Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all retirees >

Calling all retirees

Calling all retirees

Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM

I have been retired since 2000 and just really got into quilting about 4 years ago. I too am sporadic. Some days I spend almost all day on the computer checking out tutorials, looking a blocks and "window" shopping fabrics. Then some days I start at the machine right after the morning coffee and still am there at dinner time.....Today I plan to get back to a top I'm working on for my DIL. It's all in purples, whites and lavenders. Have at least 3 more to do for family members and if I don't get started pretty soon it will be Christmas before they get them !!!
Old 08-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Power Poster

I retired for a year, june 2010 - June 2011 and made 18 quilts. Working I can only make about 16 or 17. How I spend most of my time. Of course, I have hosework, laundry and such. I went back to, I felt I was too young to retire. We have a family business so not like many other jobs.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Dee

I'm retired 8 years and it took a while for me to realize it. Now I relax and take care of DH and sew. I have a goal list and when it gets done - it gets done. I rushed to work with a family and now its time to rest. So enjoy.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 AM

I'm not retired nor can I work due to health reasons. Can't get on disability so I try a few days at my Aunts office answering the phone a couple days a week. I LOVE fabrics, looking at patterns and collecting, I purchase fabrics, by the neat little gadgets, collect loads of magazines but...I can't ever seem to get started or work on anything. My daughters require a lot of my help and so I do for them and the 8 grandchildren. What little money I make at my aunts normally goes on utilities and or the children. I've let myself go, don't feel worth much these days. No friends except family...no really! I can't keep up with them going shopping or styles or hair fashions so...I almost feel as if I exist for other people instead of myself. I've thought of selling everything I have because I have no time or ambition. I LOVE being on here trying to interact with the ladies here and really, sometimes I feel this is all I have outside me of real life here at home. I love coming here, I was in a swap but unable to fulfill my end of the swap because my daughter forgot to mail my package for me so, that wound me up out of the swap until next year. Which is ok, I loved participating when I did for almost 2 years. Oh well, I didn't mean to go on like this, sorry to had bent your ear for so long. But, yeah, I wish I could get into the swing of things and get my life back...that was like 8 years ago when my husband and I were together. I loved him so much but his love of alcohal was to much and I left for Chattanooga. Still married and wishing things were the same but...maybe one day I'll get a life! Ha! Thanks for listening ladies.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
I'm not retired nor can I work due to health reasons. Can't get on disability so I try a few days at my Aunts office answering the phone a couple days a week. I LOVE fabrics, looking at patterns and collecting, I purchase fabrics, by the neat little gadgets, collect loads of magazines but...I can't ever seem to get started or work on anything. My daughters require a lot of my help and so I do for them and the 8 grandchildren. What little money I make at my aunts normally goes on utilities and or the children. I've let myself go, don't feel worth much these days. No friends except family...no really! I can't keep up with them going shopping or styles or hair fashions so...I almost feel as if I exist for other people instead of myself. I've thought of selling everything I have because I have no time or ambition. I LOVE being on here trying to interact with the ladies here and really, sometimes I feel this is all I have outside me of real life here at home. I love coming here, I was in a swap but unable to fulfill my end of the swap because my daughter forgot to mail my package for me so, that wound me up out of the swap until next year. Which is ok, I loved participating when I did for almost 2 years. Oh well, I didn't mean to go on like this, sorry to had bent your ear for so long. But, yeah, I wish I could get into the swing of things and get my life back...that was like 8 years ago when my husband and I were together. I loved him so much but his love of alcohal was to much and I left for Chattanooga. Still married and wishing things were the same but...maybe one day I'll get a life! Ha! Thanks for listening ladies.
Certainly hope you can find the joy in something soon because there is so much in the world to enjoy.
Hoping there's an ALANON organization near you and, if so, would STRONGLY urge you to attend. It's only for an hour, one day a week. Check the phone book in your city. You are as important as your family so TAKE that hour for yourself no matter what other demands there are. ALANON is not for the alcoholic. It is to teach you how to undo the damage done to you. You have already taken the biggest step in knowing you alone do not have the solution. Good luck and so happy you enjoy the QB.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM

I got more done while I was working and how go just quilt when I actually have extra time. I think while we were working we knew we had to get it done and now if it doesn't get done today we can do it tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:45 AM

I retired 12 years ago. Several times I have gone back to part time work and during that time, I did very little quilting, but I did get some done. The last job was part time in a quilt shop. It was fun, but still very little quilting. I have been home retired for the last two years plus, and I get to sew/quilt about 15-30 hours a week average. This past week I think I only sewed about 3 hours, but it was a busy week for me outside of the house. I really do not know where I foung time to work. I am bad. Really enjoy retirement and getting what I like done every day. Yea.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 AM

Retired since Nov 2009 and DH retired Jan 2010. Changing family needs have given us lots of free time. First year felt a little strange and 'at ends' but it didn't take long to readjust our lives. He bought his dreamed for RV and we have spent about 5 months out of the year (not at one time!) on the road. I have revived all my crafty things (fabrics, oil paints, beading supplies) I think I have too many interest Finally I made the ever growing list of to-do's and ideas and UFO's. Recently was gifted a Singer Model 15. I am having a great time cleaning it up. Am amazed at the beautiful stitches and how quiet it operates being 75 years old. Will admit I spend a lot of time with the QB but it is worth the time spent. Everyone is such an inspiration and so talented. Thanks to each one for your mentoring and willingness to help! I can now plan and play with my creative ideas without dealing with deadlines. I like that!
Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I get less done now that I don't work. I haven't sewn in about 4 days. And I don't think I will for another week or two. I get burned out too often. I almost make it my job because I don't work anymore. I've had lots of times where I'll sew for weeks and weeks and weeks and then...nothing. I close the door and stay out of there. I am not motivated right now. I need some motivation.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa View Post
I took early retirement 20 yrs ago. At first I owned a quilt shop with my sister and that kept me busy, finally closed that after 10 yrs and have made sooooo many quilts I lost count. Now I sew most every day at home because I also take care of DH who needs supervision and can not be left alone. Thank goodsness for quilting, helps me keep my sanity. But it is hit and miss depending on the day. sometimes I make a list of things that needs to be done and that helps. Enjoy your time
mic-pa, I to retired years ago ,that was to take care of DH, sewing and the computer kept me connected with the out side world. He passed away in 2001 , but quilting and QB has helped me keep going. I travel summers but the sewing machine and computer go too.