Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks for a "hippie" quilt >

Blocks for a "hippie" quilt

Blocks for a "hippie" quilt

Old 07-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Power Poster

Forgot all about the lava lamps... Farrah Fawcett, Charlies Angles, Black fuzzy psychodelic posters
Old 07-07-2010, 03:19 AM

Retro owls
Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 AM

What about KISS, the Stones, black lights, lava lamps, what about some of the muscle cars back then (Mustang Cobra/Shelby, GTO's, etc) FM radio!!!! 8 Tracks (boy the memories), big sunglasses (ask me how I know this one), disco, hip huggers with elephant bells, love beads, anyone remember the puca shell necklaces?

You've just taken me back!! Good times!!! Boy have I aged myself!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 07-07-2010, 03:35 AM

Wow, how old are you guys? The Seventies were not really part of the hippie era at all. Most of us were underground by then, trying to act normal in order to get jobs and raise our families. True symbols of the hippie era...let's just say most of them would probably get your parental capabilities questioned if you put them on a quilt for your son. Stick with the Yippie/Disco ideas that are being suggested if that's the period your son has chosen for his room. He's sure to love it!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 AM

What about a soup can, tribute to Andy Warhol.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 AM

Sounds like you are getting alot of ideas! I would love to see it when its done!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:52 AM

Swirly psychedalics, nude people (Hair), velvets, crochet squares.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:03 AM

Peace symbols. beads flowers. love, peace,not war. Aunks(?on spelling).
Old 07-07-2010, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Wow, how old are you guys? The Seventies were not really part of the hippie era at all. Most of us were underground by then, trying to act normal in order to get jobs and raise our families. True symbols of the hippie era...let's just say most of them would probably get your parental capabilities questioned if you put them on a quilt for your son. Stick with the Yippie/Disco ideas that are being suggested if that's the period your son has chosen for his room. He's sure to love it!
You know, this has actually came up many times with us. There are so many cute things ruined by a marijuana leaf on it! A LOT of items with this motiff has marijuana images on it. Especially anything with Bob Marley. And he loves Bob Marley's music. He's an aspiring musician/writer and has some odd favorites, lol. Not many 15 year old boys listen to him.

He is actually very knowledgable about it. When I was telling some of these suggestions, he was "vetoing" some, LOL! He made the comment that some of them are 70's things, not "hippy" things. Elvis was his main veto! LOL! I love Elvis, and he likes his music, but he said "Not hippy"!

To him, its more about the "peace" and "love" thing that was so popular then. And the music, of course. Thats what got all this started, was him loving the music.

I have worried that him being so into that stuff will make him smoke pot, too. We've had many talks about it, and he is mature about it, so I feel fairly secure about him. He says that they didn't know the dangers of pot back then like we do now, and he's right. He also tells me many "hippies" that never smoked pot! He says it was a lifestyle, not neccessarily a "drug" thing. He's really into health,too, and I think that helps him understand how bad drugs are, also.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:29 AM

Yes!! The Ankh symbol - symbol of life. Also the Yin-Yang - symbol of perfect balance. Also Paisley - a symbol of fertility.

Edit after reading your reply to my first post: Bob Marley was reggae, not anything to do with hippies. However, your son is correct about the era being all about the music. It was how we expressed how we felt, what we dreamed and feared, everything. We were the music and the music was us.

Pull in some of the spirituality of the era (check Hindu and Buddhist design) instead of the dope, the 'return to nature' instead of the free love, and the overpowering desire to have peace in the world which has lasted in most of us far, far longer than the effects of any drugs we ever took. Sorry, got caught up in that for a minute there. *grin*