Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bummed about my CL purchase:< >

Bummed about my CL purchase:<

Bummed about my CL purchase:<

Old 07-24-2011, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Buyer beware. Always check and double check everything before you hand over the bucks!
Yes, but that's very hard to do in a parking lot with no electricity to test it or good light to see by. :
Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM

I have 4 bobbin cases and 2 301's. 2 are original and 2 are reproductions.I got the reproduction cases with one of the 301's that I bought. The reproduction cases work fine in either one of my machines. They have Japan stamped in them followed by what looks like a tiny y with a circle around the Y. I also just recently bought a 10 pk of bobbins that were not original but they work fine. They have no markings on them but I bought those from a Singer Sewing Centre (yep they still do have some) so I felt pretty confident that they would be fine.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:27 AM

What a bummer and I hope that she contacts you that she just forgot the part.
I hope everyone who reads your story or hears about it from you learns from your hard learned lesson. YOU have to be really careful when buying from anyone selling second hand, from the newspaper, Craigslist, EBay, etc. I work in a call center for a major corporation and I can't tell you how many times someone calls up tells me that they purchased one of our products from Craigslist or Ebay and it's not working properly or missing something. A lot of times the real owner has already called in and reported their registered product as stolen.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Our local Goodwill store had an industrial machine for sale a couple of years ago, that I helped a friend shop for and buy.

The store manager had actually kept the bobbin case separately stored in a secure place, apart from the machine, because this piece could have so easily been taken out and stolen by shoppers.

I would never have thought about the possibility of someone swiping the bobbin case, but it makes sense that it could happen.

(Obviously the purchaser of the machine was given the bobbin case.)
Old 07-24-2011, 08:32 AM

The little rubber feet after many years just go mushy and then hard. You can clean that out and purchase new ones to replace them. I've done that with an old Featherweight. You'll like the 301 once you get up and running. I really enjoy mine. It's a black longbed that I purchased from my local dealer. I feel your pain buying off CL of eBay and having things missing. The bobbin case probably found its way to eBay for the "big bucks":(
Old 07-24-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by oldhag
I have 4 bobbin cases and 2 301's. 2 are original and 2 are reproductions.I got the reproduction cases with one of the 301's that I bought. The reproduction cases work fine in either one of my machines. They have Japan stamped in them followed by what looks like a tiny y with a circle around the Y. I also just recently bought a 10 pk of bobbins that were not original but they work fine. They have no markings on them but I bought those from a Singer Sewing Centre (yep they still do have some) so I felt pretty confident that they would be fine.
Glad to hear this about the repro. cases.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:46 AM

If Billy doesn't have any for you , try Jenny ant Sew Classic as I know she tests them out.
Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 AM

that is terrible, hopefully it was just an oversite by the seller, but I don't see why she would of taken out the bobbin.. Folks like that usually get what the give. We quilters know that most quilters are very honest upfront people. Sorry that happened to you, hard way to learn about some folks
Old 07-24-2011, 08:57 AM

OMG. I e-mailed the seller again this morning and received this...

"No he riped u off, he wasn't going to look for u in the first place. I'm no longer with him anymore but here is his number xxxxxxxxx u can text him. The sewing machine wasn't his in the first place, its his moms and he sold it to u when she was in the hospital. Please don't email me anymore. Thanks."

So, the seller stole it from his mother and sold it to me. I'm so sad for his mother. And this guy was very nice to me, shook my hand, told me if I had any problems with it to contact him. etc. etc. This is a big lesson learned for me about how disgusting people are!

I e-mailed the girlfriend back and told her I wouldn't be contacting her again. But, that if the mother wants her machine back she can e-mail me about it. Just terrible...
Old 07-24-2011, 09:13 AM

Oh no! I'm looking for a 301 and will be sure to check the bobbin case. I don't know if it will make you feel better but I've been watching prices and still think you got a good deal, even with having to buy a bobbin case for it. Please let us know if the seller calls you back. NEVER MIND! I just read your last post. What a shameful excuse for a son that guy is... with his mom in the hospital no less! Now what do you do with the machine knowing it was stolen???