Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG cutting matts. Are they useful?

if my cutting table was 36x60 I'd for sure have one, mine is 24x36, covers the cutting surface perfectly, I love it!

I would love to have that large of mat and going to save up for one because my mat has had a lot of use and showing it.

If I had the space i would get one. right now my big mat is 24x36. It fits nicely on my folding table(24x48).

The bigger the better I think.

Blog Entries
    You can store it easy. Hang it in the closet using the skirt/pants clip hanger.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    You also don't want your mats to freeze (ask me how I know this) LOL. It can easily become brittle and shatter like a window pane.Omnigrid will NOT replace them if this happens. :lol:
    :XD:

I actually have 2 large mats [bought on sale years ago] for squaring up quilts. I only use them on the bigger projects. I store them under my bed so they won't warp or look unsightly. I have flat tile flooring in the bedroom./ Actually, that is also where I store my big roll of batting too.

I use my 17" x 24" mat on top of my cutting table for most everything except the big stuff, as it is the right height for me.

ali

My cutting mat story. My daughter and I were moving her 13 hours away. My Bernina was in the van and my cutting mat was in the back of her firebird. We were very excited because we were going to make curtains and placemats etc for her new apartment. By the time we got there, the cutting matt had molded its self around the contours of her back hatch. Needless to say- we had to buy a new one. We still got the curtains and all done. The cutting matt was never the same so i told her to keep it and cut it up for smaller projects. I love a large cutting matt. They are the best if you have the room

Blog Entries
    I keep mine on the cutting table all the time. great buy!

Blog Entries
    I have the same mat from JoAnn's and have been using it for years. It stays on my cutting table all the time, so no issues with storage. LOVE IT!

If you have the space to put it KEEP IT!!! You won't be sorry.

DH got me the large white one from Joanns for Christmas 2 years ago. I love it! He also found me a wonderful cutting table from Joanns that has sides that fold down to store. The cutting mat fits perfectly on that. Don't know how I would square up quilts without it. Can't leave it up all the time :( so store it flat behind the piano.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I store mine under the sofa...oh wait, I have 3 of them...
    one is behind the sewing room door hung from a nail on the wall so it will not warp, and one is mounted on a board and edged with a tiny wood trim to keep me from cutting off of it..I use this one when do shows and have to cut ultrasuede!

I have a large mat and I had my husband drill 2 holes in the very top and a couple of screws in the wall and I hang mine

I have a large mat and I had my husband drill 2 holes in the very top and a couple of screws in the wall and I hang mine

I have several different sizes but I love the big one. I use it all the time on my kitchen island..perfect height for cutting. When not in use it stays on my formal dining room table under tablecloth.

Blog Entries
    I bought one, but haven't used it yet. Thanks for the tips!

I've had one from Joann's that I've had for years. It's on a table from Joann's too. It pretty much stays up all the time. I love the big mats and only pull out the small one for really small projects.

Blog Entries
    It might be useful for cutting certain size strips/blocks.Mine was a gift & has almost never been used.Just find myself reaching for the normal size one I've always used.Maybe that's just me tho.I tend to stick with tried & true.

Quote Originally Posted by taj334
    I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taj334
    I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?
    I love them. I have 2. I have a cutting table (right now piled high with junk) made to fit the mat and another one on my 60x80 ironing table. When I lay out a quilt to sandwich I lay the mat under it to pin the layers together. That way I don't pin into the ironing surface. They don't smell, like the self-healing ones do when you first get them, and I like the white color.

Blog Entries
    I have a large cutting mat from JoAnns. Love it. I keep it out on my cutting table all the time. I have only had it for about a year but so far it is fine. I would say if you have a place to keep it out all the time or a good place to store it keep it. I have a 4x4 cutting table and mine covers most of it

I wouldn't be without mine!

I use the 60 by 36 on my table and my DH is planning on building me a larger table so I can get a bigger one. I can't stand the little mats. I always run off the edge!

I love my big mat from sew-fit. I make a lot of clothes, so it really helps when cutting out pants especially.
    It also is cool to layout quilt on.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast