Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Buying Too Many Quilt Books? >

Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

Buying Too Many Quilt Books?

Old 08-16-2013, 03:17 AM

Count me in on the "I love quilting books." I have them and some magazines that I have saved and I really don't want to throw them out. I have stopped buying many quilt magazines but I like so many of you just love my quilt books. I have picked up some books at the used library book sale but most through amazon but not the pricey ones.
So don't anyone feel bad about having "too many books." They are a joy and a pleasure.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:53 AM

No I am right their with you
I have books upon books and lets not start with they magazines I feel like I want them all because like you I see these projects and honestly tell myself I will make that quilt and I feel like I can never have enough but I think we will be okay. It will be a really nice collection to pass on to a family member someday if they fall head over heels in love with quilting like I have.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:54 AM

Over the years, I have picked up quite a few books. Every few years, I go through them and pull out the ones I have either "outgrown" or no longer have an interest in them. This year, I am donating the current batch to my guild's next silent auction fundraiser. As to magazines, I have subscribed to a few and have downsized down to a couple real favorites. I do love having a quilt book in my hand! However, so many quilt patterns are free online, that we may not be buying as many books as we used to in the past.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I love my collection, but we are planning to move. Have found some books that I really don't need anymore, and those have gone to the local "friends" of the library. I have a lot left, though -- many more than I will ever use. Still love having them. My dh has a collection of over 3,000 classical records, so I don't feel *too* guilty over my collection of quilting books.

It is the quilt magazines that are worse for me. I have spent countless hours going through them page by page, marking pages I want to keep, giving the "friends" magazines that don't have at least one marker in them. Not sure there is enough time in my lifetime to go through all of them! This experience has finally convinced me to stop buying magazines. I even quit looking at them when I go out, so I won't be tempted to buy another one!

When I realized that I would no longer be doing garment sewing, I packed up the magazines and some of the books to send do the local library's annual book sale.They were happy to have them. Of course I had kept some of them and now wish that I had brought those also. I suppose it's time to get another load ready for the library.

Some people bring books, magazines,and even fabrics to guild meetings. Members flock to those tables and carry them to their own sewing rooms.)
Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 AM

I simply LOVE books in general, quilting, sewing, gentle mysteries, autobiographies, educational, cookbooks, novels...love the feel...love the smell ...love the print...love the glossy colored pictures...love the paper jackets (those that have them) and nothing can replace that. I have a Kindle and a Kindle Fire...they serve a purpose but will never replace a lovely book in my hands. A book, to me, is warm and inviting...the digital equivalents are cold and unfriendly...at least to me. I like the ability to underline a word or phrase in instructional books or to highlight with a yellow marker...makes it personal. Have donated in my lifetime more than 300 books to local libraries and it's pleasing to see them on the shelves for others to use.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 AM

one of the things that has "saved" me from going broke over books is a little used book store two blocks from my house. i read, bring back, get used book credit, buy more, read bring back, get more, etc. i have amazon one click. i have more reading material than one person should see in a lifetime. i just retired, so one of the joys is getting rid of all the medical/anesthesia/nursing books i no longer use daily. and now, the quilting and cookbooks can take center stage. i'm a confirmed bookaholic--and as long as i can walk through the house, i won't have "too many" books. (and i found a rare quilting book, years ago, that i gave to a friend who was an avid quilter--it was at a library sale for a quarter. she was so excited to get it, and valued it so highly, that she wrote it into her will for a daughter who was also a quilter. library sales are our friend!) i'm with you all who read instructional books like novels. there's nothing better than a good cookbook or quilting book on a cold evening.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:31 AM

I love all books. I must have 200 quilt related books and can't seem to quit buying them. I can sit in a corner and just look at them. I'm now on the hunt for Becky Goldsmith books. She was at our quilt guild meeting last night and she does wonderful work.

Lynn
Old 08-16-2013, 05:33 AM

I too love quilt books. I like to just look through them again and again. I think that is a way to stimulate your mind and there is no computer or tablet that can replace the feel of a real book.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:46 AM

My computer and sewing machine are in separate rooms, and I save most of my quilting directions on the computer. BUT, for complicated things, look complicated to me, like bargello for instance, I buy a book
Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM

I find it so much easier to follow directions in a book than on a video tutorial. If I watch a video, I have to write down the directions anyway. I do love books.