Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Book & Fabric Postage >
  • Book & Fabric Postage

• Book & Fabric Postage

Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks all. I went to USPS site & will do as suggested...read up on the rules.Do they have the poly-vinyl mailers? Know what they are,as I have a couple that came media rate.

Originally Posted by Quilt-Writer
    There is a media rate. I mail all of my novels at this rate. They weigh the package and postage is by weight and distance. My novel is a tad over one pound. That is $2.77 postage for that weight to anywhere in US.
    It's cheaper this way than a flat rate box. I use poly-vinyl mailers, plastic and rip proof. Won't get wet in rain or snow and a sharpie address won't come off and get lost.
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 PM

The mailers are available at office supply stores. My PO has paper bubble ones but not the plastic ones.

I ordered a case of 100 from Uline. Much cheaper if you do a great deal of mailing as I do with my novel. If you only need a few, the office supply route would meet your need.
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM

I ordered on ebay, because I couldn't find any poly-mailers in my local office supply stores. I can't wait to get them.
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
    Power Poster

Can't tell you how many people selling fabric on the "Members Buy/Sell/Trade-Classified" thread are saying they can stuff up to 8 yards of fabric into one of the $5 flat rate mailers! I recently sold some stash fabrics and I don't think I could even get 4 yards in one of those things. I've noticed the quilt shops are saying that too... How do they do it?
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM

I found mailers at Staples. I needed an 8 1/2 X 12 size but they were over $1 each, I think. I don't know about ebay cost, but my case of 100 was $40 with shipping included from Uline-an office supply type store. They sent me a catalog, I ordered, and the box of mailers arrived the next day. I can easily get 2 books in one package so they're roomy and flexible.
    Old 01-17-2011, 04:59 PM

When you go to the "Post Office", make sure it is the Post Office and not a sub-station. They can make up their own rules! Books go media mail - nothing else inserted into the package. Flat Rate envelopes can be stuffed, but not overfilled so the packaging is in danger of tearing the envelope. Go to USPS.com and calculate your postage. Magazines and fabric go first class or parcel or in a flat rate envelope. Just be sure of were you are going - the Post Office is the best place to ship from!
    Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM

The paper envelopes are risky for paperback or hardback books. The edges easliy rip the envelope. I lost 3 books shipping with those mailers and got some pictures of nearly demolished mailers. Go with the poly-vinyl for a book, in my opinion. The others might be fine for fabrics.
    Old 01-17-2011, 05:34 PM

I use a lot of recycled poly mailers that I recycle. They are better for books and hard items. I also will wrap the books in tyvek used envelopes befoe I put them into the FRE. But I normally mail books first class at a better rate. If there are a lot of books, the box is better. Same for magazines.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM

I bought 50 (6"x9" ) and 20(9"x12" ) polymailers on ebay and paid under $11 (shipping included) for all of that...but one of the other members gave me the name of a different seller on ebay that has them even cheaper..PM me if you want the name..it's in my email somewhere.
    Old 01-17-2011, 06:54 PM

I meant media mail - not first class for books. The magazines go first class since they are usually one at a time. I just find the cheapest rate I can and use that unless my customer wants something better and will pay for it. I love the medium FRB because I can put so much in it for the same rate. I'll have to check out the suppliers for the tyvek and poly mailers. The others, I pick up at the dollar store or Walmart.