Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best rotary cutter? >

Best rotary cutter?

Best rotary cutter?

Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM

Thank you very much, each and every one of you. For the fantastic answers, and for your kind hospitality.
I am 59 y/o, and it's a little embarrassing to say, but I am just now getting ready to stick my toe into the world of quilting.
Please pray for my quilting and that I actually stick with it. I've tried a hundred hobbies, get obsessed with em, and then lose interest. But God is good! And He answers prayer, so...
Old 06-09-2016, 12:04 PM

Welcome to the board! I'm a lefty as well, so I understand wanting tools that work for you. Fortunately, most rotary cutters aren't differentiated - you can just change which side the blade is attached on to make them left handed.

I'm in the minority, but personally, I don't like Olfa cutters. My go-to rotary cutter is my Martelli ergo cutter. I have the older model, but I like it so much I'm probably going to get the new one in the next year or so. This is one of the few cutters that is hand-specific, so make sure you order the left-handed version. https://www.martellinotions.com/shop...5mm-left-hand/

There is a bit of a learning curve to the Martelli cutter, but once you get used to it, I find it really outstanding. You can get it from Connecting Threads, Amazon, or probably other suppliers for less than Martelli sells it on their website.

The other cutter I like is the Kai rotary cutter, sold by Dritz and Omnigrid. https://www.amazon.com/Omnigrid-2050...=rotary+cutter I especially like this one for paper piecing, where you stop frequently and trim. The blade guard retracts on this cutter when you apply pressure, and it closes automatically, so you can't leave it with the blade exposed. The handle is nice and plump, so it fits my hand better than most other stick-style cutters. You also don't have to change anything to use this one left-handed - no blade switching - which I find convenient (especially when I'm sharing a cutter with my right-handed mom).

I'm a gadget-lover, so I've tried lots of rotary cutters, and these two are the styles I like best. I have different sizes for different purposes as well; if you're just starting out, 45mm is a good all-purpose size.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:12 PM

I too am left-handed but I cut with both hands............I am a HUGE Martelli fan, and I love their ergonomic cutters and their self-healing mats..........If you sign up for their Redline Direct sales, 4 or 5 times a year they have both cutters and blades on sale for 50% off............Some sales include mats as well...........Good luck!!
Old 06-09-2016, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by SofaBear View Post
Oh my goodness, I never thought of that! I believe I will buy the cheapest cheapie locally until I can order a good one when the weather is cool. Thank you!
OR you can order a Martelli mat because they DO NOT WARP.....You can leave it rolled up in a closed car in direct sun all day, un-roll it and it will flatten right out....................Just my 2 cents' worth...
Old 06-09-2016, 01:51 PM

Martelli blades are 50% off right now with the code BLADES50 ! https://www.martellinotions.com/
Old 06-09-2016, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i prefer Olfa cutters.
i think they do make left-handed cutters, but couldn't swear to that.
There cutters are double sided so you just switch to the other side I believe.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 PM

For me I love the olfa quick change I have the 60mm and also the 45mm splash and purple one. I also have a 45mm gingher which is also nice but ever since I bought the splash I hardly use the gingher. I do also have the olfa ergonomic but find I get a cleaner cut with the quick change models so I put the safety style cutter in my daughters sewing box because it is the type that closes automatically even if you don't lock it so there is never an exposed blade. Nothing beats olfa IMHO
Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
You left-handers ...be on the lookout at JoAnn Fabrics. I've seen several times a Ghingher rotary cutter (60 mm) for left-handers for a ridiculous price (I can't remember the price, but I was thinking I would try to "become" left-handed for that price)!

I often salivate over the Ghinger rotary cutters. Does anyone have one and is it worth the money?
They are really comfortable to use and I found the blades stay sharp long. I like it better than muy olfa ergo, however I got the olfa quick change splash so now I hardly use my gingher anymore but I got mine off ebay for way cheaper than joanns even with the coupon.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:00 PM

I am another Martelli lover. I 've had several over the years, Fiskars, Olfa, Dritz, but never tried a Martelli until I got a part-time job at a Bernina dealer/fabric shop after retirement 1 1/2 years ago. After using them (the Martelli) at work to cut fabric all day, I now have 2 of them at home. I find them much easier on my wrist (which has had surgery to remove a ganglion cyst). I am a righty, but Martelli makes a lefty version.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:40 PM

Olfa is my favorite.