Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BIG cutting matts. Are they useful?

I do not have room for one that size - BUT if I did - I would get one as well.

Blog Entries
    I have used mine for 28 years I hang it on the wall when not in use

I love my large mat(s) and have two. One lives on my cutting table the other in a large cardboard container(I carry this one to workshops and retreats) I find that lots will use it at a retreat as it gives them a place to cut larger pieces.

My cutting table is our old dining room table. First piece of furniture that my husband and I bought. I bought one of the Olfa 35x70 mats and it fits my table perfectly. It also protects the table, since it is an antique. The mat stays there all the time so no problem with storing. The only think I didn't like about it was that it came in 3 pieces. They had little clips to hold them together and the clips were always in the way. I turned the mats over and duct taped them together. Now they lay flat and don't come apart any more. I love the large size.

I have one and I love it. When we moved 8 years ago, we owned an older ping pong table and my husband was going to throw it away. I said I would like to keep half of it to use as a cutting table and put it down in the basement of the house we moved to, bought an overhead light and it works perfect for me. Mine remains there all the time. When not in use you should slip it under the bed so that it won't get out of shape and will be out of the way.

Same answer as Raggiemom would'nt trade it for anything Love them both as I have back trouble and that bending over kills me

Blog Entries
    I love mine! It sits on the dining room table - almost always. I've joked to friends that it has been there so long my husband thinks it is a table cloth. And that actually got me thinking - Without a second leaf in our table only the very corners of the mat stick out over the edge of the table. I'm going to cut the corners of the mat off round (it won't fect the measuring area of the mat at all) and then I won't even have to take the mat off when i put a tablecloth on!!!!

I love mine. But I have space to keep it up all the time.

I have a love/hate relationship with my big mat ... I love it when I'm using it and I hate it when I'm trying to store it. Still the love wins out :)

Is there any way to resurrect a mat that has curled from heat or cold? I've trying putting weights on it for prolonged periods of time but that didn't do much. Any ideas?

I like that size best.

I like that size best.

I just bought a large one because I left mine at my daughter's in Maryland......I was somewhat skeptical, but I think it is great!!!! Well worth the money! Hope you like yours as you use it. Let us know.

I can't resist just saying "Hi" when I see others "online" with me......Are we having a cup a joe together? Good morning and have a great day....Is our digest disappearing for a while today?

I love my big matts......have two.....and fortunate enough to have two big tables to lay them on :-D

I really like mine. My mom has a smaller one and I tried to cut on it...it was nearly impossible.

I have to say that I LOVE my huge mat. When I cut on the kitchen table, it is wonderful and now that my mom bought me a cutting table for Christmas, it is perfect!

I use my big mat all the time. It stays on top of my cutting table - ready to use. I also find it handy to have a smaller one kind of close because sometimes you want to cut something small and if you need to turn as you cut, the smaller one is easier to manipulate.

I absolutely ADORE my BIG cutting matt. :-) I can't imagine not using it.

I love my big mat. I use it all the time.

I love my big mat, it makes a great work surface. It's kind of like my big cutting board in the kitchen. I use it as my work surface when I cook, and feel kind of lost without it!

It would be totally wrong for me since my surface space for cutting is limited. If I ever finish this jig-saw puzzle, I would have an area that would be just perfect though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by taj334
    I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?
    Did you get their white mat? It is not a great cutting mat? I bought one of the Joannes at Christmas thinking I was getting a great deal over the brand name mats, but you get what you pay for. It is a great work surface and will protect your table from scratches, ect (I cut a my kitchen table) but I have now pruchased true self-healing cutting mats for actual rotary cutting ......

My mat from Joanns did not last long. Cheap old white thing..really grooved quickly and badly. so I waited and waited and finally got a super large Omnigrid...that was nice about this one was it came in 3 pieces so I am able to use the size I need. currently have two on my cutting table, have been using for several years and it is as good as new. Omnigrid (Green) makes a great cutting mat, hands down...you get what you pay for.

Blog Entries
    I love mine! I have it on a folding work table I got from Joann's. Both ends fold down, tho it hardly ever is. I had my DH help me put a cork board on the top so I can pin patterns to it when I want to trace one. When I need to do that, the cutting mat lays on the guest bed.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast