Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother machine reviews please.... >

Brother machine reviews please....

Brother machine reviews please....

Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 PM

Oh and that's a really cool quilt by the way!!
Old 06-04-2014, 12:24 PM

I have a brother SQ9050...couldn't love it more!!! So easy to use..tons of great features..you don't have to pull the bobbin thread up through the top before you start sewing..(great time saver), auto needle threader!!(great for older eyes)...built in fonts, and my favorite is the speed adjuster...if something happened to this machine today, I would go right out and buy another one.
I bought 2 singers right before this, and brought them both back...very cheaply made and had terrible tension issues on both models...love my brother!!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 PM

I love Brother machines and have more than one, from a $200 walmart to TOL dealer machine, all great. Advantage with a delaer is lessons, service. advantage with one from a big box store is the return policy if by chance you get a lemon or just don't like it. The same models are not sold by dealers that are in big box stores but they can be very similar. I once wrote to brother to ask if there was an internal difference on similar models sold in discount stores or sold by dealers, they replied that the insides were the same.
Another dealer advantage though is the opportunity to buy a lower cost machine that has been traded in for an upgraded model. On a used machine you would get more features for the same amount of money that a new machine would cost.
If it were me my first stop would be a dealer to check put the used machines, I've gotten great machines that way.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
I have the Janome dc2010.. not a very spendy machine but no trouble after close to 4 years of abuse from a newbie. From the looks of the picture she has great style and imagination. Good luck on your pur base!!
terri bb I also have a Janome DC2010 and I really like it.!!! Before the Janome I had a Baby Lock which had been reconditioned, had embroidery doo dads. I was a newbie at sewing, the price was right with the Baby Lock and I had ideas of doing all this embroidery. It was more machine than I needed at the time and all the doo dads went unused. Sold it to someone who wanted to do all that extra stuff. She loves it. I went and bought my Janome...easy peasy machine, very good quality. Yes, on the spendy side, but after the Baby Lock I was spoiled.
If I ever graduate to more bells and whistles I'll go to the Baby Lock again. A really smooth machine, really smooth sewing. Not out of reach to buy extras as the Berninas. Enjoy your DC2010...I think we made a good choice for what our sewing needs were!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:12 PM

I have about brother SQ9050 that my son got me, I actually love it! Does great free motion too. I usually prefer the vintage machines so this really surprised me.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:33 PM

Quilt is beautiful! You can't go wrong with a Brother machine.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boston1954 View Post
I have the Brother SQ9000. It will be 4 years old next month and has NEVER had to go to the shop. It has loads of attachments, and 80 stitches. I am very happy with this and can recommend it to anyone. Jim only had to pay $199 at Walmart.

I have this machine also, and have sewn I don't know how many quilts on it. I also have the PQ1500s that I have had for almost a year. I picked it up on Craig's List for $400. Love my Brother machines!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:11 AM

Great pictures. I started out with 1500 and traded for 2500. Works wonderful. Brother makes a great machine
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by llong0233 View Post
For availability (Walmart carries them), price ($100-$150) and durability the Brother CS1000i is the machine for you.
I agree with everything llong says (although I think she meant CS6000i for the model number) - I had that same machine and it was a nice little machine for the price. BUT...it's small and VERY lightweight, to the point that it scoots away from you as you sew on it; definitely need to put some shelf liner or something similarly grippy underneath!

I gave mine to my niece & nephew after they came for a visit and fell in love with sewing. How could I not? They have no trouble using that machine on their own (they are 8 & 12 years old) and have made tons of little pillows and pouches; my nephew is working on making "armor" right now, LOL.

One thing to keep in mind about these cheapie machines though...they work great and are sufficient for most purposes, but if she's going to become an obsessed quilter she will probably outgrow the little machine pretty quickly. I know I did; I made 2 quilts on it and I knew I was hooked and needed something bigger, stronger and sturdier.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM

I own three Brother machines and I love each of them. I've had no problems with them what so ever.