Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:47 AM

I hardly ever know exactly what I am gonna make out of the things I buy.
I just like to buy what catches my eye. :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by hulahoop1
Originally Posted by duckydo
You should of politely ask her if she was taking a survey or was she writing a book on what women do with all of their fabric. I would of told her that you just lust after fabric and when you get it home you just strip down naked and waller in it LOL
How I wish I could be that audacious! Gave me a good giggle for the day.

I've run into people like that sometimes and I react to their nosiness or rudeness with a simple stare and a raised eyebrow, but seldom a word. Over here, it's called "stink eye." Unless they're really oblivious, they get the message.
I should have added that I can usually tell the difference between rudeness and the curious. I enjoy swapping ideas/opinions, etc. with the. I don't waste time with the rude ones.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:02 AM

I had a dear friend (now unable to speak & in a nursing home) who'd had surgery during which she had a mini-stroke & that started her off w/ "aphasia". Her normally sweet, twinkle-in-the-eye personality turned into a nosey, opinionated & often rude type. It was so hard to watch her going down hill! So remember, not every rude person is aware of how they're coming off. It's best not to be confrontational, but perhaps say a prayer for them & think to yourself this: "There but by the grace of God, go I." It could be our turn one day & I hope never to be rude to anyone. When asked by a nosey shopper, I usually say "Oh, I'm contemplating a couple of quilt patterns." & then move away. Duckydo has the right attitude. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 01-07-2011, 11:29 AM

I am sorry your feelings were irritated by the lady's comments. She may have had underlying issues especially since she mentioned Sr. Center (worries about getting old?).

I will say that I had to get used to people asking all kinds of personal questions whenever I go out and about. I originally came from the north, where no one talked to you in the grocery or something. You just got what you wanted and left unless you ran into someone personally acquainted. When we first moved to Tennessee I was in total culture shock. No matter where I went people of all ages talked, asked questions, wanted to know what I was going to do with that, or cook, etc. Now, in GA, they still do that. I am now used to it and chat right back at them. It still offends me sometimes. I had my 4 year old grandaughter for a year .. and we were putting a grocery cart away. A man started screaming at me in the parking lot for letting her push the cart...too dangerous, etc. What? I am right beside her! I just told him to have a good day. And then I had to explain to her that we had not done anything wrong by putting the cart away.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:48 AM

This line of respones reminds me of my dear mom who had a habit of carrying her crochet with her when we went to the mall, she would sit out in the mall and crochet while I did my shopping. I would come back to check on her freq. and see if she had any needs and she would tell me these great tales of how people would sit next to her and just about spill their guts over some problem or other and she would crochet and give little coments. In an hours time she had talked to and listen to about 2 or 3 people and knew everything about them. I would think even their priest did not know some of this stuff. I use to laugh and tell her she should set up an office and charge by the minute. IT is strange how some people seem to invite that type of interaction and others seem to be in their own little world all walled off from others. She never made a harsh remark about anyone and she never saw a baby that she did not tell the mother that it was a beautiful baby. I sometimes think that there are many folks out there that she pointed into a good direction and gave them a little crocheted angel that she was always making and had a bag full of with her.
You did good mom, you let someone in and gave them hope.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:51 AM

My neighborhood Joann's closing. I was in recently to see what had been marked down. There were two women (probably mother & daughter) that had bought all the quilting batting that was on a roll. It was alot and they had two carts to hold up the roll along with a ton of fabrics. There were a few bags of batting left, but none on a roll sold by the yard. They were standing in line to pay for it when another woman came up & demanded that they share what they had with her. They told her that they made quilts to donate to injured service men & women, and that they needed it all. The other woman was furious & told them in no uncertained terms as she huffed off. Myself & the others in line were standing there with our mouths opened. I agree with you that there are some strange people out there!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Wow, I have never encountered someone in a fabric store who didn't like to talk about what they were making or going to make. I will always try to strike up a conversation with someone if I am waiting my turn in line to have fabric cut. Most everyone will smile and gladly tell me what they intend and I in turn will let them know about my fabric if I know what it is I am going to do with it. A friendly "Gosh, I just love the fabric and it is the right price, but I really don't know right now which quilt I will use it for", said with a smile, should suffice. A smile and friendly conversation can really make someone's day. You handled the situation as best as you could.....maybe she was just a lonely sole.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:59 PM

I agree about being lonely
Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Did she give you her name??? Maybe she wants to be put in your will!!!! FUNNY! I lived in Salem, Oregon....we had a mental hospital practically in the middle of town, with lots of half-way houses around. I'm used to people like that! :)
Just say, Oh I am not done shopping yet, but I will do the planning later. Jan
Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM

My FIL taught my son to say its for nonya. Translation: None of ya business! That was rude of her. Sorry, I buy fabric all the time without knowing where or when I will use it.