Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Buy or Not to Buy an Accuquilt Go? >

To Buy or Not to Buy an Accuquilt Go?

To Buy or Not to Buy an Accuquilt Go?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by coopah View Post
I don't have this tool, but wondered if it wasted fabric? Or does it actually save fabric? There must be some precutting involved...or not.
There is very little waste if you precut. I add about half an inch to the width of the cutting portion of the die, so have mostly just narrow strings left over. Some people roll excess fabric through, off to the side of the die. I haven't tried that yet but might in the future, as I do not like precutting fabric for the strip dies.

A lot depends on the type of quilts you want to make. I am currently working on strip type quilts, and the June Tailor shape cut works better than the Go for me when it comes to cutting strips. However, if you want to make a double wedding ring quilt, an apple core quilt, a Sunbonnet Sue fusible, or a quilt with lots of triangles or hexagons, the Go can make the cutting for such a quilt much easier.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
There is very little waste if you precut. I add about half an inch to the width of the cutting portion of the die, so have mostly just narrow strings left over. Some people roll excess fabric through, off to the side of the die. I haven't tried that yet but might in the future, as I do not like precutting fabric for the strip dies.

A lot depends on the type of quilts you want to make. I am currently working on strip type quilts, and the June Tailor shape cut works better than the Go for me when it comes to cutting strips. However, if you want to make a double wedding ring quilt, an apple core quilt, a Sunbonnet Sue fusible, or a quilt with lots of triangles or hexagons, the Go can make the cutting for such a quilt much easier.
Lets talk percentages, if you add 1/2 inch (the bare minimum) to all 4 sides of a 2 inch square, you are wasting 1inch of fabric on a 2 inch square. Doesnt sound like much until you start adding up for a big quilt. I found I was using 25% more fabric as a rule, and on expensive fabric, that is way too much.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:54 AM

this has been talked about dozens of times. I have one, love it, if I had to decide again I would get it. I have never regretted getting it. And yes I still use my rotary cutter and rulers and mats.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:52 PM

OK. Thanks for the help. I have the Alto cutting system and haven't used it for two years. Guess it's time to refresh myself on that. I do see the advantage to having the dies for applique. Right now, I'm working on a double wedding ring and had that laser cut which was expensive, but accurate. I love the Board, because there's so much experience and you take time to answer and share your experiences and knowledge. Thanks!

Last edited by coopah; 05-12-2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old 05-12-2012, 02:04 PM

I had one and never used it so I sold it,dont miss it.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:16 PM

I am trying to make the same choice. One day I am ready to buy it and then I talk myself out of it.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

Maybe the point is - some tools work better for some things than others. It seems to me - without having a die cutter - that for some things it would be a lot more efficient - for other things, that rotary cutter would still be more effecient - and - gasp - once in a while, scissors are still useful?

Example: I have several kitchen knives. I have one that I use the most - and several I use 'occasionally'
Old 05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
Lets talk percentages, if you add 1/2 inch (the bare minimum) to all 4 sides of a 2 inch square, you are wasting 1inch of fabric on a 2 inch square. Doesnt sound like much until you start adding up for a big quilt. I found I was using 25% more fabric as a rule, and on expensive fabric, that is way too much.
Your percentage works only if you are cutting one 2-inch square at a time. I have never used my Go in that way. When cutting strips, squares and triangles, I found the waste to be very similar to that for rotary cutting.

For example, the 2.5" strip die cuts 3 strips at a time. By pre-cutting my fabric 8" wide, I have (1/2"x42") total waste on 3*(2.5"x 42") cut fabric strips, or 21 square inches of waste for every 315 square inches of useable jelly roll strips. This is about 6.5% waste.

All of the dies that make multiple geometric cuts have a similar waste percentage, making The Go very comparable to rotary cutting in terms of fabric waste. I don't think most people would use the Go if they were getting 25% fabric waste on all their cuts!
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
I love my go.. ( i actually have two- long story..)
I use it ALOT.. and its a great scrap user-upper!!!
IMHO the dies are not that expensive.. it just depends on the ones you want and if you can 'wait' for it to go on sale..
I have almost all the dies.. Hubby gets them for me for my birthday, mothers day and all the other holidays.. For my last birthday ( i think it was my birthday) he got me 4 of each size cutting mats for the go.. ( little did he know i already had a set or two of each so now I have back ups to the back up to the back up- as I go thru them very quickly anyway..
For some Its a learning curve to use it to minimize your scrap waste.. So dont get discouraged..

My favorite dies are:
2x2
2.5x2.5
Bricks
Tumblers - both small and large
Rags- all of them are great !!
9 in hex
Chisel
Apple core

And ones Im glad i have 'cause id hate to cut them by hand are:
DWR
Blazing star
Sue & Sam

I have the strips but its easier and faster for me to to rotary cut ?? by WOF - but its a breeze when im cutting scraps into strips- saves time..

* Desden & Rob Peter dies are on my wish list..

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Go..
This looks like a good check list to me! Think I'll just start at the top and work on down. Thanks for the info!!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:38 AM

We can argue this topic to death regarding waste and such no matter what tool we may decide to use to cut with.

Personally I would not be quilting today if it were not for these type machines. For a person who has mobility issues in there hands and arms an Accuquilt Go or similar die cutting machine is so worth it. As far as waste of fabric I have absolutely no waste using the GO, Studio, Westminster Pro cutting machines.

If you learn to use these machines correctly and as instructed you will have no waste of fabric. I line my fabric right to the cut line on one side and cut and repeat the process. I don't even leave 1/10th of an inch when I cut. I prefer using my Studio machine at home but I just as often use my GO if I want to cut in another room which for me is usually the dining room.

Since I am a fiber artist of sorts any left over pieces of fabric, threads and the like are used in my projects therefore no fabric is wasted ever.

Lets face it those that grew up on scissor or rotary cutting most likely will not like using a die cutting machine for the most part. Those of us who have never cut with scissors or rotary cutters or who have tried and find it cumbersome to use prefer a die cutting machine such as the GO.

I belong to a couple local quilt groups and I see all the time some waste good fabric cutting with a rotary cutter and I have also seen some do the same with a die cutting machine and its all because they have not been taught or learned how to measure and use the tools properly.

Lets face it what tools work for one may not for another or what one is comfortable with in using may not be for another.