Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Biggest quilting project you've ever done >

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Biggest quilting project you've ever done

Old 11-15-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by Mamawcj
My largest project so far was a 124" x 136" quilt for my grand-niece' wedding present. At the quilt shop I am now know as "Omar the Tent Maker."
I can't even imagine making one this big...

My biggest project now is a queen size with batiks. Not because of the size, but because I was stupid enough to listen to other people saying, "Wouldn't this fabric be pretty?" NOT!!! They are too dark for my taste and not enough contrast for my taste. It is definitely one that I won't keep, and it is taking me forever because I don't want to do it.
Just had a thought: repurpose it into lap quilts for charity. It (they) will be loved and you will be blessed.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:57 AM

by size no - by complex yes - hand piecing and hand quilting a Dear Jane quilt - not once but twice! first one completely finished and in the hands of dd#1 second one almost finishing hand piecing it and eventually will go to dd#2 after I hand quilt it. photos here and there on my blog - look at the column on the left sidebar for "Insanity" and "Insanity Revisited" my names for these two quilts. I figured I must be insane to do Dear Jane by hand
Old 11-15-2010, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
The biggest in expence was the all silk quilt I made. I love it though, so it was worth it to me.
Can you show a pic of that one? It sound beautiful. I want to make a quilt with silk & velvet and a few other fabrics that I don't usually use.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:10 AM

I have made 2 king size quilts and gave both of them away. My friend goes to the thrift store everyday and they give fabric away, she brings it to me most of the time it's not cotton and she says to me you can make me a king size quilt and I say I don't think so. I gave her a queen size last year...
Old 11-15-2010, 06:17 AM

One of my first quilts was a king for my son. He picked the pattern and fabric. All primary colors with lots of black and all squares were triangles. That was before I learned about stretching on the bias in quilts. Clothes I know. Quilts then, nada. It took me three months to recover before I tried another quilt. Didn't have this board then for answers.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:26 AM

The last quilt I made was the largest Art Quilt so far. 63" wide X 72" tall. It was made up of 6 paper pieced circles each having 220 pieces. Two of the circles were fused, since the pieces were too small to sew together. These were set on point and other fabric added in to make the whole thing rectangular. I fmq the whole thing on my sewing machine. The whole thing took me 6 months to make. I've one side of a queen duvet cover made. The blocks pieced but not sewn together yet. Hope to piece the other side this winter and get it sewn together so we can use it, before winter's over. Some type of window covering (valence) needs to be made also, to go with both sides, which are similar colors but different fabrics.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:34 AM

That is beautiful....wish it was mine!

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Cal King just shy of 120x120. It was one of my first quilts and the only one I had long arm quilted. It was probably also my most expensive quilt as it is mostly Hoffman fabrics and I had it long arm quilted instead of doing it myself.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:35 AM

That is beautiful....wish it was mine!

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Cal King just shy of 120x120. It was one of my first quilts and the only one I had long arm quilted. It was probably also my most expensive quilt as it is mostly Hoffman fabrics and I had it long arm quilted instead of doing it myself.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:36 AM

check out my blooming nine patch at this link. By the time I got it finished I couldn't stand it -- still don't like it. I really enjoyed the process though, but it took on a life of its own and although I loved the fabrics, I ruined it with that danged center! The recipient loved it! rusty
Old 11-15-2010, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by rustqlts
check out my blooming nine patch at this link. By the time I got it finished I couldn't stand it -- still don't like it. I really enjoyed the process though, but it took on a life of its own and although I loved the fabrics, I ruined it with that danged center! The recipient loved it! rusty
FORGOT THE LINK: here 'tiz --

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...61057584JgUxqW