Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BIG cutting matts. Are they useful?

I recently purchased an 18"x24"(?) from JoAnn's. I've noticed that most of the smaller ones have the measurements printed on the inside of the beginning measuring line, which makes it difficult to line up. Are all mats printed this way, or just the green one I bought?

Blog Entries
    I love my 36" by 36" cutting mat and wish I had a bigger one! I store mine by sliding it behind my shelves of fabric and stuff. Keeps it flat and handy!

I have a big one and a smaller one bigger the better for me use it all the time and love it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I have had mine for twenty years and love it, I just bought another at JoAnn's this past weekend for $39.99 plus 25% off of that. What a deal, now I have an extra one, plus I have other matts in various sizes that i use.

Now that I have my big one I never use the smaller ones. I love love love and would never want to give it up

I have one on my sewing table even though my machine is sitting on part of it. I love have the entire table space covered in mat. I have other mats that I might lay on top for certain things or my small pressing surface.

It's expensive but I got it with a 50% coupon at Joann's.

Wouldn't be without my big mat. It is out all the time on my cutting table. I have little ones to take with me or use elsewhere in the house.

Blog Entries
    i have the white matt kinda big and i use it very much ,if you have the space its good or even on a kitchen counter will work or table i say keep it if you got it at a good price

my son got a big matt for me for Christmas a couple yrs ago, at first i though it would be too big, now i LOVE it! i do have a cutting table which i keep it on all the time, which helps.

I love mine! Mine has two sections so I can stack them when I need to take them off my table. But I just got a huge Koala cabinet and can't wait to get it set up there.

Blog Entries
    I'm gonna get me a bigger one. I think it will help me a lot. I think you will like it.

IMO the white cutting mats that are not self healing are not that good when using a rotary cutter because they wear out the blades a lot faster then the self healing mats. My best guess is that while cutting your fabric, you are also cutting into the plastic which will soon have grooves in it which is why they need to be replaced so often and that also puts more ware on the rotary blades. Since I found this out, I have not had to replace my rotary as often and that in itself has save tons of money.

Now if you are talking about a self healing mat of that size by all means YES it is the best thing in the sewing world, to have a large mat that you can leave on the table at all times to cut on. I have a large white mat, the first one I bought still on my table, but I leave it there for protection only. If I want to rotary cut anything, I just place a good self healing mat on top and do my cutting.

SO to answer your question, if it's not a self healing mat, take it back, use the money to towards getting a good self healing one. Cost may be more but the saving you get on your rotary blades will end up being worth the extra spent.

I wish I had a big matt. I keep thinking I should have gotten one. that is what I need.

My 36 x 60 white mat does not lay flat. It is great to have a large mat. It is permanently on my cutting table, but we are thinking of getting a green one that will lay flat and be more durable.

Blog Entries
    I have one and don't use it often and have it stored standing up behind my embroidery machine table. Sounds like I need to move it to under a bed. When I do use it - it is great.

Ruby the quilter

From MN, living full time in our Motor Home
    I've used mine for about 10 years. I love it. I have it on the table that I bought at Joanns at the same time. It is pretty grooved and I should replace it. It has has some very heavy usage!

Are you kidding me i bought the olfa 35x70 on black friday sale and i badly want a bigger one. There is a website that has 4' x 8' which is awesome but i am waiting for my husband to get the table ready first. He already made me a table for the 35" x 70 and i love it.

Blog Entries
    I have super size mats in both AZ and CT, because I have big cutting tables. When I'm working on a quilt, I gradually use up all the table space, so it's great to have the whole top as a cutting mat, so I don't have to constantly move things around. Wait for a sale, and buy the Omni Grid mat - or get Sure Fit on-line. I have O in AZ and SF in CT - like 'em both.

Absolutely it is worth it!! I have several sizes of cutting mats. But my favorite size is the huge one I use on my cutting table. I have my cutting table set up all of the time, because I finally have a sewing room. :-o :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    In reference to the 'bigger mats' - I can say its great to have a larger work surface for many reasons. I do love my 'white' mat.. ( same color as the one you got from joannes). I have a 28x51 from the sew-fit company and its pliable and a really nice thickness, lil thicker than the joannes one... seems like I can never have enough space when working on a project so the bigger mats come in handy for me..

However Im curious if anyone has bought one of these from Joannes and either love it or hate it.. Im very hard on mats so I need to replace mine but cant seem to find a local store that carries the SEW-FIT brand that im use too.. Opinions anyone??
    Love it Love it Love it!!!!
    Leave it out on a table all the time!

I have one that I got at JoAnn's that fits the fold away cutting table, I love it for quilting and also making curtains, etc.I also use it on my dining room table if I'm too lazy to get the fold away table. To store mine, I drilled 2 holes on one narrow end and hang it on the wall behind the fold away table. Works great for me.

I have one, and I love it! I stand mine up behind the door and have never had any problems! My daughter stores hers in the truck of her car.

When our company started downsizing, I got a 24" x 35" cutting mat that was used in the drafting department. My old cutting mat was 17" x 23". The larger size is great. Also, it is thicker than the cutting mats for quilting. I love it!!

Blog Entries
    That sounds like a good idea for my hubby to do!

Blog Entries
    Camalhair, I was meaning your tip about hubby fixing it where you could hang it on the wall when not in use.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast