Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all retirees >

Calling all retirees

Calling all retirees

Old 08-04-2012, 06:19 AM

I retired yesterday!

Thank you for your wonderful insights! I have friends who tell me they have no idea what they are going to do when they retire. I have so much I want to do, I'll never get it all done! I've kept a "dream list" or "bucket list" for most of my life and have periodically updated it. I know I do best with an underlying daily schedule, and I also treasure those times of "flow" - where you get so involved in a project that you lose track of time. There are far too many UFO's calling my name. On Monday morning, I'll figure out a tentative schedule, BUT I'm taking the weekend off!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:38 AM

I've been "retired" for 2.5 years now...actually was layed off from a high stress corporate job and after some reflection, realized that I didn't HAVE to go back to work. I was old enough to start my SS and had a pension here and there. I realized that I had been gifted from Heaven!!
I remember my first "retired" day I spent at the computer for 8 hours, just like I had at work...old habits die hard. I still spend too much time online but oh the things I've learned and the friends I've made especially on FB. With the computer, and going to the gym 5 days a week, and 5 dogs, 2 cats and a house to clean and a husband to feed lunch and dinner to etc. I find it hard to break away and go sew. The answer is a timer and better time management. You'd never know I actually taught time management in several companies!
I've seen about 5 of us here mention timers and mine is right to my left at the computer. But, no matter what, I go to QB to see what's up. I've learned so many good things here...the latest being Pinmoors. Whoever recommended them should be sainted!! I ordered, used and LOVE!. Meanwhile, I'm too darned busy to lose myself in quilting and I regret it. Hence, a new leaf....just as soon as I look at the pics posted today!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:41 AM

Have been retired since August 2006. It took me about 4 years to start enjoying it. Never understood fully the term, "goal oriented" until I retired and realized that, by nature, that's what I had always been.....start a job, complete it!...start a project, complete it. Realize that's a goal many strive for and that can be a good thing but, if taken too far, you never learn to relax. At some point along the way though I reached the conclusion that when working I had to pick and choose what I had time for but, since I was retired, I could do ALL the projects I wanted to and that it was impossible to complete ALL of them at one time...even though I tried!!! Everytime I turned around there was another "really cool" pattern to be tried, a new craft to be learned, new fabric to play with, new computer site to visit, new book to read, etc., etc., etc!!!! Never could understand the concept of "being bored" . I'm doing much better now as a recovered goal-a-holic! I do what I want, when I want and I've learned to like it. But, I will use the timer idea.....that way I can do what I want for a specific period, do something else for a specific period, etc. and, eventually, they ALL get done. We do not have air conditioning (by choice...LOVE to have the windows open, listen to the birds in the daytime and the crickets at night ) but this summer has been brutal with the heat. So I alter what I do with the season and enjoy each day.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM

I retired 5 years ago and have loved every day of my life since because my retirement gift was a Bernina embroidery machine. I am on the quilt board but not as much anymore because it seemed to be taking over all my quilting time. I do some type of quilting every day whether it is embroidering blocks for my next quilt, piecing, and in the evening I do most of my hand work while "watching" tv with my husband. This summer I have even added lots of reading as it can be done outside, though I have set my FW sewing machine up on the patio because I always have a great new project to work on. Retirement is a busy time when did I have time to work. LOL
Hope everyone is having a fun retirement-
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Although mine was pretty much a "forced" retirement (I was laid off, my husband became disabled, I'm the only driver) I managed to do some quilting and sewing, although I think I accomplished more when I was working and snuck in sewing/quilting, early in the morning, before and after dinner, plus some weekends. Now, I'm recovering from a spinal cord injury, C-4-5 in my neck, 2 weeks in the hospital, surgery, then rehab for 4 months, I've been home a little over a month, but I'm beginning to get into the "groove again", with limitations. My friends say that I'm a lot happier, now that I'm quilting again - me too. I made 3 Bow Tucks bags last week, now I want to finish a couple "play" quilts for my granddaughter, so I guess I'm on my way back. I thank God every day that I have recovered over 90% since I fell, so I feel very lucky.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:21 AM

...as for spending too much computer time- a few of us (i started they thought it a good idea) set timers- when i am turning on my computer i set a timer for 45 minutes- my timer has a 1minute warning beep= when that one minute beep happens i finish what ever i'm in the middle of & i shut down the computer- then i get up & go do something else- ckcowl

I agree that this timer is a great idea. The computer can be a real time suck and not very productive at that. Great discipline technique.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 AM

I have been retired for 10 yrs. and only started quilting about 6 yrs. ago-I have always sewn or painted my entire life but I wish I started to quilt about 25 years ago - I love it-I am into art quilts and fabric dying now-
Old 08-04-2012, 09:18 AM

What a great question! I've been retired 3 whole months now, and have been going through being totally bored to not leaving the computer, to sewing constantly. I am finding that I really need to feel like I'm doing something worthwhile and not wasting time. I've made blankets for Project Linus for a long time, and now I'm on a terror with that.
I can't sit and watch TV without having something to work on so I can accomplish some that way.
The other thing I've noticed is, I am now finishing a few things I started long ago. I am terrible at that so it has become a goal to finish at least one thing for every new thing I start - well with the exception of the PL blankets. Those I get done.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:46 AM

I get a lot of quilting done each day after I spend the first 2 hrs reading qb
Old 08-04-2012, 11:27 AM

my hubby always says "i worry about you, when you retire. what are you going to do?" hah. i've been working in hospitals on one level or another since i was 14, as a candy striper. i can't ever remember having enough time to relax and do something i really want to do. even with babies' births, by the time i got organized, it was time to go back to work. i guess he hasn't figured out that all the times i stayed up late making easter dresses for the girls, sewing for friend's newborns, making quilts and comforters were all practice for when i hang up the gloves and intubation equipment. i haven't been "banking" all that fabric just to insulate the sewing room! it's my retirement savings!!!