Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Building up a stash from nothing

I started out buying FQ's, I still have those original FQ's. I never use them, guess I am one of those quilters that don't know what to do with them. I saw a episode on Simply quilts that said if she is buying for stash, then she never buys less than 3 yrds, thats how I buy. 3+ yrds at least. But I too am thrifty when it comes to buying, I usually buy not because I love it, but because I like it and its on sale. Good luck.

Also a newbie here, I sew for my granddaughter and thus I am the "Seamstress to the Princess." At 6 she already has definite opinions of material, patterns, etc. My stash began with her request for a Thanksgiving dress. I am blessed to have a friend who told me right away the method in luvTooQuilt's comments. Go for it and have fun!!

Blog Entries
    My stash is gigantic. I buy prints that catch my eye on sale at Walmart and use those fabulous coupons for Joann. But the biggest part comes from estate sales. You never know what you're going to find.

I love finding those swatch sample books and just made a quilt for my niece using odd paisley bits. The sash has random embroidered phrases -- the first use of my new babylock. Unfortunately the sash puckered a bit. C'est la vie! I'm a haphazard quilter and she loved it.

Here are a few photos. It is brown dominant, but no matter how I photographed it, all the other colors seemed to pop.
    http://www.catholichomeandgarden.com...nd_friends.htm

Quote Originally Posted by winterpromise31
    Hello! Newbie here. So far, I have only bought fabric on an "as needed" basis. As such, I have no stash! I've been looking through some of the pictures posted around the forums and admire the piles of fabric some of you have at home. :D

How would I go about starting a stash? My hubby is actually encouraging me to buy extra fabric, the sweetheart. I am very lucky. How much should you buy if you don't know what you'll be doing with it? Fat quarters? A yard? More?

Help! Such a dilemma to have! hehe
    A good place to start is yard sales, thrift stores (I have found some excellent fabric there) and I usually buy 1 to 2 yards at a time.

Make sure it isn't too thin tho.

Blog Entries
    I tend to buy the following:

fat quarters ( I like to blend lots of them when making blocks or scrappy quilts)

Half Yard pieces (fabrics I want more than a fat quarter of but can't afford lots of)

1 yd pieces (fabrics that are a great price but a novelty print)

2-5 yd pieces (solids, linen blends, shot cottons, etc.) Anything that could be used for sashing, setting triangles background etc.

10 yd or more bolts muslin, both bleached and unbleached.

I also buy vintage bed linens (flat sheets) from thrift stores to back my quilts with. Lots of fun picking the perfect one for a quilt and very economical :)

I also love to pick up charm packs and jelly rolls and kits on sale for those times when I want a quick project for a gift or charity.

I am fairly new and have the same problem. I told my friends they should have a fabric shower for new quilters.
    Good Luck!!!

If I see a fabric that I really like or a novelty that I might use for a particular image on it I will get a fat quarter. If I LOVE it I will get at least a yard.

I usually buy about 2 yes more than the pattern calls for and build my stash that way. If I see fabric that I really like I will buy 2-3yds of it for later use.

Welcome......just keep buying as you go and before you know it....you will have a scrap stash!

I'm not a good one for this area of quilting, I buy fabric for quilts and then some. I have to ( NEED TO ) go into a fabric store at least once a week. In fact I was at Joann's this past saturday looking for fabric for a quilted hand bag. I bought the fabric I need along with a couple of yards from other bolts, with no idea of what I will make with the extra fabric.

I buy at least 3 yds if I just want it ,no project in mind. If I need it for a quilt I try to buy 5 to 6 yds.

Wow! I am glad to know that I am not the only one that does not have a stash. Without some sort of plan for buying fabrics I can see myself spending a lot and still not having what I need. I appreciate all the really great advice from everyone. Thank you for asking the question.
    Brenda

also for a stash go to yard/garage sales and can get fabric from there for your stash I always look for fabric while garage saling lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NANAOF2BOYS
    also for a stash go to yard/garage sales and can get fabric from there for your stash I always look for fabric while garage saling lol
    I also go to yard sales and thrift stores. I very rarely buy new fabric. I usually use those coupons for batting. I also use sheets for backing. Nanaof2boys what kind of cat is that? I have one that looks just like it. Mine is a ragdoll.

Power Poster
    Welcome from WI

I've found that collecting fabric is probably my favorite part of quilting. A family friend was putting his mother in a nursing home, and she had been a fabric collector her entire life. She kept it in great condition. When he had to go through her fabric room, he called me and my sister in law (also a quilter) and asked us if we'd like to come and take WHATEVER WE WANTED!!!! He wouldn't accept money, he just wanted it to be used. I'd died and gone to heaven. We're talking ROOMS full of fabric!! We lived in a teeny tiny apt at the time, so I only took as much as I could squeeze into our closet. Now that I have an entire craft room all my own, I tell my husband, "I wish I could've grabbed more!" But that was how I started my stash. People have already mentioned it, but collecting fat quarters and eights is a good start to any stash. It's inexpensive, and sometimes they'll go on clearance at Joann's for like $.99 for each, and I'll just buy and buy and buy. Even ones I don't think of as being my style, I know I'll use someday in a scrap quilt.

If you love it, buy 3 yds. However, you will acquire a large stash soon enough and then will complain that you have too much. I wouldn't worry about building a stash, it will build on its own.

I check the remnant bins first for bits of this and that. Amazing how often you find the "perfect" piece in there. Then when at least 50% off, I may buy the whole bolt if it is for a quilt I am working on. I also get the bolt of basics like beige, white, black, etc, that you can always be used for something.

I also tend to have "periods." I have gone through my fleece period, quilted double sided period and am now entering my quilting period. About to finish my first quilted wall hanging and working on first king size quilt.

Ditto to the remnant bin idea. I made my son's quilted Christmas stocking entirely out of remnant bin finds post-Christmas.

When ever I was buying fabric for a project I always bought a little more of each color. Back grounds and basics are a good way to start too. Diane C.

I had been buying a metre here and there and the occasional FQ (but consider these to be an expensive way to buy fabric really) but in recent months I decided this was not the way to go for me personally as I may not be able to match up what I have in stash for something I would like to make so have now started buying with a project a mind. Buy the amount of fabric needed or thought to be needed and put it altogether with a note saying what I have in mind for the fabric and where the pattern is kept (if I intend using a pattern)Using this method I also buy about 1/4 to 1/2 metre more than I need of the fabric for those just in case moments. Am sure to build up my stash this way. Seems to be working for me.

Maybe1day

Start by looking for sales, yard sales, thrift stores, etc.
    I buy what hits me at the time I am looking at it. If it is
    something that I really like I get a 1 or 2 yards. I have fat
    quarters, pkgs of precut squares, different sizes.

I rarely bought fabric "just because I like it", but always for a specific project. Then a year ago I inherited a stash and now people give me fabric all of the time!! Now I have a huge stash!! Someone told me that if you like it, buy a yard, love it, 1 1/2, can't live without it, 3 yards. YOu will find that if you just buy fat quarters, you will find that you may not find it again if you want more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by christinetindell
    Someone told me that if you like it, buy a yard, love it, 1 1/2, can't live without it, 3 yards.
    Haha I have a beginner's book written by Carol Doak where she says something along those very same lines. It's great advise!

My problem is that if it's on sale, and I mean getting nice quilt quality fabric for $3 or $4 a yard, then I buy what's left on the bolt and usually get 2 or 3 yards. I have a pretty substantial stash of stuff along with scraps from other jobs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast