Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Biggest quilting project you've ever done >

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Old 11-15-2010, 03:18 AM

Well, I'm not done but the biggest I've ever done I am working on now. It is a hand pieced, hand quilted king size quilt for our bed. I'm using quilt as you go method so I won't have such a huge quilt to quilt in the end.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:33 AM

I did a Jacobs ladder quilt for my daughter's wedding in burgandy and white it was stunning , even if I say so myself , it took me weeks to make , 134" x 134" , it is my
pride and joy .
Old 11-15-2010, 03:37 AM

My biggest quilt so far has been one I made for our king size bed. It is my first bed size quilt and took a long, long time to finish because I was afraid to try to quilt it on my sewing machine and I was right. When I tried I made a mess so I ended up taking all the stitches out and taking my quilt to a professional with a long arm quilting machine, so that also makes it the most expensive project so far. Yesterday I stitched the binding on top and as soon as I finish hand stitching it on the back I will post a photo.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:43 AM

The biggest I have done is 12X12....the hardest I have done is a king sized drunkards path, but just because the blocks were the same and it was boring.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:58 AM

I just completed a King Size Lone Star for one of my son's and his wife for their bed. This was my 4th quilt to make and I thought the sewing room was filled with material by the time I got the final border on it. It is at the quilters right now---she thinks it will be $200.00 to quilt it--the material cost was around $250.00 and then the labor. It will be a labor of love though. When they saw the one I had made for my grandson they wanted one. I'm very proud that I could make it BUT I doubt if I ever make another King Size. Ha!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:21 AM

The biggest and most expensive quilt I made was a king-size Convergence quilt for the bed in our guest room. I was amazed how easy it went together. I think I was just focusing on the finished product and kept thinking at each stage how daunting it would be. I was very pleased with the results and I'm thinking of starting another king quilt soon.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:29 AM

Mine was only a queen, BUT I had some 70 T-shirts to put on it and they were all different sizes. So, I put T-shirts on both sides of the quilt. All I know is I didn't charge enough to make it!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:41 AM

The one I just finished is the biggest - double bed size (or it used to be, before it shrunk 4" ugh), biggest cost, took me the longest, etc., definitely my biggest, to date. And it is *nothing* compared to the king size I'm planning, and the one I'm drafting up for my husband (which will be 1" squares for a good part, and queen size) which will make it my most labour intensive. The King I'm going to QAYG, I don't know if I'll be able to for hubby's, because of the layout, but I'm going to try.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:00 AM

Sadie Mae.I was wanting to do one with batiks later on.I am still not sure if I will like working with them either.Some that I have seen on here are really pretty.My largest quilt was a t- shirt quilt.Queen size.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
The biggest in expence was the all silk quilt I made. I love it though, so it was worth it to me.
I would love to see a picture of your silk quilt as it must be quite beautiful. Please post if you can. Thanks