Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
binding foot? >

binding foot?

binding foot?

Old 06-15-2017, 04:32 AM

I have two old Singer machines, a featherweight and a 401A. Both have binding feet in the attachment box and were to be used with bias binding of standard (purchased) binding. I can't see how the 'new' ones can be used for quilting because of the thickness of the quilts vary.I do prefer bias binding on quilts and I use the French fold binding I cut mysel.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cactus Stitchin View Post
I have seen the advertisements for this foot but after reading the notes I'm not sure how well it would work for quilting so have not made the leap to purchase one. Guess I'm waiting until someone else tries it first!

"*Note: This binding foot works best for sewing projects with 1-2 layers of lightweight or medium-weight cotton fabric. It can be used for binding thin quilts with low-loft battings which are flatter and thinner (and NOT with battings with high loft, which are thick and fluffy). Because you DO need to feed the whole quilt sandwich into the slot of your binding foot..."
Original attachments can be found in every OLD/ANTIQUE sewing machine box. Back then the ladies used it to put the bias trim on aprons, to cover fabric edges which gave a 'fancy' look.

As for using to bind a quilt, just how does one deal with a corner. Must the quilt be completely removed and then fold over the raw edge and then start again, doing the same for each side of the quilt. Am not seeing that look would be as nice as how I do my corners, sewing on the back or front and then turning to the other side to stitch down.

Do a test on a 12" square sandwich, only sewing it on each side to find out how you might do the corner and see if you like the look at every corner. You can not turn a corner like using your machine foot alone.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 AM

Default Re: binding foot

Because I have been researching this same subject I thought I would comment. Both Bernina and Janome have come out with special binding feet recently, which got me interested. And they must be special at almost $300 MSRP. But I started doing research on binders because I thought it would be helpful in finishing charity quilts and things like placemats and pot holders. Yes they are only single layer fabric. Some of the ladies at my guild use single layer bindings all the time so that shouldn't be an issue. You could possibly use two layers of fabric before folding it to make it double. Clover makes bias binding folders to help with that process.

After doing a lot of searching I found one option that looks like it would work for quilts. There may be others, so I am not trying to sell something here. If you google: "Sailrite binders" you will find a site that sells binders for sails etc. they aren't adjustable so you need to buy the size that you will use most or buy more than one. I have asked them several questions regarding the use of these binders on domestic machines. They will work on any machine that has the two screw holes on the bed as shown in the video. Nearly all older machines have those mounting holes. My Juki TL98e has them for example. Don't know about new machines. I am considering purchasing one and putting it on one machine and leaving it there for that purpose. I know my old singer collection would love the job. These binders cost about $69 I believe.

If you get a chance to go look I would love to see other's opinions of this attachment.

If you go online to look at the Bernina binder the video shows how they do corners. I think you could do those with this binder with practice or you could just round the corners and sew continuous.

Barb in Kansas

Last edited by bcsews; 06-15-2017 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 06-15-2017, 07:50 AM

I have this foot, does not work well for quilt binding..I used it to bind bibs. Marge

Originally Posted by charity-crafter View Post
I've been seeing a lot of posts about binding feet on Facebook. Well, it's probably seeing what I look at and giving me the ads but still there are a variety.

Has anyone bought one of the special binding feet-the ones that allow the binding and quilt to be sewn at top and back and the same time?

Like this one:

https://ilovequiltingforever.com/pro...lt+Patterns%29

if it's wrong to post a link, let me know and I'll remove it.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 AM

I watched the video! Cool idea! C'mon machine makers, surely you could adapt the design to make a foot like this for domestic machines and quilts! Thanks for the link, Barb.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by bjgallent View Post
How would it work when you get to a corner?
I asked in the comment section of one of the fb ads. They answered almost immediately with a video. In it, the sewist approaches the corner, removes the project from machine, then fiddles it back in after top stitching just the corner. Then they show the same thing, but the sewist removes the foot after top stiching corner, reinserts binding, then puts foot back in machine. Definitely a fiddly process...as these feet are best used for items with rounded corners...placemats, aprons, potholders etc.

Last edited by stitch678; 06-15-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:56 AM

I purchased one ,and it is for bias tape,and will only go 1" wide. Great for all those potholders I make for the family.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:42 AM

I purchased the Martelli Quilt Zip Bind System Kit & Stitch-N-Ditch Kit. It takes a little to get use to, but I won't do another quilt without it. It comes out perfect.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 AM

I purchased the Martelli Quilt Zip Bind System Kit & Stitch-N-Ditch Kit.  it works great!
Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 PM

I saw videos of a Bernina Felling foot. That seemed to work well, but it is only for Berninas. I have a Janome 8900 and have used the Janome binding system and it's not bad. I have also tried using the Stitch in the Ditch foot, but it only works so-so. I may trying using the Accufeed version next time.