Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 AM

I remember a time years ago, when my MIL went to a fabric store, and bought bolts of fabric. (My MIL had an illness...bi-polar). She was one of the best seamstress around, but when she had flair ups of this, she would go on a buying spree and not really have anything special to make. It was a horrible life to live as I watched her when she was well vs. when she would get sick. People made fun of her and were so rude to her. I took the bolts of fabric back to the store for her as she wasn't able to hardly remember where she got them.

As she aged, her bi-polar illness got worse. She was in a nursing home for 10 years and when she would be in a "manic" state, she would be driven to do everything. She could crochet anything without a pattern, but when she would be in one of these states, whatever she tried didn't come out right. I remember the CNA's making fun of her. It broke our hearts because if they had known this lady, it would have meant the world of difference in the way she was treated.

So you did the right thing in not being rude to her, because until we walk in another person's shoes, we don't know what they are going thru.

I suffer from severe depression and I have been told that I act as if I am better than they, when it is really I am so depressed I can't interact with people. I just keep quite.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:21 PM

I'm late on reading, playing catch up today. I've been sick. That was really rude of the lady. Now I usually have the cutters ask me what I'm making, but never get a negative feed back from them. LOL.. I'm sorry, but I did get a chuckle out of you calling your cart a 'buggy' goes to show how in different parts of the country we call things something different. I'm in Oregon and when shopping I call them carts. LOL
Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by BizyStitches
I'm late on reading, playing catch up today. I've been sick. That was really rude of the lady. Now I usually have the cutters ask me what I'm making, but never get a negative feed back from them. LOL.. I'm sorry, but I did get a chuckle out of you calling your cart a 'buggy' goes to show how in different parts of the country we call things something different. I'm in Oregon and when shopping I call them carts. LOL
We call them buggys in the south.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ddddd
very odd. I wonder why that bothered her so much?

I guess I'm one of those too. I go into my local fabric shop sometimes with a quilt pattern to pick fabric for or a list of colors I need, but I come out with at least 5-6 times more than what I went for. The other women in there and coming there don't ask each other that question though. In fact , we have a habit of showing each other fabrics that would go good with what each other has.I guess my fabric shop has a lot of "other" customers.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I have talked to people in passing and if I see a fabric that I really like in their cart I will tell them that I love that fabric. They are probably weirded out be my also, but that is okay. I have two little kids and I am a stay at home mommy, I just like to talk to adults in passing even if it is to say that I love that fabric they have in their cart. So Sorry to all those I come across and say something to. I don't mean to offend or creep you out. I just need adult conversation once in a while. Talking to kids can get tiring some days.

I haven't thought about creeping anybody out, but I may have done it and not realized it. I'm so used to my local shop that talking to other people buying fabric seems natural to me. Or it may be the small country town coming out in me,I'll have to watch my comments when I go somewhere larger.