Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block of the Month-am I being unreasonable? >

Block of the Month-am I being unreasonable?

Block of the Month-am I being unreasonable?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:50 PM

I have often thought of starting a BOM, but now know that I will not do that. It had never occurred to me that there might be the possibility of a fabric substitution. I am so sorry for what has happened to you, but know that I have learned from your experience, so I thank you!

Originally Posted by BfloDd
Thanks everyone. I already made up the finishing block stars and sashing, so I will be using them. I will never order a kit of any kind from this shop again.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM

I think you may just need to be very careful about what company you use. I'm about to start one with the Fat Quarter Shop, and I've heard only good things about theirs. I'm also doing one with my LQS, and although it hasn't been without its setbacks, my shop has always made certain that they do right by their customers.

Originally Posted by PKWard
I have often thought of starting a BOM, but now know that I will not do that. It had never occurred to me that there might be the possibility of a fabric substitution. I am so sorry for what has happened to you, but know that I have learned from your experience, so I thank you!

Originally Posted by BfloDd
Thanks everyone. I already made up the finishing block stars and sashing, so I will be using them. I will never order a kit of any kind from this shop again.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:34 PM

sent you a note.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by BrendaK
:-( You did the right thing in saying something to them. When you purchase something you want it to be what you thought it was, not what they think they can get away with. The very least they could have done was tell you the problem and let you figure out if you wanted it or not. PegD :) love your avatar what is the pattern? Was it a challenge to do? Would like to make one myself. Thanks
Actually the blocks were not that difficult, but the finishing was very tedious and included 20 small setting squres (stars) that Are made with only the two fabrics I think look awful together. It wasn't until I had them all made that I found out about the substitution.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by PegD
I don't think you are being unreasonable. You wanted what you saw, and they substituted. They should have told you so you could have made the choice.
You are not unresonable at all - if you order vanilla ice cream but get chocolate - although both are ice cream - they definitely are not the same.

LQS made a very poor business choice - I probably would not buy anything from that store in the future. Don't like deiing duped
Old 01-11-2011, 05:47 AM

If they are convient to you please stop in and tell them that you won't be ordering any more block kits and why. Since LQS aren't all that frequent give them the chance to correct their behavior for the benefit of other quilters. Besides, you may decide to not quilt from kits, but to just buy FG for everything or need to pick up the occasional piece of fabric. I hate what they did to you, but I would also hate to see a LQS store go down the drain, so to speak.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PegD
I don't think you are being unreasonable. You wanted what you saw, and they substituted. They should have told you so you could have made the choice.
PegD love your avatar.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:03 AM

That would be like marrying a man only to find out after the wedding that he wasn't really the man you had at the wedding. It is a form of bait & switch. COMPLAIN! Complain to the highest person in the shop. You can go farther if you choose if they don't do anything. YOU have to decide how important this is to you. It sounds like it was the center of your remodel and that would make it important.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:47 PM

would like to know what you end up doing or how this turns out. Please let us know. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:48 AM

I have been a quilter for 30+ yrs and substitutions are very common whether ordered from a nationally known company or local store. If you recieved something that was not similiar or close in color, design, fabric quality or completely changed the feeling or theme of the kit purchase -then I would say you have concern. But if the store had a higher demand than expected for the kit and did not want to disappoint it's customers from the joy of quiltmaking; I would not be upset. I have a bigger problem with making projects that have to look exactly like the pattern, photo or magazine with the exact same fabric. Put some of yourself into, your style, your colors, your fabric-make it yours. Moosegirl