Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:51 PM

I was just thinking. What would she have said if you had bought a rotary cutter and you didn't have specific plans to use it? Being in a nasty mood, I probably would have told her that she was giving me lots of ideas of how to use it and she was such an inspiration:) Sorry, being and feeling withcy today.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by olebat
There are several expressions in our house, one, "If we didn't have weird friends, we wouldn't have any friends at all." Another expression, "What constitutes normal anyway?" and "We birds of a feather . . "

So, in the warm, sunny, South, people commonly strike up conversations with strangers - about any and everything. This is such a drastic change from the cold, clammy Northern states where conversations with strangers are limited to business. When these societies mix, conversation is awkward. Someone tries to be sociable and friendly, and the other is taken aback and offended. Both retreat to their abodes reflecting on the attitude of the other wondering why.

The simple reason is that societies fail to accept change and adapt to new things. Wars are fought - big ones involving many states or nations, and little ones like road rage and shopping cart bashing or a fist fight on the corner after school.

What do we do? Learn to accept all people for who they are, their differences of opinion, and their underlying, (or unseen) psychological or physiological abilities. Remember that people are offended by cold shoulders as much as others are by cold remarks. It is our duty to the human race to try to get along with each other.

In a forum, such as this, we feel safe speaking our opinion because we don't really know each other. Would we be as bold if we were in city park where our voices could be heard by strangers?

Let this be a motto for all of us, "I live in a glass house, and will not cast stones."
Totally agree with you :thumbup:
Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I think I will stop reading this thread. Too many fabriholics feeling guilty and put upon by simple (or even in some cases not so simple) conversation about their purchase. When I was selling fabric, I enjoyed asking what the purchase was going to be used for...just conversation and showing interest in my customer. I observe that I would not like to be cutting fabric for some of the perfect, private people on this board. I imagine many would complain if the clerk waited on them with a straight face and wordlessly. I am done with this thread, it is bringing me down.
I'm sorry the thread brought you down. I don't mind people asking me what I'm going to do with my purchases. I try to answer if I have an idea. If I don't, I make a joke out of my need to collect fabric. The thing that worried me about the lady mentioned is that she seemed to be aggressive about publicly humilating another shopper. That bothered me because ultimately, I like fabric and fabric stores and the people who work and shop there. I enjoy going and looking and talking. It makes me so happy that I hate it when someone tries to embarass me and that was the way I took the situation. I hope you are okay.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by hahaannie
Originally Posted by beautress
Well, ctack2, sometimes people who act in that strange of a way are coming down with First or Second Stage Alzheimers, and they're not really talking to you, they're talking to an alternative reality field no one else can share with them. Under the circumstances, you conducted yourself in as good a way as you could to this rudeness, which no one could have changed, except perhaps a skilled nurse. She's lucky if she made it home without making a wrong turn, hurting herself, or someone else.

Another health issue could have been she had a mini-stroke in which she could still partially function.

imho
yes, I agree with you... I always try to look on the compassionate side when I am unsure of where a person is coming from. There but for the grace of God go I.
When I was reading the initial story I immediately thought there is a health issue going on here. I love to strike up conversations with other quilters and (speaking as a retired RN) this might have been one of those occasion to communicate with her to see if she was oriented to person, place and time. Intervention may have been warranted - especially if she was driving.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:28 AM

Wow, I learn something every day. You mean you are suppose to know what you are going to do with fabric when you buy it? lol I have been doing it wrong for years, if I like the pattern,color,feel or price of fabric I am tempted to buy it. I might have been tempted to say "My fabric addiction has made me homeless and I am making blankets for when I have to sleep under a bridge" that would have really given her a shock.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:24 AM

Oh well, there are some people who just have to be rude to others. They think they know everything and that the world revolves around them. I call people like this lady snobs.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:00 AM

I really think that it is good that the cutting lady asked what you are going to make because some people pick up the wrong fabric for a project. I have seen it many times. I also have a lot of stash that doesn't have a plan yet. I buy 1 to 2 yards because I liked it. Then when the notion hits me I will look it up & hey that piece will be good for this or that.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 AM

Sounds like Walmart. Sometime ago, hubby bought me a Brother SE-350 machine. Later I needed some more bobbins, so to Walmart I went, The lady? in fabrics asked me why I needed more. All she had to do was direct me to where they were hanging. Oh, I had to do all my sewing with white thread. DUH.
So hubby-being the onery person he is- went back and took every package of bobbins off the peg. He did t his several times and the lady told t he other employees that she was getting tired of ordering bobbins because someone keeps taking all of them. I don't get mad-I get even.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by fontmomma
Sounds like Walmart. Sometime ago, hubby bought me a Brother SE-350 machine. Later I needed some more bobbins, so to Walmart I went, The lady? in fabrics asked me why I needed more. All she had to do was direct me to where they were hanging. Oh, I had to do all my sewing with white thread. DUH.
So hubby-being the onery person he is- went back and took every package of bobbins off the peg. He did t his several times and the lady told t he other employees that she was getting tired of ordering bobbins because someone keeps taking all of them. I don't get mad-I get even.
Love it but I bet they are ordered automatically cause of the barcode when you check out. Dept manager told me one day they had no say so on what was ordered.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:53 PM

What an unnerving experience! I think, with that in mind, I'll have a pat answer ready, should that ever happen to me: "I plan to make some placemats and table runners and tree skirts for my daughters, or some quilts for children in the hospital." - even if that's not the case. <G> Best to avoid people like that, if you can.