Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Book & Fabric Postage >

Book & Fabric Postage

Book & Fabric Postage

Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I think they're all concerned because the Post Office has been operating at a loss, and they're all concerned about what it might mean for their jobs. They are in a tough spot, so as we put it, this is EGR territory... that's "Extra Grace Required".

As to the regional rate boxes: we had a USPS sales rep stop by Tuesday and she brought us samples of the four boxes, along with charts showing the costs by weight and zone.

It seems that if you can fit your "stuff" into one of the smaller regional boxes, you will save money if the package weighs more than 3 pounds. If your "stuff" is too bulky for the smaller box, but will fit in the larger one, you will save money if the package weighs more than 5 pounds. AND... if you are shipping to nearby zones. For us (here in NY) that' s zones 1-4, which basically means anywhere east of the Mississippi. For more distant locations, the "old" flat-rate boxes are the better deal.

The zones depend on your location, and here's a link to find YOUR zones: http://postcalc.usps.gov/Zonecharts/
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 PM

I like this link - I started with Media mail. Select the type of mailing you have from the options on the left. Notice that under the box of prices, you see the size limits.

http://www.usps.com/prices/media-mail-prices.htm
Old 01-29-2011, 11:24 AM

We started this chat a while back. Yesterday one of the cardboard mailers I'd bought from the PO arrived in an envelope from the USPS. The mailer looked as if a truck had run over it. They wanted a "detailed description of the item that had become separated from this packaging."
I had to laugh when they suggested I put my name and address inside the package to avoid losses in the future.
I guess a novel with my 1/2 inch tall and 4 inch wide name on the front, and a mailing address on the copyright page doesn't count as "inside the package" identification. The book and the package clearly had no association with each other by the time they reached the PO. It will be interesting to see if they locate the lost books. I'll let you know what happens.