Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Building up a stash from nothing

I am a newbie also and have a very little stash that is growing with sales. My current love is batiks and I think of them more as blenders depending on the "prints" on them. I try to buy 1-3 yards when I am stashing. more toward the three yards is better. But then again I don't do large quilts yet. I also try to use at least one of the fabrics from my stash for every quilt. unless I have nothing that "looks" like the recipient. have one of those that I am working on collecting now for my MIL. getting ready to also start two quilts. one for my dd and one for a new niece that will be born at the end of summer. dd's will be partly from my "stash" that I have been collecting specifically for her quilt and the baby blanket will be totally from my stash. have a FQ set that I have been wanting to use for a while but haven't had a good reason to use it.

I buy almost all of my stuff from sales now. There are so many people who want to get rid of fabric.
    Judy

I usually buy at least a half yard, although I do buy quarter yards also. I usually buy as much as I can afford, and I don't buy any if it's not on sale or I don't have a coupon. I've also bought fabric, clothes, sheets, etc., at thrift stores, auctions and yard sales.

When I began I bought for quilts that I wanted . I have a stash now because Iwant to do scrappies. One thing Ilove to do is to buy the rolled up remnants ..any size they ar 50%off. I really dont think of the size of them. One month I would search for only one color til I had enough for some order in the scrappy. then on to another color. 40 years later voila..a colorful stash.

you will get there sooner than you think. have fun.

I've been quilting for a year and from my experience so far, it totally depends on what quilts you like to make.

I started out buying fat quarters, but found they tend to be too small for what I like to do with a color. So I started buying yardage - and am finding that more than a yard is usually too much for my uses. If I need more for a border or backing fabric, I prefer to buy it as needed to make sure I'm happy with the match. Sooo.... at the moment I'd tend to buy a yard or so.

I've always gone for the fabrics I loved, and that turns out to have been a good decision. There are a few in my stash that I bought because I thought they'd "go with everything" (neutrals...) and hey - I'm not using them.
    I'm just not a traditional quilter and not big on neutrals. I've now sorted those "sensible-but-uninspiring" (for me) fabrics into their own stack, and might use them for dyeing and painting on once I get around to that.

So... sorry for the novel, it's just in case any of this helps you think! :D What I'd most like to recommend is, trust yourself. Buy what you love, experiment, find out what's best for how you like to create.

I like scrappy quilts, so I go for half yards or even fat quarters.

my standard buy is 3 yards.

if the price is great or i really love it i buy 6 or more yards.

i just bought a couple of bolts the other day because the price was right and i know i'll use it all up.

Senior Member Claddaughquilting's Avatar
    My motto:
    If you like it, buy 1 yard
    If you love it, buy 3 yards
    If you can't live without it, buy 5 yards

but only if on sale!! I also buy the scrap packs at the LQS, and remnants from on-line fabric sites.

If I am close to finishing a bolt, I always take it all.

I have already identified the lucky recipient of my stash in my will....If I ever start to feel guilty about the quantity, I take the oldest (and not my favorites) and give it away to the guild to make charity quilts....eases my conscience...

I started by getting fat quarter as gifts. Then as I was out i started buying more fabrics of what would go with those flat quarters. I alway by at least a yard and if I really like it 3 yards. If I see something on sale that I really like, I will buy the rest of the fabric on the bolt. That works great for backing.

Wow! You guys are awesome. :D Thanks for all the responses. There are definitely a few things here to think about.

Since I'm still new, I don't really know which kind of quilts I prefer. I do know I want to try something more complex than 9-patch. I will have made four quilts as gifts before I make the first for me to keep, and I know that one will be a mystery/sampler quilt (I think queen sized). So I guess I'll keep buying fabric as needed for now unless I find an awesome sale on something I love! Maybe after a couple more quilts, I'll have a better idea of what I want to do in the future and will thus be able to buy fabric in advance.

Thanks again for all of your help!

A
    Welcome to the fun board of 'quilt nuts!' You asked how much fabric to purchase? I would purchase no less than 3.5 yards for the background fabric (based on a double bed quilt) the if you have 4 fabrics total: 2 yds. of the next must used fabric; & 1.5 of each of the rest. Of course; you just gotta get some other fabrics too if you maybe 'need' them! I find that if you buy a little here, a little there, great way for building! You will find that you have some fabrics left over too after making a quilt! NEVER throw out any that is at least 1/8 yard.

BUY when there are good sales - build using COLOR! Colors you love & cannot do without. Always get minimum of 1 yd. You are so lucky to have a suportive husband!

I buy fabric that calls to me. Usually three yards at a time. When I buy for a project I always add a yard to what the pattern calls for. I just spent a day sorting and organizing fabric and was shocked at how big my stash has become.

I am fairly new to quilting too, and I started off buying one yard. I learned fairly quickly that a yard is not enough for what I want to do. I usually want a border or binding made of one of the fabrics in my quilt top. One yard doesn't allow for that, or at least it doesn't for me. I now buy a yard and a half or two yards.

So far this has worked well for me.

My stash recently grew at a Hancock;s sale. The sale is still one, if you have one nearby. Most of what I bought was 40% off.

Stash it! Prices going up up up!

I too am fairly new to quilting. My current stash fits into one teeny little bag! I tend to buy fat quarters because fabric in UK is so expensive. I don't want to lash out on something I may never get around to using. I usually wait till I have a project in mind before going fabric shopping. That said, I sometimes get a bit hysterical when I reach the quilting shop!

A
    Every place I go for news predicts that fabric is going up 30%+ within this year. That does not include what it has ALREADY gone up this year. If one can - build stash now AND also use those backs of shirts too - they are great for little needed pieces. If prices continue to rise, us oldies with TOO much fabric must share with our new lil' quilting friends!

Blog Entries
    The very first quilt book I bought was Carol Doak's "Your First Quilt Book" (or it should be) Her advice in there:
    "If you like it, buy a yard
    If you really like it, buy 2 yards
    If you can't live without it, buy as much as your budget can afford"
    I buy fat quarters, but mostly I buy a yard at a time. I can almost always put enough complimentaryfabric to gether for a baby blanket or some other quick project. However, most the quilts I make are baby or lap robe sizes, so this is working so far.

Blog Entries
    Be careful what you wish for. Stash can take over and if you don't have the space and you don't like scrappy quilts then it can become a hinderance. That said, when I first started, I always bought a little extra for the projects that I was actually working on. Then I started buying fabric "just because." DH thought for the longest time that fabric HAD to be bought in full yard increments, starting with 1 yard. lol.

I have now become "full up" in my stash containers and have to be extremely frugal (self-imposed).

Some people make a swatch book of their stash and take that with them to the fabric store so they can match and supplement. Others just buy what suits their fancy.

Anything from 1 yard of a panel size to 5 1/2 yards for a potential backing (or more). Trust me, if you want to grow your stash - every Fat Quarter helps.

This has been a very interesting thread. I think a stash builds itself, at least mine did. I got the quilting fever in 2004; started off buying 1/4 yard pieces. That didn't last long. I still only buy 1 yard pieces; but, that's because of finaancial issues. I only buy on sale, unless I'm buying from my local QS; never find fabrics on sale there. However, I don't use only QSQ, though I don't use thin or see-thru. Oh, my stash was increased greatly when I inherited my mother's large stash. Took me months to give away all her double knit; I still find a piece here or there, lol.
    My advice is similar to the previous posts. Buy at least a yard when on sale; mostly blenders and tonals. and have fun!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I'm not helping probably b/c I buy whatever appeals to me!
    I do go for sales though, rarely pay full price!
    The internet has made it much worse for my fabric addiction lol
    Welcome!!!!!!!!! :D:D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn
    I can't help because I buy anything! anytime! and if I'd actually sew more then I wouldn't have a whole house full of fabric. So if you have enough to do what you want when you want, the rest will just come in time, I think :)
    I recently bought material to do a simple quilt (i am a beginner) and after getting what I needed I was looking around and saw a beautiful yellow tone on tone. Luckily it was on sale because I got 3 yds. Have no idea where I will use it. But it just screamed at me to buy it. LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by winterpromise31
    Wow! You guys are awesome. :D Thanks for all the responses. There are definitely a few things here to think about.

Since I'm still new, I don't really know which kind of quilts I prefer. I do know I want to try something more complex than 9-patch. I will have made four quilts as gifts before I make the first for me to keep, and I know that one will be a mystery/sampler quilt (I think queen sized). So I guess I'll keep buying fabric as needed for now unless I find an awesome sale on something I love! Maybe after a couple more quilts, I'll have a better idea of what I want to do in the future and will thus be able to buy fabric in advance.

Thanks again for all of your help!
    I am trying one called Easy beginner's rail fence. Is all strips.check it out...www.victorianaquiltdesigns.com

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I just re-read this entire thread and you have tons of great ideas!!
    I realize also that I need a stash for inspiration. It's amazing what can happen when I'm just playing around with my fabric :D:D

Blog Entries
    Since I only purchase fabric I really like for specific projects, I purchase at least 2 -3 yards. Also, I select other fabrics I like and purchase a couple of yards for my stash at the same time. As my stash builds I purchase colors I am missing. Currently I am adding browns and backgrounds in colors other than white, adding prints.

While I don't particularly like pastels, for our guild challenge project this year I have pastels, so on a recent roadtrip I actually found several I liked and purchased extra for my stash.

No matter how big my stash is, I always find several new pieces to add to it. Once you start, it will be easier. It is alot like eating potato chips.

I'm a fairly new quilter myself and when I started stash building, I'd get fat quarters or a yard. I quickly found out that that is not enough unless you plan on making scrappy quilts. So now, I buy at least 2 yards. If I'm buying a lot of coordinating fabrics and intend to use them together, I might get 1 yard, but most often I buy 2. I usually buy fabric with intentions to use it together or for a specific project, but I rarely have an actual pattern in mind, therefore I rarely know how much I need of each fabric, and I've found a couple of times that I would much rather have too much than not enough. So far in my experience, having two yards of each fabric in my "plan" gives me plenty. Also, I don't often buy big print fabrics unless I'm buying for a specific project. I stick to blenders and neutrals for the most part and buy prints on an "as needed" basis.

I usually use bed sheets (most often flannel) for backing, so I don't often buy yardage to back my quilts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast