them the quilt I am making and when I brought HERS to deliver it to her, she thought it was the church raffle quilt. I said, "It's always hard to make a quilt the right colors not knowing who will win it" and she threw the quilt over her shoulders and said, "Well, THIS one would match MY bedroom!". I then said, "Well, it IS for you. Happy Anniversary". She said, "This is for ME?" and tears rolled down her cheek. I've given away absolutely EVERY quilt I have made since I started quilting in the early 80's (I only have the one I made my mother for her 90th & got it back when she passed 9 years ago) but this reaction was one of the best.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:33 PM

Last year my nephew asked me to make a quilt from the uniforms he had worn when he was involved in Operation Enduring Freedom in the middle east. He was very happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails img_0715.jpg  
Old 12-14-2016, 02:05 PM

My granddaughter and her new husband opened their white wedding quilt which I had spent years quilting and both burst into tears over it.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:40 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Several years ago members of this board helped me complete a Military Barracks Quilt Project wherein we made and sent 128 quilts to an Army battalion stationed in Farah, Afghanistan. Mostly the men who received these quilts were quite young and had never been away from home before. For the first 4-6 months their living situation was minimal and uncomfortable. Our quilts helped to brighten their beds and were a hug from home. The pictures we received of some of the soldiers unpacking the boxes with their quilts put tears in our hearts along with the smiles we saw on their faces. I'm so sorry I did not save the photos to share with you again. For me, that was the best reception of gift quilts ever!

Jan in VA
Old 12-14-2016, 05:20 PM

My water aerobics teacher has 5 children. I made them each a quilt. I received 5 of the nicest notes saying it was the nicest gift and they appreciated the work. It's been a few years and they still thank me when they see me. The notes were much more than just saying "thanks for the blanket." Last year I made a very simple baby quilt for someone. The thank you note said that the baby would cherish it and pass it down to his children and grandchildren. It almost made me feel bad the quilt wasn't more grand. It's wonderful reading everyone's responses.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:38 PM

Maryb, your quilts are wonderful, and you, I'm sure are your nephews's heroine! I have a suitcase full of my son's t-shirts. He passed away on the 4th of July in 21013 from cancer at the age of 35. I still just can't bring myself to open that suitcase, but I know that someday I will. His only son was almost 13 when he passed, and they were best of friends. My grandson is now 16, still missing his dad, and I plan to make home a quilt for his High school graduation. All in due time!
Old 12-14-2016, 06:52 PM

Several years ago I made my first Dresden plate quilt for my friend who had a business in Portland, Oregon to hang in his business lobby. I called it "My version of a Rainbow", and he was thrilled because no one had ever sewn anything for him before. He sold his business a couple years ago and started running his own fruit Orchard in Central Oregon, the quilt went into his farm house to make the place look "homey". Last April they had some kind of explosion on the farm that he was caught in, and had to be air-lifted to the burn center OHSU to be cared for. They had him in a drug induced coma because his burns covered most of his upper body and his lungs were burnt. When they brought him out of the coma, his first question was "Did I burn my face?" And the second one was "Where is my quilt? I need my quilt!". His wife made a special trip back home to get his quilt because he was convinced that he had to have it to heal. Made me proud to have been able to give him such comfort, knowing what kind of future he faced. Today he is still wearing his pressure garments ("blue to match his eyes" he told me) to reduce the scarring, and says he doesn't care that it does not match his brightly colored quilt. Best use of fabric in my life.

Here is a link to the quilt, and some photos of it.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...u-t222786.html
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:10 PM

I have been very fortunate this year, with expressions and actions to receivers of especially 3 quilts this year. My 6 year old grandson, that we don't know very well, was so happy with an I spy quilt that I made and gave to him, he said grandma, there are so many different things on this , then he put it on the floor and rolled up in it. And at our family Christmas (we have Christmas early) I gave my two son-in-laws couch quilts, one was an Elvis Quilt and the other was Star Trek, their favorite things. They could not get over the work that went into the quilts, and went over every inch, saying this is when. I was so pleased that the three of them are enjoying their quilts.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:41 PM

I've gotten the usual "WOW!", or "thanks", but the very best reaction came from my son. Three years ago I made him a deer quilt for his 33rd birthday. He cried when he said it was the best gift he had ever gotten in his entire life! (I got the best hug of my life!) It's on his couch, and he uses it all the time. He's joked how no other gift can ever measure up!
Old 12-14-2016, 08:55 PM
mim

I made a quilt for my MIL -- second marriage and I hand sewed and hand quilted it. She cried and said that no one had ever made her anything.

Just before she died she gave I back to me --she didn't want it to be "stolen off her dead body" I gave it to my sister because her GD would love and treasure it

Mmim
Attached Thumbnails louise-quilt-bettys-2.jpg