Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bummed about my CL purchase:< >

Bummed about my CL purchase:<

Bummed about my CL purchase:<

Old 07-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by pennijanine
I clean my machine thoroughly after each project. I don't tighten the screws so tight that I can't get them out again. Did that one time!! Everytime I change the bobbin, I brush out all the lint. I have four of these machines and I love everyone of them. Wish I had known that you wanted one. I think I saw the ad you bought from, is it a tan machine?
Yes, the long bed tan one. Do you use a special screw driver or something?? They're at such a weird angle it's really hard to get them in and out!
Thanks, I look for one the next time I go!

You can go to Lowe's and find a screw driver that is bent at each end. There will be flathead and a phillips head end. I use mine all the time to get screws out of my sewing machine that can't be reached with other drivers no matter how small. Just go in to the tool department and act like a helpless woman and the clerk will get you to the right tool. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the tool--it has one--right now. froggyintexas
Old 07-24-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by pennijanine
Uses the same bobbins as the featherweight, too. Did it come with a walking foot? Or any other goodies?

Penni, it came with an assortment of feet that I'll never use, but I guess they're handy. Maybe 5 of them? And it came with the buttonhole foot, which now I have two of and will never use. The case came with it, but it's in poor condition. Luckily the foot control and cords are just fine. I am having problems lowering the feed dogs. The screw to lower them seems to be a bit stuck. So, I'm oiling it and working on that. If this seller actually ever used the machine she never lowered the feed dogs.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by piepatch
I am sorry you were mislead, but if your 301 is in good working order, other than the bobbin case, I think it is still a good buy. I am surprised you can get a bobbin case for that machine for $ 35.00. I would have thought more. I don't have the 301 but have heard it is a good machine. I have the 401, and it is a work horse.
Yes, but that price is for a reproduction. The original ones are more. Which is close to the price of another machine.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 AM

Try a little WD40 (2 or 3 drops) applied to the screw heads a let sit for an hour. Once you get them off they shouldn't need to be screwed in tight, they don't, after all, hold the machine together. If the screws appear worn you can get replacements.
Penni, I noticed the screws at the feed dog plate are a bear to get in and out!! And you have to get the plated seated just so or it will make some noise. I got it worked out, but I'm not looking forward to cleaning this area regularly. I worry about stripping the screws??
Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM

It should say simanco on it. I think it stands for SIngerMANufacturingCOmpany.
Good idea, we do have a local place. How do I know if the bobbin case is an original part or not?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
Try a little WD40 (2 or 3 drops) applied to the screw heads a let sit for an hour. Once you get them off they shouldn't need to be screwed in tight, they don't, after all, hold the machine together. If the screws appear worn you can get replacements.
Penni, I noticed the screws at the feed dog plate are a bear to get in and out!! And you have to get the plated seated just so or it will make some noise. I got it worked out, but I'm not looking forward to cleaning this area regularly. I worry about stripping the screws??

Thanks, but the screws aren't stuck, just very hard to reach and turn properly.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
It should say simanco on it. I think it stands for SIngerMANufacturingCOmpany.
Good idea, we do have a local place. How do I know if the bobbin case is an original part or not?

Thanks. Good to know!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:16 AM

I have another question. The "feet" on the bottom of my machine are like a filled in epoxy. I thought they were supposed to be like rubber donuts? I see replacements for them on sale via ebay. I'm thinking a prior owner didn't want to keep replacing them and filled in the feet area with some concoction? It is easy to scratch it out, if I want to do that. Just wondering if this was a common thing to do?
Old 07-24-2011, 08:20 AM

Buyer beware. Always check and double check everything before you hand over the bucks!
Old 07-24-2011, 08:21 AM

It is still worth the money, and you will love it when complete.
Enjoy!