Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding -- How can I keep the binding seams from ending up at a corner? >

Binding -- How can I keep the binding seams from ending up at a corner?

Binding -- How can I keep the binding seams from ending up at a corner?

Old 09-19-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Lay the quilt out and lay the binding along the edges. If a seam is close to a corner move it one way or the other until there aren't any seams on any corner. Then put a big straight pin in the spot where you want to start.
That is what I do
Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Sounds like Murphy's Law to me - that happens to me all the time! When you figure out how to not have this happen, you'll make a lot of other ladies very happy! :lol:
Yup! It seems no matter how hard I try, one corner has the miter. I just go on as if it isn't there and most of the time it nestles in as it should.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat
Lay the quilt out and lay the binding along the edges. If a seam is close to a corner move it one way or the other until there aren't any seams on any corner. Then put a big straight pin in the spot where you want to start.
I do this too. That way I can see if there will be a problem and be ready to adjust the binding before I get there. I still check a few feet away from each corner just in case I made an error. It is like measuring twice. Less errors this way.

ali
This is how I do it. Sometimes you can't avoid it. WOrk with it until it looks good.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
I try to pin the binding to the whole quilt before I start attaching it. If however, it looks like I'm still going to put the seam in a corner, I've been known to make a new seam a few inches before the offending seam. (Note, make sure you've got plenty of extra binding if doing this).
This is what I do also. I often like to piece different colors for bindings on kid quilts, so sometimes the seams just can't avoid a corner no matter how well you planned and measured. So when the seam falls on a corner, I cut the fabric 2-4" or so short of the corner and make a new join. No problem at all, if you have enough fabric.
Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 AM

This is the way I do it too! This dry run sure saves a lot of hassle for me.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:09 AM

I do a trial run by laying the quilt out and pinning the start position, then running it around the quilt to see where the seams fall. I can almost always correct a corner falling seam by shifting the starting position. If by chance I miscalculate or "forget" to do a trial run, I simply cut the binding and reseam at least 12 inches before I get to the offending corner.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by LeslieFrost
I usually use diagonal seams and piece the binding somewhat longer than needed. Then, I just begin putting it on the front, creating mitered corners as I go. If I get to a corner and have a binding seam, there's really nothing to do, is there?

What could I do differently?

Thanks!
My first quilting class teacher showed us how to "walk around" the quilt with the binding before determining where to start it. If any seams end up at the corners, adjust where you start.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:34 AM

I do a test run too. I learned the hard way to try it out first.

Pat
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 AM

I measure my quilt first, to make sure there are no seams at the corners and you can do this if you mark your quilt where you are going to start, then measure each side then sew each strip of binding to fit each side of the quilt. Hope this makes sense.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Sounds like Murphy's Law to me - that happens to me all the time! When you figure out how to not have this happen, you'll make a lot of other ladies very happy! :lol:
Same here!