Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BIG cutting matts.  Are they useful? >

BIG cutting matts. Are they useful?

BIG cutting matts. Are they useful?

Old 03-31-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by taj334
I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?
I've had one for at least 15 years, which pre-dated my quilting, and still love it. For years I stored it slid behind an upright chest of drawers but now I have a craft table big enough for it to lay flat. Maybe they made them better back then but mine hasn't grooved badly at all.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:30 PM

I love my big mat :-P :-P
Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 AM

I have one that is reasonably large (for me) and then have several smaller sizes as well. I have taken skirt hangers and have put fabric between the mat and the hanging part and have hung them up in the back wall of my closet – haven’t had any problems and they are out of the way when company/family comes over. This seems to work for me
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by taj334
I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?
Be careful with that mat. I think this is the one I just bought. It may not be self healing. I got their mat that is 36 x 60 which was regularly $69. for $35 with a 50% off coupon. It is not however, self healing. We had several people using it for three weeks. Some of the work we did required a box cutter type knife and it went all the way through the mat. I have used self healing mats the same way and they did not slice all the way through. This one did....

Yes! Big mats are absolutely great for me. Especially if I have a group of people working at the same table. Also for stretching out a large piece of material. Also, for pinning a quilt sandwich. As long as it's self healing - the bigger the better for me.