Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Black Friday at JoAnn's What did you get ? >

Black Friday at JoAnn's What did you get ?

Black Friday at JoAnn's What did you get ?

Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 AM

I got flannel, rotary blades, pins for crafts, Styrofoam cones an eggs, spent $89, saved $159. Everything was either on sale or covered by my 50 and 40% coupons;
Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 AM

I was there. I don't usually go out on black Friday, but couldn't pass up a trip to JoAnn. That was the only place I went. I bought basting pins, thimbles, patterns, fabric to make an outfit for DGD, a few quilt basics, and fabric for 2 S&W quilts. One of the S&W fabrics was seasonal so it was on sale, but the other was not on sale so I used my 50% coupon. Yeah!! I love saving almost double what I spend! Of course I'm broke now, so I guess I won't be buying anything else until Monday when the annuity hits the bank.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I wanted the Oliso iron on sale for 60$. I have one now and love it, but wanted to get another as a back up. They were sold out by the time I got there around 10:30. Oh well, it was a want, not a need. I didn't even look at anything else, but they seemed to have the lines under control.
Check amazon.com; they had the same Oliso iron for $59.99 online. That is where I ended up getting mine yesterday I bought flanell and some fiskars fabric scissors at Joann's.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by dc989 View Post
could you get the free shipping to work? I ordered a bolt of Warm and White and it would not kick in.
Contacted customer service who gave me a number to call which I did. The woman I talked with said it was over 30 minutes since my order so she couldn't correct it. I am calling back, because I called as soon as I heard from them. Shipping was $22 so that made me pretty mad.
Got the sale price plus free shipping, but you had to enter the free shipping code before checking out .
Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 AM

For the first time ever!!! I ventured out on Black Friday. My daughter wanted to go to JoAnns to purchase yarn. So I went along with her. The store was not overly crowded except for the cutting lines. I picked up some wonder clips and some ribbon. I was shocked to see the clips were $32.00 but I figured with my coupons I would do ok. Got out of there spending a bit over $16.00 so I was pleased.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Didn't go this year. Next year I will go because I will need flannel for the backs of about ten tied quilts and Snuggle works better for that. I will be going today though. Need lots of interfacing, both with glue and without. Thanks for the tip about the iron! Didn't think of looking there.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have never in my life shopped on Black Friday or the weekend following. I cannot do crowds. I drove by Walmart on my way to my in laws for Thanksgiving dinner and the parking lot was full of cars. I couldn't believe it. It was 2:30pm. They always have sales throughout December and I get in on them. Most of what I buy anyway isn't ever on sale. The nearest JoAnn's to me is 2 1/2 hours away and I've never been in it. When I was in Austin a few weeks ago, I went in to JoAnn's there for the first time to buy a spool of thread I needed and it was messy and seemed unclean. They had too many things - dried flowers, fake flowers. I thought it was a fabric shop, but apparently it's a craft shop. I had to wait in line 1/2 hour to buy the spool of thread. Are all JoAnn's messy and dirty? Or was it just this one store? I buy from them online (batting, ottlites, storage containers) and really like their online service. So, I'm hoping the messy, dirty store was just that store and not all of them.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:30 AM

I had no intentions of going there or standing in any lines, but i went to my Viking dealer to pick up a new machine and happened i went to the flannel shelves to see if any of the by the bolt are left and sure enough picked up like 25 bolts and left in very short time....no line...no cutting
Old 11-30-2013, 09:32 AM

I went, but didn't even look at fabric. The cutting line was 100 behind, Even the checkout was clear around the store. No more black Fridays for me.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:03 AM

The Fiskar cutting mats were on sale for 60% off. Or if you had a 50% off you could have used that on the Olfa mat. But $70 does sound high for that size. But then again I've had my large mat for a while now.

Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
My sister and I went into Vegas and by the time we got to Joanns, the cutting counter was buried with people. Luckily, we weren't there for fabric.

Got a question though. Sister picked up the Olfa 24 x 36 mat. How much are they in Joanns around you? Here they were $70.00! I have never seen them that high-I'm thinking they jumped the price for the weekend. You know how everything is higher at your LQS, they were priced at $59.00 here. She did, of course, have a coupon for Joanns. Just curious on the pricing in your area.