Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
I probably would have quipped back, OH, you must be the quilt police person. Its so nice that your on duty today to criticize what I will do with my fabric. Ok ok I can be a real snip occasionally. grin.
We all have a 'snippy' side sometimes!!
Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
It is only my opinion, but I think a person is wound way too tight and uncomfortable in their own skin when what a person they do not know comments positively/negatively on a perceived action causes them 1. anxiety 2. to lash out 3. to even think about it after the fact. You know yourself, you do not know the stresses, relationships or physical/mental condition of a passing person..cut them some slack..someday it could be you or someone you love or care for...just saying....
This is so true and I am certainly guilty of jumping to my defense too quickly. We never know what the other person is dealing with in their life. "Walk a mile in my shoes" should be uppermost in our thoughts.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:46 AM

If we were all the same the world would certainly fall of it's axis. I agree with the quilter who stated about Alzheimers. Someday and who knows we also might do something "Strange". Thank you for your courteousness to her.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 AM

Please don't stop talking to people (especially if you can take a hint)! You'll miss out on making friends and miss meeting others that want to talk. What I think is rude is when someone doesn't take a hint. I was in the checkout line at Joann's once (before I stopped shopping there) and a lady in line behind me started asking what I was making. I smiled, and was polite, but just said "I'm not sure yet" even though I knew quite well what I would be making, and I turned back around, with my back to her, but she kept talking. I kept turning my back, and even got my cell phone out and pretended to call someone, but she just kept talking to me! I wasn't feeling well that day and really did not want to be in a cordial conversation with a stranger, but she would not take the hint. That, I consider at the very least kind of sad, and at the worst, rude. If someone seems pleasantly engaged in conversation with you, go for it! If they're giving you obvious signs of wanting to end the conversation, move on, but don't worry about what they think of you!

Originally Posted by Sophie2
Originally Posted by sahm4605
I have talked to people in passing and if I see a fabric that I really like in their cart I will tell them that I love that fabric. They are probably weirded out be my also, but that is okay. I have two little kids and I am a stay at home mommy, I just like to talk to adults in passing even if it is to say that I love that fabric they have in their cart. So Sorry to all those I come across and say something to. I don't mean to offend or creep you out. I just need adult conversation once in a while. Talking to kids can get tiring some days.
I am like you, I often ask someone what they are going to make from their fabric or let them know I like it. I never thought I was being rude - just striking up conversations with fellow quilters. I can usually tell if people do not like my asking and if I get that feeling I just move on hoping to run into a quilter that will talk. Like someone else said, most quilters are talkative, friendly people. I usually quilt alone, so if I am in a quilt shop I feel like I am around people with like interests and try to converse with them. Now I'm afraid I may not be so talkative for fear someone may think I'm strange.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:55 AM

Why are you more concerned with a person in real time visiting with you than you are with 5 pages of comments on this board?!Most of us should be considering what we are going to do with that fabric we have accumulated--all that stash that surely we will use before we die or it rots. Visiting with other shoppers may suggest a new project to me if I'm visiting with those selecting fabric. Guess she picked the wrong person. I think it's interesting to know what the intended use is for what others are selecting. But then I enjoy people. And can you imagine buying fabric and not knowing what you are going to do with it?! : ) For shame!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 AM

I would have asked her if she was writing a book.

Last week I went to my favorite fabric haunt. There were about five other people there when I arrived. I talk to fabric so naturally two of the others and I started a conversation and quickly became enablers of one another. When these impromptu encounters ask "What are you going to make?" Usually the response is "I haven't the slightest idea, I just know I want it." It always ends in an exchange of ideas and other pertinent information. We are definitely not Fabric Snobs. We share fabric, ideas, patterns, and assistance choosing fabrics for projects.

Letting someone with one fabric needing cutting go ahead of you, just means you can look for more fabric. We are a very friendly and helpful bunch when we shop.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:27 AM

A lot of people like her go into a fabric store only when they need material for a particular project, any quilter will tell you it's not about the project but the love of fabrics! Don't resent her, feel sorry for her!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155373.png  
Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 AM

How old was the woman ?? I've run into many woman like and "they don't even know they're being rude". I really think it's just part of aging for some and I always hope that I don't end up the same. My mother was the sweetest and dearest but she tended to do this at times when she was older. NEVER did this when she was younger. "Just smile and say....You bet I am" or whatever. I agree with them and most of the time "they run from me" :lol:
Old 01-07-2011, 07:06 AM

Or MAYBE the woman was just RUDE!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:13 AM

You should of politely ask her if she was taking a survey or was she writing a book on what women do with all of their fabric. I would of told her that you just lust after fabric and when you get it home you just strip down naked and waller in it LOL