Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Book & Fabric Postage >

Book & Fabric Postage

Book & Fabric Postage

Old 01-16-2011, 08:56 AM

the post office quy told me friday that it just has to be mailed at the post office if over 13 ounces but it think he said up to 70 lbs if mailed at post office
Old 01-16-2011, 09:24 AM

To get the Media Mail rate for books, you cannot use the Priority shipping supplies. However, if you had a flat rate priority envelope and the book did not weigh more than 4 pounds, postage should have only been 4.95. They also have a priority envelope that is not flat rate, but zone based, meaning you pay for weight and distance.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:52 AM

I asked my DH about this as he does ebay occasionally. Did you buy a flat rate envelope, he said if you got a flat rate envelope you can put in up to 80lbs. However it sounds as if you did not do that
Old 01-16-2011, 10:19 AM

My one book was the OBW & didn't weigh a whole lot. Asked for media mail & it was $4.80,no tracking, from OH to NY.

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
To get the Media Mail rate for books, you cannot use the Priority shipping supplies. However, if you had a flat rate priority envelope and the book did not weigh more than 4 pounds, postage should have only been 4.95. They also have a priority envelope that is not flat rate, but zone based, meaning you pay for weight and distance.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Originally Posted by donnajean
They now have a "Legal" size (wider) Flat Rate Envelope which goes for $4.95 when both printing label on website or mailing from post office.

There is also a "padded" Flat Rate Envelope for which also goes for $4.95.

Both have the free "Delivery Confirmation" if using their website to print the labels.

All these containers can be ordered on the USPS.com website for "free" & they will deliver them to your door. You can order a "variety pack" of the various size Priority box containers as well.

Originally Posted by LindaR
I hear there are new rules on that "flat" mailer for $4.95/it has to be flat. You can't stuff them anymore. bummer but that the way they are getting more money. I sent 4 magazines for the $4.95, it was heavy but was flat. I need to check the web site and see what else they have come up with...
Do you have a link for the new 'LEGAL' size ones.. ?? I checked websits all I found was 9x12
Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM

that doesn't sound right - $4.72 Media Mail will ship 7 pounds, that's a big book!
Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM

I just mailed 2 books in a box with lots of newspaper to stuff them to avoid movement - box weighed 4 pounds, 14.90 oz, and it shipped, media rate for $3.94. Michigan to New Mexico.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 AM

The post office will also pick up priority mail at your home. You just put it with your other outgoing mail or go to the USPS site and request a pickup. You have to have the postage on it already but if you have a postage scale that isn't a problem.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 AM

Flat rate is "FLAT RATE" and needs to be under 70 lbs. according to my post office. I have tried to print labels but for some reason it will not print on my printers.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Book or "Media Mail" rate goes by the pound. Also, there are strict restrictions on the contents being books. If they suspect that it is not a book, they will open it & return it to sender. Go to USPS.com & click on "Media Mail" to get the correct postage for eah lb. added.

The Priority Flat Rate Mailer is $4.75 if you print the label on their website or $4.95 if you go to the post office. Flat Rate Mailers do not hava a weigh limit, but they cannot be stuffed to buldging. When printing Priority Mailing labels on the website, the Delivery Confirmation is "free".

Donna Jean is right, but the new rate is 5.20 at the post office and 5.00 on line. I usually use media rate unless they are in a hurry for the book. It takes longer, sometimes 3-9 days.

Originally Posted by carolaug
If you go to a post office and state its a book its under 3.00 any size or weight...I am sure if you need to track it the price will be a bit more. You do have to tell them its a book.