Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all retirees >

Calling all retirees

Calling all retirees

Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i belong to a small group (about 15) with most (10 of the 15) retired-
our group seems to be a pretty busy group- they participate in many local activities, they pretty much do not sew/quilt at all in the summer time (between April & September) unless there is a pressing need- they are busy traveling, gardening, enjoying the outside, just busy- once September arrives everyone buckles down-
as for spending too much computer time- a few of us (i started they thought it a good idea) set timers- when i am turning on my computer i set a timer for 45 minutes- my timer has a 1minute warning beep= when that one minute beep happens i finish what ever i'm in the middle of & i shut down the computer- then i get up & go do something else-
Like the idea of the time. I spend more time than I should online - not just here but other places.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:45 AM

Retired 2 years ago and loving it. I do my best work in the morning but am busy with friends too. Sewing is always on my mind. I find my around-to-it 3 or 4 times a week. Hook up with a couple retired co-workers every week. We get one another going with small projects.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:51 AM

That timer sounds like a really good thing to do. I usually take 2 hrs every morning and with my coffee, I check emails, surf the QB do posts look at pics etc. I also have 4 games I play and that really gets my hands and fingers ready for the day because they are kinda achy in the morning (good excuse???) I also am in the middle on working on my quilting area. So I do keep kinda busy.

Pat
Old 08-04-2012, 04:56 AM

Retired last April and moved a week later to the Desert. Love our little home and my sewing room. I have made several quilts since retirement. I too had a high stress level job and couldn't wait until I could retire. DH has Parkinson's and requires help with a lot of things. Quilting is my relaxation, my escape and most of all my therapy. Retirement is everything I hoped it would be.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:02 AM

I retired a little over 18 months ago and ended up doing very little quilting, except for a couple of classes and playing with my new long arm (bought it a year ago), so I went back to work 5 months ago. Now I have done more quilting, since I went back to work then when I retired.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Just how much quilting would you say you get done in a day or week? Are you sporadic or constant? Are you guilty of spending more time on the QB than actual sewing like I do? Are you guilty of spending a fair amount of time virtual fabric shopping or at least window shopping?

Seems like it's all or nothing for me. Can't think of anything else but quilting for hours and days at a time or can't stand to look at it the next week. Obviously I haven't found my true rhythm yet, it's only been 4 months since retirement. I do tend to cut and piece in the daytime and hand quilt at night.
I have been retired for two years and I love it. I do some part of quilting everyday. Even on the days that I should be cleaning, etc. I much prefer to sew. One of these days I must take time and do some dusting but not today.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:17 AM

We have a Bee of about 10-12 active members who meet once a month to visit and enjoy sewing together. Working together always seems to be more fun. I just have to refrain from talking too much and concentrate on what I am doing. So, I usually bring something very simple to work on like hand stitching. Our oldest delightful quilter just celebrated her 90th birthday and she makes more quilts than any of the rest of the group.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 AM

Ive been retired for 12 years. Have to be in the mood to quilt so quilt alot then read alot.
Im single so housework can get done hit and miss also cooking.
My morning is scheduled. Program dvr for the day then on to the computer while having my morning 2 cups of coffee.
Then it is outside to enjoy my mountain home.
Of course my cats require attention every day and they enjoy having me outside with them in the mornings.
Im waiting on some fabric I ordered so I can finish a bedspread for my bed. All these years of quilting and have not made myself a bedspread yet. I prefer to make lap and baby quilts as they are easier to handle.
Miss the small quilting group where I lived before. Joined a Guild here but its to organized with minutes and volunteering etc. so dropped out.
Will get back to quilting soon as I have many ideas to get to. Have a nice sewing room but its a bit small with my long arm frame in it. It takes up so much room.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:51 AM

I retired 6-1/2 years ago and didn't know a thing about quilting or even threading my new machine. My BFF would come over to thread the machine or solve problems for me the first few months (she 'd always said I needed to learn to quilt).
Quilting became my favorite pastime nearly immediately. I usually spend 3-4 afternoons quilting each week. I've made about 70 quilts or more. I regularly attend the local guild, started our church's quilt group and teach new quilters techniques for quilts we make to donate to missionary ventures, and belong to a LQS BOM group that meets monthly. I'm off to that this morning!
What would I do if I hadn't begun quilting in retirement? I cannot imagine!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM

ckcowl: thanks for that great idea!! It's so easy for me to get on the computer & just lose track of time, but I'm going to start using that idea! Maybe I'll finally get to work on all the ideas floating in my head and finish up the UFOs. Blessings to you from another Michigander!