Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Building a Stash Question

It depends on the fabric and how much I like it. But if you happen to acquire 2 pieces of fabric, make sure to leave a light on in the room. If you leave then in the dark, they mysteriously multiply!! I make lots of scrap quilts and I can never understand how I can use enough scraps to make 3 king sized quilts and not see a dent in the stash. Please, someone tell me how this works! As for acquiring a stash, watch what you wish for because you may get more than you bargain for :-)

Quote Originally Posted by SueJ
    What an awesome idea to glue fabric samples in a notebook!
    If you save 2-1/2" scraps for quilts, I'd suggest getting a wallet photograph insert. You can put the 2-1/2" scraps in the photo plastic and, when you don't want to match it anymore, you can take it out and put it in your scrap bin. It also allows you to take the fabric out and feel the weight, etc., when you compare to fabric in the quilt shop.

Here's something on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/3-NEW-CREDIT-CAR...QQcmdZViewItem

I buy a lot of WOW and COC. I buy both of them by the bolt (10 to 15 yards). I just checked and I have 6 bolts in my fabric cupboard of just WOW and COC.

I rarely buy specific fabric for a specific quilt, which is odd I guess. I go to my stash which is an accumulation of fabric bought just because I love it, AND the price was really good! I like to buy a minimum of 2 -3 yards and more if I can. My stash isn't huge, but it seems I can always put together just what I like for almost anything I'm making. You will find out what works for you ... it's an interesting and fun process :)

If I really LOVE the fabric, I buy as much as I can afford, if I just like it a lot, I just buy 3 or 4 yards, which is probably why I have a pretty good sized stash. LOL

I used to buy 1/2 to 1 yard but now I buy the whole bolt or atleast 6 yards. I found I have a pile of FAt Quarters and no backing or borders for quilts.

If it is something I really like I usually buy 3 to 4 years otherwise I usually buy 2 to 3 yards.

If it is at a garage sale then I buy all the cottons I can afford. At the quilt shop, JoAnns and Connecting Threads I try to buy at least 2 yards.

If you really love the fabric and want to make it a major part of a quilt I would get at least 2 yards, maybe 3.

This is what I do......if I love the fabric I will buy 4 yards. If I like it I buy 2 yards. If it is cute, I buy 1 yard. Good luck :-D

lue
    I have no rules but generally buy 2 yards (I generally use a sheet for backing that I get at Goodwill). Today I bought burgundy paisleys to make a log cabin at my quilt retreat. If I run out of fabrics, I'll make a border of a solid fabric. I spotted batiks on this website for $6 per yard and beautiful 100% cotton fabrics for $4.50 so I may buy more at those prices.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by countrycottage
    Now that explains it all. I just KNEW I didn't buy all that fabric; it's been out there multiplying like rabbits when I wasn't around.
    So that's how I got so much fabric!

I purchase mine like many already mentioned on the topic. If I love it I buy sometimes 4-6 yards...and if I like it 2-3. I have found way too many times I didn't purchase enough for a particular pattern and also found it worked great in others. I am one who would rather have extra than be too short of something. Another thing is there are so many variations of colors that one can't have enough of the different shades of fabrics. At today's prices and the fact that the prices are constantly going up all the time when I find a good sale I get what I can so I don't have to worry in the future about paying way more than I would want. I truly don't need any more fabrics other than ones that would blend or add that wow factor. However when something just jumps outs to me I can't let it go and get what I want. I just figure after I'm done (and will have to live into another lifetime) and have so many leftovers I'll have great crazy/scrappy quilts to make.

I buy three yards and then usually find it's not enough because of the way I want to use it.

Sandy

Anna, You're my kind of woman.

Sandy

whenever i purchase a large amount for a particular project.. like a jacket.. i get an extra 1/2 yd.. just so i have it if i want a little later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2