Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all retirees >

Calling all retirees

Calling all retirees

Old 08-05-2012, 08:49 AM

What a wonderful thread. It has been a joy to read about what others have done with retirement and how I relate. I have been retired for about 15 years myself. And quilting was what I wanted to do and I have been doing that ever since. My hubby became ill a yr ago and quilting has kept me from going bonkers but I don't seem to get as much completed as my days at home are constantly interrupted. When he became housebound, they told me to keep my quilting groups up as I needed to have an outside activity away from home and I have done that. Finally even went to a retreat overnight, my first one, this past spring. Not sure there is any retreats in the future though as it becomes harder and harder to be gone overnight. I have a long arm and do for others but the stress level is such that I have given up doing as much for others for $$. I plan to quilt and sew as long as I can. I too spend far too much time on the computer although I do limit it and housecleaning and everything else now in our home is my responsibility. Quilters are my best friends whether on line or in groups. I try to sew every day and hand sew in the evening--does not always happen but 15 min sometimes is the best therapy.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:36 AM

I am busier now that I retired than when I worked. I volunteer at the local food bank, help run the free library (our population is only 450) help make scarves and blankets for the xmas angel tree, garden, (flower and veggie) and now quilt. So I guess I just quilt when I am not busy with other things. Do love it though.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:50 PM

Default Just a question from Australia

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
Just how much quilting would you say you get done in a day or week? Are you sporadic or constant? Are you guilty of spending more time on the QB than actual sewing like I do? Are you guilty of spending a fair amount of time virtual fabric shopping or at least window shopping?

Seems like it's all or nothing for me. Can't think of anything else but quilting for hours and days at a time or can't stand to look at it the next week. Obviously I haven't found my true rhythm yet, it's only been 4 months since retirement. I do tend to cut and piece in the daytime and hand quilt at night.
I am a 56 year old full time worker from down under and reading these messages about being retired and having time to quilt when you want to and not fitting it in made me green with envy. It also got me thinking about the retirement age in the USA as compared to Australia. My husband, the builder, broke and had to retire when he was 53 so our plans to retire together when he was 60 and me 57 went out the window. The retirement age for me in Australia is 66 and a half before I am eligible for any kind of a pension if I am not to be a self funded retiree, and beleive me on any Monday when I go to work I know I am not going to make it! Here the retirement age goal posts keep getting moved further and further away from what used to be the standard 65 for men and 60 for women. I was wondering if this is the same there?
Old 08-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Today I have spent all day here catching up on 10 days worth of QB. In the past two/three weeks I have gotten caught up on all the alterations that needed to be done & worked on a special project for someone. Made 142 chair covers (straight back) that was needed for a special occasion. Made it on time. No wonder I was behind in my QB.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:44 PM

I am not yet retired, but I have clients who are and they say the way they get to quilt and sew is to have a group get together and get out of their homes to make time to do projects, they meet at the local Senior Center at least once a week, they started a group so they could not only grt out of the house, but to be able to quilt and talk
Old 08-05-2012, 03:59 PM

Now that I've retired, I started the TV program, and seem to have less time for quilting that when I was "working"
Old 08-05-2012, 04:44 PM

I've been working on some projects so I've been quilting a lot. Did take a day out to read a book and I go to the gym daily for about 45 minutes - a short walk from home. I hesitate to get it all on a schedule in fear of feeling like I'm working again!!! I quilted a lot when I worked but have more time for Linus and some hero quilts now too.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 PM

I retired Sept 1998 and have loved every minute of being retired, without a job(thank goodness), rarely having to set an alarm clock now, and I am so busy, I dont know how I ever found time to work !! My spouse says that when you retire, you loose all of your organizational skills.......I think he is right! Who wants to vacume when you could be sewing..I sew, usually, every day.........when I cant, I find symptoms of withdrawal soon happen. I try to do 2 quilts every week, for LINUS.....plus, I do quilts for family and friends.....and there always seems to be someone who needs a hug.......quilt hug, you know...........so I manage to keep a couple of larger ones, in reserve, for the next person who I find that needs a little something. And someone always comes into my life that is in need. So, I sew a lot....many miles put on my machines, and its the best hobby thing I have ever had .. been quilting for about 13 years now.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 PM

I retired early. After my husband passed away over 10 yrs ago I turned the bedroom in my apartment into sewing room. I spend most of the day there, me, my sewing machines, my serger , and my PC. What else could a girl want (besides the fridge and chocolate). I sometimes spent endless hours sewing-after the compulsory couple of hours playing with the lap top of course. I love retirement: eat when I'm hungry, sleep when sleepy, and who says I can't?

Last edited by hevemi; 08-05-2012 at 10:23 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 PM

I've been home for 5 years now. I was so much more organized when I worked. Hubby told me the other day that he couldn't figure out why the house was always clean and we had food in the house when I worked. I told him that I didn't have enough play time then and now I do. We have adopted 4 dogs and 3 cats since I retired and they require lots of attention--but sure are fun. I am currently reorganizing my scrapbook room and my sewing room, so by the time winter rolls around, I'll be ready to go. Have fun and enjoy your retirement. You've earned it!