Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-09-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingrandmafromMi
A lot of people like her go into a fabric store only when they need material for a particular project, any quilter will tell you it's not about the project but the love of fabrics! Don't resent her, feel sorry for her!
This is how I feel about it as well. Some of us just love looking at fabric, touching it. It is beautiful just sitting there. It brings us a simply pleasure to our lives that some just don't understand.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dingle
I have a boat load of fabric I have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet. (Like so many of you :thumbup: ) If I see something that catches my eye, I buy it. Isn't that what they call a stash? :D
Sometimes I have a vague idea of what I'm buying fabric for. But most of the time it's to keep my stock supply up. I try to keep 18 of each color (6 lt,6 med, 6 dark). I do the same with my bindings and keep about 12 backings in different colors,and 6 whites. I only go to 1 fabric shop so she knows when I come in what I'm coming in for.She always has help,so she takes care of me herself.I have trouble walking down some of the aisles cause my walker is wider than some of the aisles are and I have trouble walking on my own,so she will bring the fabric to me that I point out to her. She even helps my sister carry my bags out to the car.I know I'm a lot of extra trouble to her that her other customers aren't but she hides it well.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:09 PM

I just had to add another 2 cents worth. Did anyone realize that a fabric shop is one place where a woman alone can go without feeling out of place? If she is elderly, spouse has passed, friends are also gone or moved or in nursing homes. Is this a "safe" place for her to roam around, talk to someone, perhaps she did not have conversation training. I am not trying to put anyone down for their beliefs or remarks. I am trying to remind all that we could be in that situation, my husband passed 9 years ago, my children live out of state, I am 73 and can't drive at night or a lot because of gas prices, do I really need to go on? Can we simply wear someone elses shoes for a while. Can we take a try at common sense. Please take a breath and love thy neighbor as thy self or do you love yourself?
Old 01-09-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
I just had to add another 2 cents worth. Did anyone realize that a fabric shop is one place where a woman alone can go without feeling out of place? If she is elderly, spouse has passed, friends are also gone or moved or in nursing homes. Is this a "safe" place for her to roam around, talk to someone, perhaps she did not have conversation training. I am not trying to put anyone down for their beliefs or remarks. I am trying to remind all that we could be in that situation, my husband passed 9 years ago, my children live out of state, I am 73 and can't drive at night or a lot because of gas prices, do I really need to go on? Can we simply wear someone elses shoes for a while. Can we take a try at common sense. Please take a breath and love thy neighbor as thy self or do you love yourself?
When I go, I'm usually there for 2-3 hours.I went last week and took a freshly baked cake with me.There were about 4-5 other women in the shop so we all sat around with the owner,her daughter,and her mother eating cake and talking about quilting.. There were other customers that came in and didn't have time to stay and talk,but they came over and talked to the owner's mother for just a moment anyway.After we ate cake we picked out fabric to buy and made sure to talk to her mother before we all left.If everyone just treated just one person with friendship and kindness that way the world would be a better place.My grandma had a very good motto."What you send out comes back to you".
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM

I'm with you we all may be there some day. I have met some very nice people this way. Lets all be friends.
Originally Posted by Connie Merritt
Old 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Banned

I take no notice now of the weirdos and believe me there are plenty around here who can't keep their noses out!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewwhat85
lol people she must only buy fabric she needs you know one of those LOL
Ahh yes! She probably is not very creative and can't understand peeps who are.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM

Yes, the first thing I thought when I read this is that my Mom started to say things totally out of character before she was diagnosed with Alzhiemers.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:29 PM

I admit to not reading too much of this thread, but your post was kind of what I was thinking. I have no outward signs I had a brain injury, and though it doesn't seem to make me say what I'm thinkng, I've read that it sometimes does.
You handles it well, she really didn't hurt anything, imo, no big deal. You might be the lady she talks about when she gets home, the NICE lady
Old 01-13-2011, 12:26 AM

You should have told her you were gettiing it so it could age properly. Some of my stash has aged a while just like a find wine. lol.