Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Best rotary cutter? >

Best rotary cutter?

Best rotary cutter?

Old 06-09-2016, 07:37 AM

I wouldn't trade my Olfa matt and cutter for anything. Although I have a 28 cutter, I rarely use it. I have cut many layers with my 45. I put a new blade in if I'm going to cut many layers. I have cut a Buggy Barn pattern by dividing the block into 2 piles and successfully cut with my 45. I believe Olfa makes their cutters so you can reverse the blade and make it left handed. Look on their website.
Sue
Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 AM
Banned

I have the Olfa (all sizes and 2-4 of some sizes) auto retractable blade)
also have the True Cut Ergo (bent handle), and another brand (that I don't
like).

I really like the Olfa's and True Cut cutters.

As for cutting mats I have about 4-6 different brands, but have discovered
that my newest cutting mat which I got on Amazon is my favorite so far.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I use an Olfa straight-handled cutter. I'm a leftie too, but I can cut with both hands. Also use a green Olfa mat.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:04 AM

You left-handers ...be on the lookout at JoAnn Fabrics. I've seen several times a Ghingher rotary cutter (60 mm) for left-handers for a ridiculous price (I can't remember the price, but I was thinking I would try to "become" left-handed for that price)!

I often salivate over the Ghinger rotary cutters. Does anyone have one and is it worth the money?
Old 06-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I have all brands and sizes. My pegboard has two long hooks filled with rotary cutters. I like the big straight handle ones like Fons and Porter and the dark blue Dritz one. Olfa has a quick change one that is a time saver when changing a blade. Gingher feels good in the hand and it's weighted. Fiskars use to have a gray ergo one that I like for the blade retraction. Clover feels good in the hand too. I have some lesser known brands and honestly if they have a new blade they all work fine for me.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:14 AM

The one that doesn't get a nick when it runs over a pin! LOL
Old 06-09-2016, 09:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by NoraB View Post

I often salivate over the Ghinger rotary cutters. Does anyone have one and is it worth the money?
I have two. One was a present from a Secret Pal and one I bought at a Flash sale on Facebook for $20 with five blades. I think my Secret Pal shopped the same Flash Sale. LOL. Love Flash Sales on Facebook.

I like them but would only buy it on sale.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:21 AM

I prefer Fiskars, have several styles of them. As a gift, I gave a leftie new quilter the Martelli ergonomic one for left handed quilters. Several years later, I heard her tell someone she never could use it comfortably. She was also new to sewing and being taught by her mother-in-law and always used her expensive olfa cutter. There is a difference in how you hold each one. I bought the 28mm cutter after Sharlene Jorgenson recommended the 28 mm cutter for small circles & curves.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
For what?. I like the tiny Olfa one for cutting curves against a template. I like the 45mm bent handled Olfa for every day cuttng.
This is the only one I use as I like the blade to retract in case it is dropped.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Be careful NOT to order a mat online during the summer heat. They will most lucky arrive warp since they have been in the delivery truck all day.
Oh my goodness, I never thought of that! I believe I will buy the cheapest cheapie locally until I can order a good one when the weather is cool. Thank you!