Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all retirees >

Calling all retirees

Calling all retirees

Old 08-03-2012, 06:29 AM

I retired about 3 years ago - thought I'd have all the time in the world to sew. I find myself quilting in spurts - for days I'll be sewing away and then for days I won't go in the sewing room. My husband and I frequently ask ourselves how we ever found time to work! Right now I'm doing a lot of knitting, especially in the evenings. But, I also have parts of two quilts on the design wall with 2 more in my brain ready to start. Then there's the two I'm actually quilting right now. I agree with Sylviak - I love being retired!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 AM

Maybe that is your true rhythm! Go gang busters for a while, then leave it, then go again! Relax and enjoy!
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 AM

I've been retired for 6 yrs. If I'm going to be home for the day I try to do my housework in the morning so I can have the afternoon to quilt. On Tuesdays I go to my church for a day of quilting, on Weds. my LQS has "quilt therapy" which is also a day of quilting. I am guilty of letting things go in order to quilt. In the evening I do hand work while I watch TV or read.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 AM

I go on spurts, sometimes quilting lots of quilts, sometimes cutting standard (for me) pieces, sometimes finishing ufos. I also will sometimes read books everyday for a couple of weeks, doing very little else except what's necessary (like reading the quilting board). That's what I like about retirement, FREE WILL. I quilt more in the summer when it's too hot to be outside.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:17 AM

I got a lot more done while I was working. Seemed I planned my time better.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:23 AM

I was forced to retire very early due to disability. I find I have to schedule time to get quilting done these days. It's not that I don't want to, but I have so many other things interrupting my time. One of my more recent problems is that my sewing chair broke and all I have is a folding chair. It cuts off my circulation, so I can only sew for about 45 minutes. Got a new chair that I'm putting together today!! Hopefully back to regular sewing schedule by the weekend.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM

Like a lot of the other members, my quilting seems to go in "fits and starts". I only started quilting about 12 yrs ago, that was when I finally retired for the final time. Some days I start in the sewing room right after breakfast and stay there all day. Then there are days like today. Went out for breakfast, went over to Kohl's (dept store), went to the credit union, then grocery shopping. Got home, put grocerys away, made the pasta salad for tonights dinner, finished reading a book, started on QB, stopped for lunch, back to QB, and it's now 3:00 and I've never made it to the sewing room yet Oh well, as Scarlett said, "tommorrow is another day"
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM

I've been retired for one year, three months, and three days and enjoying every minute! I have not gotten stuck in a lot of "do-good" stuff as many retirees do, though I chaired our church yard sale in May, and do my share for various things. Nothing regular, though, as I didn't want to get into an unpaid job. Oh, but I do proofread for a local advertiser paper Tuesday mornings in exchange for ad space for the church. Mostly, though, I quilt A LOT. I've made some things for me, my butterfly quilt, and some that I will display in the September guild show. Also making things for church craft sale, which is a win-win for me. Just finishing up a chemo quilt for a friend. Have some samples in progress for a class I want to teach at our guild in the fall. I don't have the money to buy much, but using stash and buying a bit here and there as needed. We spend way too much time at various doctor appointments, etc. but maintaining the aging body has its demands, especially for DH who has various issues off and on. But I am walking almost an hour almost every morning, really early now that it's hot. I swim most days at 5pm adult swim time at town pool. And this year, for the first time in many years, I planted a small veggie garden which needs minimal tending and regular watering. I'm playing cards now and then with a group of friends, involved in book club which is mostly about the great pot luck suppers and a chance to gab with great girls. Life is SO good! Oh, and yeah, I do spend time here, but I consider it socializing and educating myself on my craft.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM

I sew when in the mood, but every day read the Board. Love it!!
Old 08-03-2012, 03:12 PM

I retired 12 years ago; but have only been quilting for the past 2 years. I usually quilt some each day. I read the Board each night, usually when I am in bed. I can't get over how much I have learned from all of you! I am so enjoying my new hobby of quilting!