Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:00 PM

Bet you can think of a lot of good comebacks for her now that its all over
Old 01-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Earleen
I have had people ask me the same question in shops what are you going to make with that and then we have ended up in a great quilting conversation.
Me, too, but when it comes down to it, ctack2 encountered a genuine wacko, and she did a great job of knowing when to fold 'em and when to walk away.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

What was it any of her business what you was going to do with it...you may not of had a ideal at the time but one would of came to you sooner or later...I dont like people like that either..
I probably would of put the stuff back and left thats how creeped out I would of been
Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I guess you could have told her you were getting it to wrap your husband's mummified body...so you could keep him on display and he'd be pretty!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that is something I would of thought of to say !! LOL
Old 01-07-2011, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by cbridges22
She may have been lonely and looking for conversation.
So very true...

There but for the Grace of God go I.

Just think, you will remember it, but she probably won't.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:01 PM

Whenever I buy fabric at JoAnns it seems the cutting clerk always asks me what I am going to make with the fabric. I so rarely know and feel silly telling her so. I wish they would just let us fabric junkies slip out un-noticed.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I think I will stop reading this thread. Too many fabriholics feeling guilty and put upon by simple (or even in some cases not so simple) conversation about their purchase. When I was selling fabric, I enjoyed asking what the purchase was going to be used for...just conversation and showing interest in my customer. I observe that I would not like to be cutting fabric for some of the perfect, private people on this board. I imagine many would complain if the clerk waited on them with a straight face and wordlessly. I am done with this thread, it is bringing me down.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 PM

I think I would have told her that I was going to make underwear out of it. Just to see what she said.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 PM

Last Time I was in Joanne's I had a buggy Full of 50-65% off fabric. A lady came up to me and asked snidely what I are you gonna make with all that. As I am stroking a bolt of fleece I answered, "Oh, I don't know, They just kept calling my name and when I answered them they all ended up in my buggy cause they wanted to go home with a quilter." She gave me the weirdo look and scrambled. Laughing I went around the end of the isle and 2 well dressed ladies (Mother & Daughter) were in the rotary cutter isle looking totally lost. Daughter says to me, giggling, "Are you the quilter?" I nod yes (thinking OH NO) she grabs her Mom and drags her over to me telling her Bet this lady can help us. She says they want to hang a quilt. Living in a household of joke playing men that watch a lot of westerns, my first rampant thought is a beautiful quilt hanging by a noose.... She then tells me that she has just been given a quilt for Christmas made by her G-Grandmother and she wants to hang it in her foyer & she needed the thingies (gestures wide with her arms, shaking her hands up and down) to hang it with. They don't have a clue as to how to do it. I snap out of my morbid thoughts and directed her to the drapery department for a rod and pocket making material. Mom already had thread and needles. They were very appreciative that someone had taken the time to explain how to properly hang it and what they needed to use. It was their first time in a fabric store CAN YOU IMAGINE????
We ended up having a 10 minute conversation about sewing and making quilts. They were both so excited. Goes to show It takes all kinds...:)
Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 PM

Put it down to senile behaviour and don't let it upset you.