Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy are there some strange people out there! >

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Boy are there some strange people out there!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM

I don't think you need to apologize, but some people cross a line or don't take a hint. I don't think complimenting someone's fabric in passing qualifies as either.

Originally Posted by sahm4605
I have talked to people in passing and if I see a fabric that I really like in their cart I will tell them that I love that fabric. They are probably weirded out be my also, but that is okay. I have two little kids and I am a stay at home mommy, I just like to talk to adults in passing even if it is to say that I love that fabric they have in their cart. So Sorry to all those I come across and say something to. I don't mean to offend or creep you out. I just need adult conversation once in a while. Talking to kids can get tiring some days.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Wow that is bizarre - and very creepy too...
Old 01-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Did she give you her name??? Maybe she wants to be put in your will!!!! FUNNY! I lived in Salem, Oregon....we had a mental hospital practically in the middle of town, with lots of half-way houses around. I'm used to people like that! :)
Are you going to the quilt show in Silverton?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM

It is nice to hear you were gracious to her even though she struck a nerve for you. We need more people like you!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:10 AM

Whenever I tell my husband about strange things like that happening to me, he always tells me 'weirdos attract weirdos'. I remind him 'that's why I picked you'.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:11 AM

I know how you feel. Several years ago I was grocery shopping with my youngest son who was super skinny and a teenager at the time. I had a cart stacked high to overflowing with groceries and a woman came up to me and said, "You should be ashamed of yourself." I asked why? "Look at him you don't feed him enough."
I told her that the groceries in the cart was only enough for 1 week. There was only my husband, son and I. Most of those groceries would be eaten by our son. If she thought she could do better she could have him for a month it would save me about $500 a month.
She didn't take me up on it.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ctack2
I went to my local Hancocks the other day just to browse. I had 2 bolts of fabric in my buggy and was looking at the Christmas clearance table of fabric. This nicely groomed, middle age woman walked up to me and said "I just got these 2 cut and they haven't put them back out here if you're interested."
Then she pointed at my buggy and said "What are you making with those?"
I told her I didn't know. She said "Oh, you're one of THOSE!"
She walked around to the other side of the table and said "What are you going to do with all that fabric when you die?" Then she said "I'm donating mine to the seniors that sew. I haven't put it in writing yet, but that's what I'm going to do."
Here comes the wierd part -- I was walking down the center aisle, and she was standing in one the short aisles, and when I passed, she said "Humph, she's got 2 bolts of fabric and doesn't even know what she's going to do with it!"
OMG - what a wack-o! I told the ladies at the cutting counter when I finally went up there, with many more than 2 bolts! - and they were shocked. Told me I should have come to one of them when it happened. Said they don't people in there like that making their customers uncomfortable.
Makes me wanna go running back in there! lol
Carol B
In all the replies, not one person has caught onto the wonderful customer service Hancock's has! They actually told her that they don't want customers making other customers uncomfortable. That is awesome!

This is all water under the bridge now, with some insights I had not thought of before and will make me look at situations differently in the future.

Very glad all is well now! :thumbup:
Old 01-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
I guess you could have told her you were getting it to wrap your husband's mummified body...so you could keep him on display and he'd be pretty!
Okay you made my day.....that is SOOOO funny. Would have liked to see the look on her face.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:19 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

It is only my opinion, but I think a person is wound way too tight and uncomfortable in their own skin when what a person they do not know comments positively/negatively on a perceived action causes them 1. anxiety 2. to lash out 3. to even think about it after the fact. You know yourself, you do not know the stresses, relationships or physical/mental condition of a passing person..cut them some slack..someday it could be you or someone you love or care for...just saying....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
I would have probably said the last time you encountered her in the aisle you decided you were going to shred them in small strips and use it to stuff your dogs bed, and that if she would provide you with her address, you would"will" the dogs bed to her. What an old biddy!
Just handle people with a sense of humor...you have given many of us a giggle today....