Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: BIG cutting matts. Are they useful?

So since we are on cutting mats - does anyone know where I can find a 30" by 36" Mine is getting worn and I need to replace it, but I can't find that size (which fits perfectly on my table) and I can't remember where I got it! Checked OmniGrid and Olfa and also the local art store - no luck.......

many, many years ago i bought one from qvc..i love it..it is getting worn out and i would buy another one to replace it. keep it... :-D

Speaking of cutting mats. I am a new quilter and I purchased a rotary cutter and mat. When I try to cut something out, I run the cutter away from the ruler. What is my problem? Is it just a matter of practicing? Someone please help. Could it be the cutter?

I love the big ones. That is what I always have laying on the table.

After much consideration and rearranging my room 3 times, I returned the 36 x 60 cutting matt to Joann's this a.m. I just couldn't find a place for it that would allow it to be out all the time. They seem to go on sale every once in awhile, so maybe by next time, I'll have the place figured out. Thanks so much for all the advice and input regarding it.

Blog Entries
    I wish I had one of thosee big cutting matts. I always say, the bigger the better :oops: :oops:

Blog Entries
    Speaking of cutting mats. I am a new quilter and I purchased a rotary cutter and mat. When I try to cut something out, I run the cutter away from the ruler. What is my problem? Is it just a matter of practicing? Someone please help. Could it be the cutter?
    Judy Smith

Judy, It is a matter of practice and also hold your cutter right next to the ruler kinda cutting toward the ruler. Don't go too fast...just practice. I am not a very efficient quilter, but I have seen expert quilters who still sometimes make that curve. Practice, practice, practice.

If it's the white one, it probably isn't self healing, so you may soon see the wear and tear on it. A large mat is a must have, however. If it's the self-healing kind, never keep it in a hot vehicle or in the sun. It will be ruined.

It was the white one. Although I have a few regrets about taking it back, I'm now on the hunt for a self-healing one that I can afford. Right now I think I need one that is a little bigger than 22". I'm having a lot of fun with the June Taylor ruler that cuts the strips. Thanks again for all the advice and input. Much to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by okiepastor
    The only down side is having a big enough place to keep it out all the time!
    I store mine under the bed

Quote Originally Posted by taj334
    I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?
    I've had one for at least 15 years, which pre-dated my quilting, and still love it. For years I stored it slid behind an upright chest of drawers but now I have a craft table big enough for it to lay flat. Maybe they made them better back then but mine hasn't grooved badly at all.

Blog Entries
    I love my big mat :-P :-P

I have one that is reasonably large (for me) and then have several smaller sizes as well. I have taken skirt hangers and have put fabric between the mat and the hanging part and have hung them up in the back wall of my closet – haven’t had any problems and they are out of the way when company/family comes over. This seems to work for me

Quote Originally Posted by taj334
    I couldn't resist. After being so disappointed at the Joann's I went to on Friday, I ventured out to another one only to find everything on my list and on sale. The 25% coupon helped me save over 50% on the final bill; about $80.00. But, I made an impulse purchase and picked up their 36 x 60 cutting matt. Now I wonder if it was wise. Do they really help? Any pointers regarding them? Or should I come to my senses and return it?
    Be careful with that mat. I think this is the one I just bought. It may not be self healing. I got their mat that is 36 x 60 which was regularly $69. for $35 with a 50% off coupon. It is not however, self healing. We had several people using it for three weeks. Some of the work we did required a box cutter type knife and it went all the way through the mat. I have used self healing mats the same way and they did not slice all the way through. This one did....

Yes! Big mats are absolutely great for me. Especially if I have a group of people working at the same table. Also for stretching out a large piece of material. Also, for pinning a quilt sandwich. As long as it's self healing - the bigger the better for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5