Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo
I would of told her that you just lust after fabric and when you get it home you just strip down naked and waller in it LOL
LOL- I don't think I could say that with a straight face- I would die laughing as soon as it came out of my mouth.
Thanks for the chuckle!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by gawney
this didn't happen in a store but it upset me anyway. I joined a quilting group to learn how to quilt I was very excited about it. The second night I was there everyone was talking and it seemed whenever I said something it was like I was invisible. They were all talking about there Chrismas dinner and that thay were going to Swish Chalet but not one person asked me if I would be going or which resaurant they were going to. Then I was so excited about buying lots of fabric from connecting threads sale and one lady was very upset that I was buying fabric from the U.S.A. I told her that I could not afford to buy my fabric in Canada as most of it is about 17 dollars a metre. Then as I was sewing she said my sewing machine sounded funny and had I ever had it serviced (it is a brother that I bought at wal-mart for about 90 dollars) by the way she had just bought a longarm and she was waiting for it to come across the border (go Figure) she also said she used to sell pfaff machines so I guess my cheap brother machine wasn't up to her standards so needless to say I have not returned to the group. I was so looking forward to joining this group I don't know if I should go back or not.
I feel so bad for you. Wish you lived closer to NM or CA, I think you'd feel welcomed here. Glad you found this site. It is terrific.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 AM

I find some of the responses here bordering on rude. How hard is it to be nice to somebody for 15 minutes in a store? Even somebody a little off the beam?
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 AM

Being old and no longer shy, and living pretty isolated out in the boonies, I find myself talking to strangers, especially in fabric stores where there is a commonality by just being there. I certainly try not to make rude comments, but people are usually startled by anyone they don't know speaking to them. I have found over many years that a friendly comment and a smile usually brightens everyone's day; stranger or not. Who knows why she said what she did, but it didn't hurt anyone, and she made contact with another soul...mark it off to your good deed for the day by being tolerant of her quirky attitude! You may get strange someday too...we all worry about Alzhimers.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I find some of the responses here bordering on rude. How hard is it to be nice to somebody for 15 minutes in a store? Even somebody a little off the beam?
Amen! I hope some of us just use this Board to vent and are not as nasty in person....read through this thread and you will see what I mean.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:30 AM

You all might be taking this all too serious have you ever thought that she didn't mean it like that. Maybe she is the same way like you, me and everyone else on here that stashes material away and like someone said maybe she just wanted to strike up a conversation. :D
Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 AM

This why I always agree with them. I would have said, "Yep, I'm ONE OF THOSE. (Always keep smiling while you do it.) The more you agree, the more they have nothing more to say.
Originally Posted by sherrielynn
Or MAYBE the woman was just RUDE!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 AM

Was there a long line? Sometimes "interesting" people like that break up the monotony. I would have just smiled & winked at her, like she found out my very own little secret! :lol: I'm proud to be "one of those people" who buy fabric with absolutely no idea what I will be insprired to use it for. And when I sew, I need look no further than my stash to "shop" because I am already pretty well stocked with fabric I love.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:57 AM

I think I would have told her 'if it were any of your business I would write you a letter'.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by duckydo
You should of politely ask her if she was taking a survey or was she writing a book on what women do with all of their fabric. I would of told her that you just lust after fabric and when you get it home you just strip down naked and waller in it LOL
How I wish I could be that audacious! Gave me a good giggle for the day.

I've run into people like that sometimes and I react to their nosiness or rudeness with a simple stare and a raised eyebrow, but seldom a word. Over here, it's called "stink eye." Unless they're really oblivious, they get the message.