Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Book & Fabric Postage >
  • Book & Fabric Postage

• Book & Fabric Postage

Old 01-17-2011, 07:09 PM

I get my polymailers on ebay for less than 10 cents each. There is one seller who always has the lowest prices and great selection.
    Uline is the equivalent of LQS, "HIGH" prices!!!
    Old 01-17-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
    I hear there are new rules on that "flat" mailer for $4.95/it has to be flat. You can't stuff them anymore. bummer but that the way they are getting more money. I sent 4 magazines for the $4.95, it was heavy but was flat. I need to check the web site and see what else they have come up with...
    Yes, at my local post office in the grocery store, I notice this morning that there is a poster showing "flat" and "not flat"....
    I guess with all the internet postings and competition, they are tuffing up....
    Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Can't tell you how many people selling fabric on the "Members Buy/Sell/Trade-Classified" thread are saying they can stuff up to 8 yards of fabric into one of the $5 flat rate mailers! I recently sold some stash fabrics and I don't think I could even get 4 yards in one of those things. I've noticed the quilt shops are saying that too... How do they do it?
    You can fit 8 yards of regular 44" wide cotton fabric into the envelope. Here's how: for each yard, you just fold it in half, and in half again, so you have a 9" x 22" piece, then fold it in thirds across the width. Multiple yards? Fold each piece down to the 9" x 22" size, stack them all up, and fold them in thirds, all rolled up together. If you put them in a plastic bag it slides into the envelope more easily. We tape over the edge of the flap, plus the tear strips. It makes the envelope harder to open but I would rather have that, than to have the tear strips get caught in the sorting machinery.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one of the new legal-size flat rate envelopes, to see what will fit in those.
    Old 01-17-2011, 09:11 PM

I've got the new legal size envelopes...they are very flimsy cardboard and the flap is much smaller...I'm sure that's to ensure that it's not stuffed.
    Old 01-17-2011, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
    I've got the new legal size envelopes...they are very flimsy cardboard and the flap is much smaller...I'm sure that's to ensure that it's not stuffed.
    Hmmm... would a single strip of packing tape, properly placed, make up for the smaller flap?
    Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I would say it probably could...to a small degree.
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM
    QKO

Sending out our first "legal-sized" FRE's today. They seem a bit flimsier, if that's possible, than the old FRE's, and the flap is smaller. My old limit for FRE's is 4 yds, will probably stay the same for these but we'll be able to fold fabric a bit larger so it'll lay a bit flatter. Maybe go to 4.5 yds, or 5 yds of batik for the new legals, we'll see. We pack stuff in very heavy vinyl heat seal to protect our orders against all environmental damage, so that takes up some room and our PO won't accept overstuffing and modified mailers, so that's the reason for our limits.

Correction on pricing to my earlier post. The legal FRE's go for the same price as the old ones, $4.75 online or 4.95 PO. The new padded FRE's are 4.95 whether you buy postage online or at PO. Stamps.com has been updated for them.

Domestic first class depends on thickness. A "flat" is a little cheaper and must be under 1/4" thick. A 1st class thick envelope, aka 1st class parcel is over 1/4" thick at some point. Both must weigh 13 ounces or less.

Priority mail rates went up on Jan 2, so the difference between parcel post and priority mail prices is now greater.

I haven't seen anything much yet about the new "regional rate"Priority Mail that's supposed to be available. Stamps.com has not yet updated to reflect those boxes. I wonder when that's coming and whether it'll be useful?
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    I get my polymailers on ebay for less than 10 cents each. There is one seller who always has the lowest prices and great selection.
    Uline is the equivalent of LQS, "HIGH" prices!!!
    Thanks for the tips about ebay sellers. I hadn't thought of checking there. I'll see if they have the size I need for my novel.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM

Here's a link to the regional rate box info:

http://www.usps.com/shipping/regionalratebox.htm

The sizes are a little different than those of the flat-rate boxes, and their is a weight limit. But I don't think that boxes of fabric will exceed the weight limit so that shouldn't be an issue for quilters!
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:13 PM

This is an excellent link.

I mailed a package today at "Media" rate and the clerk was nice enough to remind me that Media is subject to be open... in a not so nice way. I told her they could open it now or later... but it is media and no other advertising in it.

Made me feel like I was trying to get "away" with something... like it comes out of her pocket... sorry but the attitude really annoyed me.