Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding buddy >

binding buddy

binding buddy

Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 PM

I see what you're saying, yadroc. Maybe this is an instance of "do as I say, not as I do". She also tells you to line your ruler up on the edge of the fabric for cutting on the bias -- which she does... then completely moves it before she starts her cut. lol

It's too bad an editor didn't notice those things. Everyone makes a little boo-boo sometimes. Now, what would really be helpful is if there was some tool that marked the X and seamed the two ends together for us. :P I think this is really more just for joining the 1/4" seam together to make the binding strip long enough to reach around the quilt. I can't imagine that part is giving anyone problems. It's that final joining together that is tricky. Up until my last little quilted changing pad, I always end up cheating it by running an overlap. No one ever noticed or complained.

For anyone interested, I found this great video from Missouri Star Quilt Co that gives a super clear, super easy tutorial for machine & hand quilt binders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCWpxBRs20

Last edited by Bree123; 07-20-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 PM

I have a similar ruler that I use only for bias, which is not too often, but I open and iron the fabric. My ruler closes to 15" it is green from TQM product. Have had it since 2006
Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
I see what you're saying, yadroc. Maybe this is an instance of "do as I say, not as I do". She also tells you to line your ruler up on the edge of the fabric for cutting on the bias -- which she does... then completely moves it before she starts her cut. lol

It's too bad an editor didn't notice those things. Everyone makes a little boo-boo sometimes. Now, what would really be helpful is if there was some tool that marked the X and seamed the two ends together for us. :P I think this is really more just for joining the 1/4" seam together to make the binding strip long enough to reach around the quilt. I can't imagine that part is giving anyone problems. It's that final joining together that is tricky. Up until my last little quilted changing pad, I always end up cheating it by running an overlap. No one ever noticed or complained.

For anyone interested, I found this great video from Missouri Star Quilt Co that gives a super clear, super easy tutorial for machine & hand quilt binders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCWpxBRs20
I was was going to suggest this tutorial as well. Jenny gives the best method for joining the ends of the binding that I have seen. Mine turn out perfect every time now!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
Her fabric is not folded.
Her fabric IS folded. You can see it when she cuts the first non-bias strip and moves it. A bias strip cut when the material is folded will be a V. I have made this error.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:00 AM
Vat

She apparently doesn't know what she is doing. It is incorrect. And actually, I cut my bindings at 1 7/8 inches.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:13 AM

Artsyone, I'm with you. Seems to be the easy thing to do, I think I make it more difficult.......
Old 07-21-2014, 04:37 AM

http://quiltersenjoycolor.blogspot.ca/2 ... 3-pin.html joining binding Here is a demo in pix for joining the binding on a quilt. Easy to understand.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:57 AM

You are correct but she was lining up the ruler on the edge of the fabric not the fold of the fabric. But I agree, why buy another ruler when others have that same 2.5 inch measurement. We "old pros" would rather save our money to spend on ..... more fabric, thread, etc, etc, etc.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:12 AM

That purple fabric is definitely folded. You can see the bottom side of it when she cuts the first strip.

And absolutely, the bias strip she cuts is going to form a V when unfolded. What a curious mistake!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 AM

check this out....easy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7dyihdJpQ