Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: BOM projects - Too Expensive?

  1. #26
    thismomquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    here! :)
    Posts
    1,491
    Our LQS's bom was $5.00 for the first month. As long as you took in the block from the month before (on time!) you got the next block (fabric and pattern) for nothing. If you skipped a month you had to repay the $5.00 but then continue for free - you were given one 'free' month if you couldn't make it. If you wanted to pay a $5.00 a month you could get the fabric/pattern for a second block each month (Making the total 24) (12"). At the end they gave examples of layouts... if any sashing was added you had to pay for it and the backing/binding. But for less than $100 you had a quilt at the end of the year (If you did just the one bom)

  2. #27
    Super Member Boston1954's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East Oklahoma - pining for Massachusetts
    Posts
    8,162
    I have never done one, but that does sound high to me.

  3. #28
    janedennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Originally Pennsylvania
    Posts
    329
    Everyone is talking about the cost but there are a lot of quilters out there that spend that and more on fabric from a LQS. There was one quilters the other day that spent 700.00 in one day. I feel to each his own.

  4. #29
    Senior Member Missi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas - north west corner
    Posts
    550
    I think it was said best above - to each his own. I guess if you really really love the pattern and the fabrics it is worth it. It is a little steep, but I have seen quite a few BOMs out there for that price and even higher. I am doing the Civil War BOM at my LQS and I think that is running me $25 per month, but I love love love it. I don't have a joining fee and my LQS throws in a coupon for a % off of the backing too.

    It helps the hit on the pocket book that I don't buy it all at one time. $25 a month I can handle and when I know I have to spend that at my LQS I am less likely to buy other stuff when I go to pick up my BOM.

  5. #30
    Super Member Chigger Holler Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sparta, Missouri
    Posts
    1,146
    Blog Entries
    5
    I'm doing a BOM from local quilt shop for only $1 per mo. We needed 1 pkg of thangles (which I did purchase there). There is also an option to purchase finishing kit. If you miss purching one of the BOM you can stll get it for a $3 charge.
    Your story makes me realize how fortunate I am!

  6. #31

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by janedennis
    Everyone is talking about the cost but there are a lot of quilters out there that spend that and more on fabric from a LQS. There was one quilters the other day that spent 700.00 in one day. I feel to each his own.
    Yes I saw that post, but she bought a ton of fabric- it was piled high on the table, not for just one quilt! You are right though, to each his own.

  7. #32
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I have a problem with handing over a high sign up fee. The cost of the fabric and pattern has a profit for the shop so the sign up fee is what? pay the shop for the privilege to buy the BOM? If there is a high sign up fee I just buy the pattern and do one block a month on my own.

  8. #33
    Super Member Rose Marie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Clay Springs AZ
    Posts
    3,228
    I noticed the quilt I wanted to make was 240 dollars as a block of the month thru online shops. It was 199 for the kit thru Hancocks of Paducah. So it seems to cost quite a bit more as a block of the month.

  9. #34
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    The first bom I did was $20.00 to join and $5.00 a month for the fabric and block, you had to cut your own fabric from the piece they gave you. I thought it was an ok price untill I was told the price of the finishing kit was $225.00. I never bought the kit, and just finished it on my own for a lot less.

  10. #35
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have a problem with handing over a high sign up fee. The cost of the fabric and pattern has a profit for the shop so the sign up fee is what? pay the shop for the privilege to buy the BOM? If there is a high sign up fee I just buy the pattern and do one block a month on my own.
    I agree.

  11. #36
    Super Member JanetM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At my LQS
    Posts
    2,355
    I agree that BOM quilts solve the problem of choosing the best fabrics for the project and maybe approaching a quilt one block at a time keeps one on track for completing a quilt. A couple of you said you enjoyed the friendships and assistance that came from enrolling in a BOM project and I can see the real benefit of these things. My LQS's don't have get togethers for these programs.

    I guess my real gripe is that one pays a pretty high premium for these "kits". I always buy premium LQS fabric for my projects so I am not averse to spending money on fabric.

    I was just looking through a past Keepsake Quilting catalog (Summer Update 2009 page 42) and they were featuring McKenna Ryan "Out and About" kits. There are 9 different pattern/kits. Each measures 12" x 12" and they cost between $44.99 and $59.99 each. I just cannot see how anyone could justify upwards to $59.99 for a 12" x 12" finished square.

    Okay, I'll climb down from my soapbox now.

  12. #37
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maine-ly Florida
    Posts
    3,515
    Check out the wool block of the month club in the latest Keepsake catalog - $69.99 per month for first 12 months, 149.99 for the 13th month and 3.99 shipping per month. I was talking to my DH about it yesterday but he couldn't get past the lingo and didn't really know what I was talking about. lol

    Each to his/her own, certainly but I do wonder how many people will buy that one.

  13. #38
    Super Member maryb119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    6,725
    Yes it is expensive. I won't make a BOM for that reason. I can usually make two or more quilt tops for the same price as one BOM.

  14. #39
    Super Member Oklahoma Suzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    Posts
    7,897
    Quote Originally Posted by maryb119
    Yes it is expensive. I won't make a BOM for that reason. I can usually make two or more quilt tops for the same price as one BOM.
    yes, and you get to pick what fabric you want.

  15. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    514
    I have done several BOMs w/Fatquartershop.com. The average membersip fee is $9 and then about $25 a month including shipping for a total of about $310. and that has always included the pattern and the finishing kit. In addition, you receive about 25% more fabric than the pattern recommends due to the monthly mailing of quilt parts (I assume that factors into the increased cost). So, it is more expensive (but not as expensive as what your LQS is charging) than just purchasing the fabric and pattern, but the service with this company is amazing. They are so helpful, if you get stuck on something, they have already assembled the quilt there in the shop (verifying the instructions are in fact complete and correct) and can walk you through any problems. Also they have a box of scraps and if you make a mistake they will send you out the replacement fabric.

  16. #41
    Senior Member momto4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Wausau WI GO PACK!!!
    Posts
    768
    Blog Entries
    1
    Personally I love the BOM clubs. The most I have ever paid is 20 dollars a month, yes I know this is still a lot, but it gives me a pattern and the fabric needed to make a quilt and at the end I have something really nice that I wouldnt have been able to afford all at once. I have a limited monthly budget and it just works out nicely for me. (all of my BOM's have been from the fat quarter shop)

  17. #42
    Senior Member gail-r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tooele, Utah
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    for 325 dollars you could get EQ6 AND quite a few of the extra CDs... AND the fabric to make your own BOM...

    I don't think anybody is worth that much!
    I'm very sorry that you feel that way. I teach BOM classes for the fancy embroidery quilts, usually Jenny Haskins quilts since she has some of the most beautiful quilts. As an instructor I have to make sure all of the designs will work for each student, this can mean hours of re-sizing or splitting designs to fit on smaller hoops, or combining designs for larger hoops so that person is able to maximize the large hoops and have fewer re-hoopings. Often times I have to fix small mistakes on the designs, I feel that the people who take my class should have perfect designs. Also, I'm available for students who have problems or questions with a block everyday, they feel that what they learn is worth more than the $25. each month. They not only learn how to hoop for precise placement, they learn how to maximize their machines advanced features, they learn how to fix mistakes so that they don't have to start a blocks over or pick as much. They also develope friendships with other students, get advice with fabric and thread choices, have the opportunity to see first hand different colors and how those colors work for a totally different look.

    I know this is much more advanced than the simple BOM that it seamed to be discussed on this thread but I was very hurt by your comment and wanted to let you know that I put many hours in every month to ensure that my students have the very best outcome possible. If I were to break the money down that I make every month by the hours I put in it would probably be way less than $2.00 per hour. Most of us that teach these classes "Do not do it for the money" we do it for the love of quilting and the joy of seeing our students become confident and accomplished quilters. When you go to a show and see a quilt from your class with a ribbon on it you are as proud of you student as you were when your own children succeeded beyond your expectations.

    Sorry this is so long but I did feel like you needed to hear from a different perspective so hopfully you will think about this before you make such general negative statements next time.

    I do not work for the LQS or own a LQS, I'm an independant instructor.

  18. #43
    Super Member Kathy N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Brighton, MI
    Posts
    1,008
    Yes that is way too expensive

  19. #44
    Super Member sewcrafty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by amma
    That is way out of my price range...I would rather buy a pattern and pick out my own fabrics :D:D:D I could buy a lot of luscious batiks for that price :wink:
    You got that right girl!!

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    central California
    Posts
    637
    Quote Originally Posted by gail-r
    Quote Originally Posted by JJs
    for 325 dollars you could get EQ6 AND quite a few of the extra CDs... AND the fabric to make your own BOM...

    I don't think anybody is worth that much!
    I'm very sorry that you feel that way. I teach BOM classes for the fancy embroidery quilts, usually Jenny Haskins quilts since she has some of the most beautiful quilts. As an instructor I have to make sure all of the designs will work for each student, this can mean hours of re-sizing or splitting designs to fit on smaller hoops, or combining designs for larger hoops so that person is able to maximize the large hoops and have fewer re-hoopings. Often times I have to fix small mistakes on the designs, I feel that the people who take my class should have perfect designs. Also, I'm available for students who have problems or questions with a block everyday, they feel that what they learn is worth more than the $25. each month. They not only learn how to hoop for precise placement, they learn how to maximize their machines advanced features, they learn how to fix mistakes so that they don't have to start a blocks over or pick as much. They also develope friendships with other students, get advice with fabric and thread choices, have the opportunity to see first hand different colors and how those colors work for a totally different look.

    I know this is much more advanced than the simple BOM that it seamed to be discussed on this thread but I was very hurt by your comment and wanted to let you know that I put many hours in every month to ensure that my students have the very best outcome possible. If I were to break the money down that I make every month by the hours I put in it would probably be way less than $2.00 per hour. Most of us that teach these classes "Do not do it for the money" we do it for the love of quilting and the joy of seeing our students become confident and accomplished quilters. When you go to a show and see a quilt from your class with a ribbon on it you are as proud of you student as you were when your own children succeeded beyond your expectations.

    Sorry this is so long but I did feel like you needed to hear from a different perspective so hopfully you will think about this before you make such general negative statements next time.

    I do not work for the LQS or own a LQS, I'm an independant instructor.
    I think most of these responses were pertaining to BOM programs where you just get a pattern and fabric each month, to finish at home alone. No personal instruction, or class time. That is a whole different story. Any of us that have taken quilting classes, with dedicated teachers, knows how very valuable those are.

  21. #46
    pookie ookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Trifid Nebula
    Posts
    1,305
    I think it's too expensive for some and not for others. Nothing wrong with that. You can find something in your price range. It's like shopping for a car.

    I'm doing two BOMs now. One is supporting a brick and mortar shop I really enjoy and one is supporting an online shop I like.

    The Dear Jane BOM is totally worth it. And, every BOM I've ever received comes with enough fabric to make at least two blocks. So, it's really two quilts worth of fabric.

  22. #47
    Senior Member KiwiQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hawkes Bay, New Zealand
    Posts
    957
    I think that cost (well for me) is prohibitive. Sorry - too expensive for my tastes. Also I find that I like to change the colors of the fabrics to personalize the kits (good money after bad as the old saying goes).

  23. #48
    Senior Member Missi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kansas - north west corner
    Posts
    550
    I mentioned this topic to my LQS owner last week when I was paying for my Thimbleberries. As to the Thimbleberries I have never done one so I signed up for 2010. I having a little buyers remorse now that I see what else is coming out for 2010.

    As to the BOM she said it is the patterns that make them so expensive.

  24. #49
    Senior Member Pepita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Richmond, TX
    Posts
    425
    She also mentioned that it was a thangles BOM. Maybe the sheets of Thangles are expensive! That may include backing, batting, and binding--I do know that many of the BOM online have a larger price at the end for the backing etc.

  25. #50
    Super Member sewingladydi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Woodhaven, Michigan
    Posts
    1,983
    I can't imagine what would make 1 quilt block worth $25.00. Even considering a fee to the designer and a cutting fee, that strikes me as too pricey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.