Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
Good thing about blue tooth headsets now - people don't think anything of someone talking to themselves. lol
I don't know about you....but it still bothers me when people are talking with their phone headsets! Many is the time when I turn around to see who's talking to me and why? Sort of makes me wonder about those people with disabilities who walk about with their walkman units listening to calming tapes or whatever. Now we really don't know if they (people with phone headsets) are really talking to someone! How sad to realize that they really get to feeling that they are that indespensible to need to be in contact even in the bathroom. LOL.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by Momsmurf
Originally Posted by dunster
I found myself talking to the yogurt at Safeway today. Really. Usually my DH is close by and I can pretend I was talking to him, but this time he was outside in the car.
You have nothing to worry about.......
until the yogurt starts talking back to you!

LOL
That's okay, it didn't have much to say anyway.

FUNNY! Love your sense of humor....a must have!
Old 01-09-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I really think that it is good that the cutting lady asked what you are going to make because some people pick up the wrong fabric for a project. I have seen it many times. I also have a lot of stash that doesn't have a plan yet. I buy 1 to 2 yards because I liked it. Then when the notion hits me I will look it up & hey that piece will be good for this or that.
Okay, did I miss something? I thought this was just someone in the shop who was shopping as well. I did not think it was the cutting lady. I will have to re read to find out.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:44 AM

she may have been looking to stir up a conversation, but, sounds more like a person unbalanced. You handled yourself very well. I would have talked to a sales clerk or someone though to mention about this woman
Old 01-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Like I said before you meet some very nice people while shopping for fabric, many quilters who just want to know what you are up to with your fabric, I see no harm in that. Sometimes they even have used it or have an idea, which to me is interesting. I agree with kathidah on this one.
Originally Posted by kathidahl
I think I will stop reading this thread. Too many fabriholics feeling guilty and put upon by simple (or even in some cases not so simple) conversation about their purchase. When I was selling fabric, I enjoyed asking what the purchase was going to be used for...just conversation and showing interest in my customer. I observe that I would not like to be cutting fabric for some of the perfect, private people on this board. I imagine many would complain if the clerk waited on them with a straight face and wordlessly. I am done with this thread, it is bringing me down.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by Debra Mc
I really think that it is good that the cutting lady asked what you are going to make because some people pick up the wrong fabric for a project. I have seen it many times. I also have a lot of stash that doesn't have a plan yet. I buy 1 to 2 yards because I liked it. Then when the notion hits me I will look it up & hey that piece will be good for this or that.
Okay, did I miss something? I thought this was just someone in the shop who was shopping as well. I did not think it was the cutting lady. I will have to re read to find out.
It was but someone made the comment that the clerk has asked them what they are going to do with a certain fabric. You get a novice sometimes & they may like a certain fabric but it will not work for what they are making. Sorry we got a little off the subject of the noisy nut job.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM

No, it was a customer. I think that comment just went along with the conversation.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 AM

It's just that your business is much more interesting then hers!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:28 PM

I find people in general, are lonely. I can ride the metro for 30-40 miles and no one speaks to anyone. It is perfectly quiet. They all have on earphones, listening to music or texting one another. You can usually hear a pin drop. What kind of world are we heading into. Excuse me. according to one person here, I have "NOT THE TRAINING' for starting a conversation. Since when do we need to be trained to be friendly to our fellow citizens. I am appalled at some of this thread.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
I find people in general, are lonely. I can ride the metro for 30-40 miles and no one speaks to anyone. It is perfectly quiet. They all have on earphones, listening to music or texting one another. You can usually hear a pin drop. What kind of world are we heading into. Excuse me. according to one person here, I have "NOT THE TRAINING' for starting a conversation. Since when do we need to be trained to be friendly to our fellow citizens. I am appalled at some of this thread.
I have a great time going to my fabric store and I'm there so often that they always ask what I'll be making....and my usual answer is........I don't know....I just have to have it before it's gone. :-P There are times when I do have something in mind and in that case I will tell them. They also like it when we customers bring in the finished product as they love seeing what was made out of a product they sold.

Regarding the lack of conversation among "strangers" = I really wish people would just put away their cell phones, Iphones, and all that other gadgets....or at least turn it off for periods of time. Can we be that interested in being "in touch" and available all the time? How sad to be so insecure, yet complain that they are " so busy, there's no time for much else." DAH!