Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Book & Fabric Postage >

Book & Fabric Postage

Book & Fabric Postage

Old 01-17-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I hear there are new rules on that "flat" mailer for $4.95/it has to be flat. You can't stuff them anymore. bummer but that the way they are getting more money. I sent 4 magazines for the $4.95, it was heavy but was flat. I need to check the web site and see what else they have come up with...

I very recently sent a flat rate envelope that was VERY full (and certainly not flat). When I took it to the USPO I was only charged $4.75. Don't know why costs vary so according to the POs. Marge
Old 01-17-2011, 09:32 AM

Just go to the USPS.com site and it should answer all your questions. You can print your own postage (with PayPal acct.or charge) and even arrange for pick up.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

This was taken directly from www.usps.com and defines how the flat-rate envelope can be used:

Envelope size: 12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

Features
Priority Mail Flat Rate service offers 2-3 day service to most domestic destinations. Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes are available at many Post Offices and can be ordered online at usps.com/shop. You can print Priority Mail labels and postage with Click-N-Ship at usps.com and receive a price reduction.

Domestic Prices
Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelopes are one low price to U.S. destinations, regardless of the actual weight of the piece. Discounts are available through Click-N-Ship at usps.com

International Prices
Online discounts are available through Click-N-Ship at usps.com to international destinations. The weight limit is 4 pounds to international destinations for items mailed in the Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope provided by the Postal Service.

When sealing a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope, the container flaps must be able to close within the normal folds. Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams to reinforce the container; provided the design of the container is not enlarged by opening the sides and the container is not reconstructed in any way.

This description does not, in my interpretation, say that you cannot really stuff the envelopes, as long as the flap can be closed in the normal way.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:31 AM

I got a manila envelope, the weight was under 13 oz. I figured first class right Yes fine but it bulged a little (fabric) so it was considered a first class pkg. Not an envelope.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM

The USPS rules are like the IRS rules...it depends on who you ask and when you ask them. You definitely have to be informed and knowledgeable about their rules.

I've found that the rules are applied differently in all areas of the country. I try to stay versed on their packaging rules, so if they try and slip me a line, I can confidently let them know what their rules say...and then they usually back down.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I got a manila envelope, the weight was under 13 oz. I figured first class right Yes fine but it bulged a little (fabric) so it was considered a first class pkg. Not an envelope.
It's considered a package, not a "flat", if it's more than 3/4" thick. (This pertains to First Class Mail, not Priority.)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
Here's the first class rules...down there in the middle it states "no more than 1/4" thick"... and furtuer down it states no more then 3/4" thick for large envelopes.

http://www.usps.com/prices/first-class-mail-prices.htm
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics

Here's the first class rules...down there in the middle it states "no more than 1/4" thick"... and furtuer down it states no more then 3/4" thick for large envelopes.

Looks like the 1/4" thick part pertains to those items that are defined as "a letter" (also called a "flat") and the 3/4" thick pertains to "large envelopes" (parcels).
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics

Looks like the 1/4" thick part pertains to those items that are defined as "a letter" (also called a "flat") and the 3/4" thick pertains to "large envelopes" (parcels).
Yup...that's the way I interpret it too.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:49 PM

There is a media rate. I mail all of my novels at this rate. They weigh the package and postage is by weight and distance. My novel is a tad over one pound. That is $2.77 postage for that weight to anywhere in US.
It's cheaper this way than a flat rate box. I use poly-vinyl mailers, plastic and rip proof. Won't get wet in rain or snow and a sharpie address won't come off and get lost.